The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need the water pump inlet elbow and seal.
As I have 93k on the truck I'll likely need a water pump eventually, too.
The local parts store has a Gates water pump (come with elbow and seal), so could get the Gates pump and solve my elbow/seal problem and have a water pump for future install.
My question, is the Gates water pump a good pump?
--Don't want to fool around with anything that's not the best.
Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I already have another question on my above post:
The elbow and seal that will come with the Gates pump .....will that elbow and seal fit onto my factory original water pump?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To makes things simple, who makes the Ford OEM water pump and where can I get one (besides a Ford dealer)?

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
To makes things simple, who makes the Ford OEM water pump and where can I get one (besides a Ford dealer)?
The OEM is AIRTEX AW-4114 and it does come withe gasket and elbow.

I only needed the elbow since my original waterpump still worked fine. I removed the elbow and gasket and bolted it right up to my factory waterpump. I still have the new waterpump in its box on my parts shelf.

BTW, I bought the entire assembly here on Amazon:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-AW4114-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B001LTVHD8[/ame]

I have no experience with the Gates.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! That's exactly my situation and I'm going to do what you did.

I only needed the elbow since my original waterpump still worked fine. I removed the elbow and gasket and bolted it right up to my factory waterpump. I still have the new waterpump in its box on my parts shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-AW4114-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B001LTVHD8

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
so what goes wrong with the elbow and or the gasket/seal?
I will try and find a photo I took when I pulled my elbow off.

The rubber seal was dried out and had lost all flexibility. It was flattened out as well.

That was the reason for my leak.

My old elbow had developed a fair amount of rust and that is why I upgraded to the new cast elbow. The elbow alone was about $40 so it was more cost effective to buy the entire waterpump assembly mentioned above and have it when needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-AW4114-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B001LTVHD8

Holy-cow did I just pay way too much for my water pump and I thought I was saving money. Haha. Well, my last one lasted 12 years & 160k miles, so I can't complain. Motorcraft at $245.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Holy-cow did I just pay way too much for my water pump and I thought I was saving money. Haha. Well, my last one lasted 12 years & 160k miles, so I can't complain. Motorcraft at $245.
It just goes to show that this forum can save you money :grin2:

·
Registered
950 Posts
It just goes to show that this forum can save you money :grin2:

It was RT that pointed me to the Airtex as being OEM.

Or cause you grief.

Before assuming that the Airtex 4W-4114 is the exact same water pump as the Motorcraft, have a look at the link to Amazon that you posted, and read the top review from a verified customer who purchased both the Motorcraft and an Airtex waterpump, and posted pictures from several angles comparing both pumps side by side. Regardless of what the reviewer said, or what RT said, look at the photos for yourself, and make your determination whether or not they are the same pump.

After the first AirTex failed, the reviewer bought the Motorcraft water pump, but while he was waiting for the Motorcraft pump to arrive in the mail, Amazon offered to send him another brand new AirTex pump to make up for the one that failed. Both new pumps ended up arriving at the same time, which is what motivated him to closely compare the two pumps, and post his photos for others to see, especially those who believed that the pumps were the same.

I'll let you read the review to learn which pump the reviewer ended up installing in the end. I found the link to this review in your post, above.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi NYB,
I noticed those photos also and didn't think the Airtex pump looked the same as the Motorcraft.
Took another very close look at my water pump and decided it has zero leaks so bought just the elbow and gasket and replaced them today.
....After seeing those photos, not sure which pump I'd get.

Or cause you grief.

Before assuming that the Airtex 4W-4114 is the exact same water pump as the Motorcraft, have a look at the link to Amazon that you posted, and read the top review from a verified customer who purchased both the Motorcraft and an Airtex waterpump, and posted pictures from several angles comparing both pumps side by side. Regardless of what the reviewer said, or what RT said, look at the photos for yourself, and make your determination whether or not they are the same pump.

After the first AirTex failed, the reviewer bought the Motorcraft water pump, but while he was waiting for the Motorcraft pump to arrive in the mail, Amazon offered to send him another brand new AirTex pump to make up for the one that failed. Both new pumps ended up arriving at the same time, which is what motivated him to closely compare the two pumps, and post his photos for others to see, especially those who believed that the pumps were the same.

I'll let you read the review to learn which pump the reviewer ended up installing in the end. I found the link to this review in your post, above.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
The lesson is learned Gents...the only way to be assured of quality components is buying Motorcraft branded parts.

Sorry to steer you wrong Farnorthdriver.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Not always. Many of it is China junk now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
All I know is I feel comfortable that I installed a quality part in my opinion that has not let me down in the past for expected life. Still saved $850 on labor the Ford dealer quoted. :laugh2::grin2:

Reactions: ArcticDriver

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
So I have researched this Airtex product further and it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty and the Ford Motorcraft has a 1-year warranty...but we all have seen that the length of warranty can be inversely proportional to the actual build quality. It can be a marketing ploy.

But reading through many of the customer reviews on the Airtex does indicate many purchasers have been satisfied enough that it averages 4.1 out of 5 Stars and the Motorcraft PW455 averages 5 out of 5.

Does this suggest you have an 82% chance of not having a failure ? >:)

Several of the complaints were with the gasket being of poor quality or being damaged in the box during shipment.
How many of these were the result of improper installation vs inferior internal components is not clear.

Have any of the TDS guys installed the Airtex waterpump? I will most likely install the one I have when my factory pump goes south.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.