The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99.5 F250 XLT, Black, Medium graphite interior. 4 " Turbo back exhaust. Diy intake, AVP Plenum,DP.
11 Posts
Hello all
I have not been on this site in ages and I am curious if there are any original 7.3L owners that still have their truck since new.
Mine just turned 21yrs old and currently has 343K on the speedo. My truck has been a absolute jewel to own with only having two complaints and that being the damn foot falling off the fuel pick up ( 5yrs ago ) and worn out rear leaf springs.
99.5 21 years 103k like showroom!
Owes us nothing! Best truck ever..
Do tuner, 4" exhaust, ats housing and more!
Could use new rear springs too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all
I have not been on this site in ages and I am curious if there are any original 7.3L owners that still have their truck since new.
Mine just turned 21yrs old and currently has 343K on the speedo. My truck has been a absolute jewel to own with only having two complaints and that being the damn foot falling off the fuel pick up ( 5yrs ago ) and worn out rear leaf springs.
Have a 2001 F-550 with the stock everything except it's a custom RV hauler by Eclipse with dual 30 gal tanks, air bags, fold down rear bench seat, the most comfortable front seats you could ever sit in. Has 312,000 on it now but drives wonderful loaded. No dents or rust and original paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2000 7.3 bought used with about 9k on the clock in 2001, now at 202k runs good, little rear seal leak and has almost from new. Replaced Water Pump at about 50K, Hubs at about 150K, Front Brake Pads about every 80K, I am on the 3rd Belt, Alternator at about 175K. and at 201K I replaced the vacuum pump and again 4 months later, I guess offshore made without any lube on the eccentric. I hope it goes another 75K with only minimal problems. This has been about the best and most dependable I have ever owned. One little glitch once in a while the Speedo and 4th gear won't work, and the light on the shift lever flashes, a restart usually takes care of that. Thank you FoMoCo. and IH.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all
Bought my Laredo in 1990 and still use it (when I need it). Mileage just turned 100k and, yes, there is a shelf life on parts. Working on AC which is better than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Maybe some day I'll sell it but it keeps me connected to yester year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello all
Font Rectangle Material property Handwriting Paper
Font Rectangle Material property Handwriting Paper

·
Registered
384 Posts
830,000 miles on early 99 F250 CC, SB, 4x4. Original "cackling" injectors. lol. Re sealed engine, including injectors at about 550,000. Waste of time. Bore scope cylinders while injectors were removed and saw much cross hatch. Oil consumption is low enough for concern. About 5000/ qt. No, it's not "making oil" from fuel or water leaks... oil analysis verified... it just isn't using much. Been including upper end lube additives off and on since its oil consumption leveled off.

Should have replaced injectors during re-seal job, tho. About two of them are doing the stiction miss for the first 10 minutes. Ive verified that those two cylinders are not getting fuel so new injectors are on the list but just living with it for now. T6 oil and archoil anti-stiction additive helped.

First tranny experienced broken spot welds in torque converter while still under warranty. Installed shift kit, etc during that episode and that tranny ran to 550,000 miles. Still convinced that failure was a simple valve body issue but time & travel situation didn't permit anything but replacement. Midway Ford in Kansas City replaced it with what i understood to be some type of commercial config? IDK, still fine, so far at 830,000.

Brakes were a major pain that first 100k, or so... they were turned, replaced, upgraded, etc, etc,... till one day... i observed my disk being turned and saw round circles emerge during the cutting... those circles corresponded to the holes in the aluminum wheels... Long story short, i stopped washing my wheels at the car wash and no more disk trouble since!

Unbelievably, the drive shaft u joints are original! Right rear wheel bearing failed this past summer and so i had the drive shaft replaced at that time. Right rear leaf spring also had a broken leaf. It had Firestone air bags since day two, tho... so i never noticed the spring sag and no clue how long the leaf had been broken

The two times its been towed were when the tranny failed and then a failed IDM, due to rocker gasket contact shorting. I've kept that rocker cover gasket that ultimately cost $800 hanging on the wall.

Other problems? Couldn't keep freon the the AC... replaced EVERYthing in AC system and never found the "leak". Happen to hear the relief valve pop off once and determined that the air side of the radiator was plugged. The engine has NEVER over heated but AC condenser definitely needs air flow. Radiator had developed a leak and replacing it fixed AC. I replaced it with a welded aluminum radiator. Seems ok. Fitted a magnesium sacrificial anode into a plug on the water pump.

Updated Air filter to a beast of a filter at 550k.

Also replaced Ford alternator with a Leece-Neville long ago. Ford's commutator kept wearing out. Brushes too hard? Or?? IDK, end of problem with Leece-Neville.

That's all i can think of right now. The truck doesn't own me ANYthing... :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello all
I am driving my 1990 XLT lariat 4X4 with 316K miles It has an E4OD auto transmission that seem to die every 100+K or so, also the fuel picks rot off. Other than that, if it starts it runs. Jazzrockskier Clyde

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ordered May 2002 (delivered in June). Still going strong at over 363k. Have done several upgrades and lots of maintenance (and a few clutches) over the years. Rust is the primary thing killing it, but it still tows great.

Reactions: Bill Wincapaw

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hello all
Yessir, purchased mine, new in the box, in Feb 2002. Used it as a commuter and for towing our travel trailer for the first 3 years. Amassed about 131K on it in that time frame. Transferred my job closer to home and got a take home ride for work and just rolled over 154K last month. Only leisure use now. In the last couple years, I've had to replace the HPOP and some other minor work, water pump leak, alternator and the o rings on the fuel pump drain, but it's been a great truck! The mechanic I took it to for the HPOP found out I am the original owner and said he'd give me $19K if I wanted to sell it to him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all
I have my brothers 93 f350 7.3 idi, cc dually, bone stock, 283k, new paint, runs great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well my 7.3 turns 30 this year, It is/was an International 1991 7.3 chugger. Engine never quit on me up to 490K when we parted. Rear end froze up and had to replace it. Sold the truck and bought a 2004 6.0. Great service until last year at 317K the oil cooler went. Replaced that, radiator, PCM, FICM, Starter and a few other parts. Now own a 2016 6.7 L.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My daily driver is still my 1997 F250HD 4x4 CC MT which I bought new off the lot when the first 99 was rolling on the scene in 98. At 265k miles, it's almost broken in! The nice thing about long-term ownership is that you really get to know the in/out of the vehicle (and this forum has been great for advice and help).

Reactions: Sagelike

·
Registered
806 Posts
Ordered mine new in 2001, first 2002 to land at my dealer. Every time I think about selling it and getting something new, I look at the complexity of the new engines and smile at the simplicity of my 7.3. It’s been a great truck. 190k miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ordered my '03 Memorial Day weekend 2002, delivered 7/31/02 443,000 miles on it now... had a fuel leak on top of the motor early that was covered under warranty, gone through countless alternators and batteries (dual), RF hub and shocks/brakes, water pump @ 160k, LF hub and brakes @ 380k, overheated the motor and replaced with a Jasper block @ 406k, upgrades in my sig. Circuit Board Medics has my dash and trip computer right now but the truck has done thousands of trips on I-70 to the mountains and hauled my boat to NC, TX, MD, RI for fun and (before I retired) spent a lot of time in the oil fields along the Rockies from Canada to Mexico. Wheels haven't fallen off yet so I guess I'll keep it. Needs a paint job because it's never been in a garage.

Outside Gillette, WY

A block from the Mississippi River in Davenport, IA

Reactions: Bill Wincapaw

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great thread!

This is a long post.

I was looking at and trying to purchase a 1999 F-350, Crew Cab, 8 ft Dually in 1999. Had the keys and the window sticker in my hands when we ran into a snag. We had a Ford Credit Card that gave us "points" towards the purchase of a new vehicle - at that time, we had almost $500 worth of points and of course wanted to use that on the purchase of the truck. I don't know why but the dealership refused to accept the conditions even though the person from Ford credit was saying it was legit. So I walked out of the dealership without the truck that night being told that they would get it straightened out the next day. The next day I am told the truck has been sold to someone else. We used to purchase Fords from that dealership on a regular basis, haven't bought anything from them since the brand new '96 Probe my wife bought.

I still had the window sticker to that truck and finally found a salesman that I had purchased a number of Fords from over the years at a different Ford dealer. I gave him the window sticker and told him I wanted a truck just like it. It was ordered in July/August of 1999, I took delivery of my 2000 Ford F350 Dually on November 3, 1999. My truck stickered for just a bit less than $40k and the deal was that I had to pay for the truck the day it arrived and it had to leave the dealership before closing. I paid exactly $28k plus title tax and plates.

My truck today has 164k miles on it. Unfortunately the clear coat is gone in a lot of places and the interior seating leather has seen better days. I have a bump in the front bumper from a deer but the truck has never been wrecked. I did have someone back into one of the rear fiberglass fenders and crush it but I know how to do 'glass repair so I fixed it and had it repainted by a shop.

Mechanical repairs haven't been too bad really:

Rear calipers and disks
Rebuilt fuel filter bowl due to leaking o-rings
Front discs
Complete front steering components (except steering box)
ABS Sensor
Electric Door Locks (4)
Cruise Control Sensor

Normal brake pads, wipers, lights, tires and batteries.
All of the repair work is done by me - it's never been back to a dealership for anything.

My youngest son purchased a GMC truck last year but keeps having some issues with it. He also bought a new race trailer this past Spring and we needed to go to Georgia to pick it up. We left in his truck early one morning but only made it about 40 miles from his house when the truck had problems and we had to limp home. Ended up that he had several sensors that were in a failure mode. A few weeks later he asked me to go pick up the trailer for him and offered his now repaired much newer truck for the trip. I told him that was okay, I wanted to get there and back with out any problems. I drove over 1100 miles round trip, half of it pulling a 36 foot, 10k pound trailer without so much as a hiccup.

I am currently working on making minor cosmetic repairs and upgrades to her, in the Spring she gets a new coat of paint and then we're going to address that seat leather. Great truck and maybe I was actually lucky missing out on that first one.

·
Registered
'79 F350 xlt extra cab 7.3 auto dually. Stock. 240,000. Bought new.
20 Posts
Hello all
Bought my '97 in early '98. 240,000 mostly good miles. Used to work it pretty hard but mostly just lumber or dump runs now. Currently down for its 2nd water pump and replacing the fuel tanks/ bowl, etc. Was still running good when the pump went (are the bearings supposed to be scattered on the ground?) 2nd tranny. Noticed the output shaft seal is starting to leak as is the pinion seal. I'll do the driveline next month along with some light performance upgrades as well as some 3:73s. My biggest issue was with Ford. I had a $600 repair bill before I made my first payment, for tires, eccentric bushings and an alignment. It was because I was already over 12,000 miles even though I'd started trying to get it fixed with 8,000 miles on it but it was always 'We've got an opening next Tuesday @ 3:00' or some such nonsense. I was obviously driving it pretty hard and had no idea what state I would be in 'next Tuesday'. Probably wasn't going to be in Nebraska or wherever I was at the time. It still had the plastic on the carpet and on the passenger seat. Since then, its been a pretty good truck. Just kinda falling through the cracks a little on maintenance while the SEVEN cars my wife has had during that period got all the attention.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts