The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all
I have not been on this site in ages and I am curious if there are any original 7.3L owners that still have their truck since new.
Mine just turned 21yrs old and currently has 343K on the speedo. My truck has been a absolute jewel to own with only having two complaints and that being the damn foot falling off the fuel pick up ( 5yrs ago ) and worn out rear leaf springs.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Kind of. My pickup in signature was bought by my father in January of '95. 1200 miles, never titled- just dealer swapped. I've messed with things on it (Dana 60 front axle, AFE 4" exhaust, TYMAR filter setup, flip chip) and kept up on maintenance. Paint is getting poor and dents/dings from life on the ranch but I'm known to hop in it and go anywhere. Pull hellish heavy loads with it, and have a bale bed to install this winter. Everything earns its' keep at the Beck Ranch....!

Reactions: Bill Wincapaw

·
Registered
722 Posts
Bought my truck in june 1998- still have it with 168,000 miles. Runs like a top.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
June 1998 from Grande Truck Center, San Antonio, TX. Just over 175k miles. Use rate dropped significantly after trading our travel trailer for a motor home in 2007. Runs great, knock on wood that it continues to do so. Always garaged when not in use, a genuine NO RUST jewell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ordered New in March 2001 - 2001 F-350 Dually 4X4 Crew Cab - Still have it, 75,400 Original Miles - Runs like new

·
Super Moderator
26,649 Posts
Bought mine new in Oct '99. It had been on a lot for quite a while since it was a Jan '99 build. Has a little under 250K on it, but I've had some issues, like a cracked engine block, a couple three clutches, trannies. But I'm not giving it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my 2003 F350 crew 4x4 7.4L in Dec 2002. Still running great but had some problems over the years. Latest was the instrument cluster died. Got a replacement yesterday and seems to work but mileage is about 40k higher than my low mileage truck had. Truck has about 140k, new cluster says 185k I think

Other major issue is the steering is wandering. Replacement about everything in the linkage and its a little better but still wanders. Put steering dampner on and that helps a little too.

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
I'm still putting around in my 96 that I purchased on July 5, 1996.

She doesn't get as many miles put on her now as I did years ago and she sits in the garage more than I like but when she gets out there is no stopping her.

No major issues, I did have a cracked tail housing on the transmission that had to be replaced but other than that and a few minor repairs she still gets out and goes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my 2003 F350 crew 4x4 7.4L in Dec 2002. Still running great but had some problems over the years. Latest was the instrument cluster died. Got a replacement yesterday and seems to work but mileage is about 40k higher than my low mileage truck had. Truck has about 140k, new cluster says 185k I think

Other major issue is the steering is wandering. Replacement about everything in the linkage and its a little better but still wanders. Put steering dampner on and that helps a little too.
Mine was wandering also and thats when I noticed the the rear leafs were worn out ( if it wasn't for the Timbrens the axles would be riding on the frame bumpers. I will update once I install new ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I read somewhere that the front 4x4 ujoints might be causing it too but I only found that mentioned once. Leary of throwing more money at another fix that won't work.
I don't think my suspension is worn much, truck has had pretty easy life. Not been used as much as I planned when I got it. Was getting a truck camper but changed to a camper trailer for a few years instead. But I am very interested in your results! The wandering was freaky scary before I changed all the things I did already. Sucks cuze when the truck was new, it drove straight as an arrow.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read somewhere that the front 4x4 ujoints might be causing it too but I only found that mentioned once. Leary of throwing more money at another fix that won't work.
I don't think my suspension is worn much, truck has had pretty easy life. Not been used as much as I planned when I got it. Was getting a truck camper but changed to a camper trailer for a few years instead. But I am very interested in your results! The wandering was freaky scary before I changed all the things I did already. Sucks cuze when the truck was new, it drove straight as an arrow.
Had mine at two front end alignment shops and both told me everything is fine ( no Charge at either ) which then lead me to look elsewhere like the sagging rear springs shifting/pivoting weight to back of truck??

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I bought my truck new in April 2002, it has not been cheap to maintain or own but it has given me good service and many enjoyable tinkering hours.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine had wandering steering too. Main culprits were the front hubs and the gear box. Had 2 shops look at it and both missed the hubs.

Reactions: Megathumper2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine had wandering steering too. Main culprits were the front hubs and the gear box. Had 2 shops look at it and both missed the hubs.
was there a fix or you had to replace both ? When you say gear box, do you mean steering gear box? I already replaced that, it helped some.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The wandering kept getting worse, until I had a hub fail on the freeway while pulling a trailer. Luckily no accident, but I had to replace both hubs, one caliper and caliper mount, all the seals, and I did a complete brake job. I now own a "hub bearing lubing tool" from RiffRaff that allows me to lube the "non-service-able bearings" in the hub periodically. Hopefully they last longer this way. The hub problem was a long time coming...the previous owner had put aftermarket rims with big tires, and also 2, 1/2 inch spacers because the wheels would rub. Eventually the rubbing got worse for me, but I just thought it was the big tires when in reality the hubs were so worn the wheel would flop around. If it's your hubs, you should be able to feel the play in them if you lift the front end and wiggle the wheels.

Reactions: Megathumper2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all
I have not been on this site in ages and I am curious if there are any original 7.3L owners that still have their truck since new.
Mine just turned 21yrs old and currently has 343K on the speedo. My truck has been a absolute jewel to own with only having two complaints and that being the damn foot falling off the fuel pick up ( 5yrs ago ) and worn out rear leaf spr

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not since new but I've had my 2001 for 20 years. 210,000 miles. Brakes rotors calipers pads virtually every year has been the only unexpected flaw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all
Mine just turned 21yrs old and currently has 343K on the speedo. My truck has been a absolute jewel to own with only having two complaints and that being the damn foot falling off the fuel pick up ( 5yrs ago ) and worn out rear leaf springs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 F250 lariat 4x4 ordered it March 2001.
236,000 miles, was in Texas just relocated to Wisconsin so a little more care expected.

I had numerous issues wth the 4R100 transmission. The same transmission I had in my 1/2 ton. :unsure: after replacing it twice, once on Ford's dime the second on mine.
The third time I did my research and upgraded to ATS components. Expensive but 120,000 miles later still running strong.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My wife and I ordered our 2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, new in May 2000.

We ordered the top of the line “Limited” trim with every option
IE Towing Mirrors & Rear Sensing System,$95.00,
6 Disc CD Changer $495.00,
Heated Seats $290.00.
7.3 Powerstroke $4005.00
Total List was approx. $46,600.00 and we paid approx. $41,000.00 plus Tax and license, as I recall.

I was at the dealership when the transport truck, with our Excursion at the very top position arrived. I watched as the driver carefully unloaded it.

We also shopped the Suburban, but found the Excursion easier to back up, because GM’s trailer tow mirror option was not good, at all. Also, GM did not offer the Back-up sensor, which was pretty new in 2000(but common now) Also, I really wanted a diesel, which GM did not offer in the Suburban. The view out the front is so much better than the GM units! Commanding, I would say. It was odd, the first time on the highway, noticing we could look directly in at drivers in Tractor-Trailer rigs!

The knowledge that, while I was working, my Wife was transporting herself and our 3 children and dog, in an 8000 pound (with fluids and fuel) Tank, sitting high above the bumper of any drunk driver, or idiot who might run a stoplight and hit them, was PRICELESS to me!

Shortly thereafter we purchased a 26” Toyhauler (and dirt bikes and an ATV, for us and our 3 kids). The Excursion towed it’s approx. 7000 pounds, with ease!

It is completely stock, except I added the Ford AIS (Automatic Idle System). It was a factory option on F Series Pickups, but not Excursion. This is used on tow trucks and ambulances, to set idle speed higher, for charging at crash and other scenes.

We also towed the Toyhauler (without toys) approx. 30,000 miles, on 3 “Circle Of America” road trips. Visiting historical sites, attractions and family. A LOT of memories made there!

I have maintained our Excursion, “By the Book” OR BETTER! At 202,000 miles, it starts, drives, steers, stops like NEW! I changed the transmission fluid and filter, every 30,000 miles and added a bottle of “Lube Guard” Lube Guard replaces the lubricant value, of the Whale Oil that was eliminated from AT Fluid, starting in the 1970’s. (Highly recommended by transmission shops, and others).

Axle fluid and Transfer Case fluid, every 60,000 miles. Flush brake with every brake job, or 2 years. ETC., ETC.

Engine oil and filter change, every 3000 miles(when towing) 5000 miles when not towing. I always use Motorcraft FL1995 Oil Filters (I saved EVERY box top) and Chevron Dello oil. I always FILL the new oil filter w/ fresh oil, before installing it.

Since the Sulfur that is in diesel fuel, to lubricate the internal part has been reduced to almost nothing, since the 1970’s, I have added an additive to most every fuel fill-up……..since day one. I use either 2 Cycle Oil, or Power Service Diesel Additive. This restore the “Lubricity '' of the missing Sulphur.

Other than maintenance, I replaced, or had replaced, the following:

Left and right front wheel hub/bearing assemblies
Front axle resealed
8 Fuel Injector “Cups”
Glow plugs and glow plug module.
New Radiator and rear axle rebuilt (under warranty)
Serpentine Belt

UPDATE FEB 2021
A FEW MONTHS AGO AT 202639 MILES, THE DEALER INSTALLED A NEW ICP S (INJECTION PRESSURE CONTROL SENSOR) TO CORRECT AN ENGINE OIL LEAK

IN THE PAST FEW WEEKS THE IRP (INJECTION PRESSURE REGULATOR) BEGAN LEAKING ENGINE AND I INSTALLED A NEW ONE.

I INSTALLED A NEW SERPINTINE BELT TENSONER ASSEMBLY, IDLER PULLEY AND SERP. BELT, TO CORRECT A NOISE.

ALSO, I INSTALLED A NEW ACCELARATOR PEDAL ASSEMBLY, TO CORRECT AN INTERMITTANT SURGE AT LOW SPEED ACCELARATION.

NOW AT 214,000 MILES! “THE BIG GIRL” AS MY WIFE CALLS HER, HAS TAKEN US ON 7 ROUND TRIPS, FROM N CA. TO S UTAH, FLAWLESSLY. 10 HOUR DRIVES, EACH WAY.

I have every receipt, work order, factory brochure, Factory Shop Manual Set, Ford Salesman's Selling Guide, window sticker and bill of sale. I have over 25+ years of professional Automotive Repair Business experience and training. I have owned over 55 vehicles, in my day and our Excursion was THE BEST of them all!

I expect this vehicle to remain in our family, long after I am gone. There will never be another SUV like the 2000 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel 4X4, Excursion.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts