The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a quick favor please run out open your hood and look at the idler pulley under the Altenator (lower right Passenger side) is that pulley smooth or ribbed?

I can't get a straight answer at the parts store. The part # I got from here is a ribbed 8 groove, at parts store shows up on a 95 but not 94 but my belt is 6 groove? Last night the parts store gave me a smooth pulley and got me home I need to know specifically for a 94 PSD.

Need to get this done quick cause I need truck tomorrow.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If its a PSD then its a 8rib, IDI has 6. They will not list a PSD for 94 so always just tell them a 96 PSD and they wont fight you on it. On thier computers it will only show 7.3 IDI for 94's.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just went out and looked at mine. The top pulley is the tensioner and it has a smooth surface. Under it is a idler pulley with ribbed surface. Hope this helps.
-Matt

·
Registered
237 Posts
The one directly under the alternator is smooth( it pushes the smooth side of the belt )

Good luck, Hans.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I picked up a Gates # 38502 (I believe) ribbed pulley, it will not fit on the shaft...It bolts on, but rubs the bracket when tightned.

I promise it is a powerstoke even got the DIRECT INJECTION cover on the motor.

This is the lower idler all way down on the right hand passenger side.

The belt is wrapped around pulley ribbed side against pulley I checked and the belt is a 7 rib not 8 rib.

Man I am loosing it cause I trust all you guys but this [email protected]#ned thing is not working I put the smooth pulley back on cause it got me home last night but I think it is suposed to be a ribbed as described above. The original pulley (when it let loose) is gone meaning the only part left was the bearing and race.
I will be calling a buddy of mine at the Ford house tomorrow and see what he says.

Anybody got anymore ideas for part number out there?

I am not doing good here.
John

·
Registered
237 Posts
if it runs the ribbed side the wheel will be ribbed, my understanding is that different size belts( no. of ribs) were used, mine has 7.
I looked again and my tensioner is smooth, there is a ribbed one underneath it but it is not a tensioner.

Greetings, Hans.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a smooth tensioner pulley and directly below it is a ribbed pulley. I didn't bother to count the ribs though. I will try and locate a part number for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The following part numbers are for a 1994 F350 DI turbo with vin 'F', they are for all idler pulleys both with and without A/C, you'll have to do the rest! If you have a different vehicle try going here.

YS-222 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; 7 RIB; Upper; Direct Injection; W/AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-218 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; 7 RIB; Lower; Direct Injection; W/AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-263 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Used In Place Of AIR Conditioning Compressor; Belt; W/O AIR Conditioning; Direct Injection; Base
YS-274 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; Dealer Installed AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-176 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Used In Place Of AIR Conditioning Compressor; Belt; W/O AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-262 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; Smooth Tensioner Pulley; In Direct Injection
YS-279 [Idler Pulley Bracket] Belt; Field FIX Reference CP95XP023; Factory Installed AIR Conditioning; Base

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lowest one is the one I am looking for.
I am hoping it will make it to work on the smooth one.
4XStroker let me know if you come up with a number for it I know the Gates 38052 will not work it rubs on the housing.

The parts computer at Orielly's list a 8 rib for the 95 but only 6 and 7 rib belt for the 94's I have a 7 rib. The pulleys on all the accessories are 7 rib.

Thanks guys,

John

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Look on your belt routing diagram and find the pulley you are looking for. If the belt runs to the inside of the pulley then its smooth, if it runs on the outside of teh pulley it is ribbed.

I am tryin to remeber but I think all the idlers are smooth, tensioner is ribbed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[ QUOTE ]
Look on your belt routing diagram and find the pulley you are looking for. If the belt runs to the inside of the pulley then its smooth, if it runs on the outside of teh pulley it is ribbed.

I am tryin to remeber but I think all the idlers are smooth, tensioner is ribbed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bean the tensioner pushes on the outside (non ribbed part of the belt) the idler lowest pulley on the right hand (passenger)side has the belt running inside(ribbed part toward the pulley) That is what is making me think that the pulley should be ribbed. As my foggy brain remembers the pulley that was on there before it decided to leave it's home was not ribbed but I can not swear to it.

I am just trying to figure it out so I can get the correct one back on there.
John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just looked at mine, the pulley is ribbed with 7 ribs on the belt.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Spent a good bit of time today foolin' around with my serp belt, so it's fresh in my mind. Immediately below alternator is smooth tensioner pulley; uses 6203-2RS bearing. As an aside, I replaced the bearing several weeks ago, and last night heard a singing "shhick, shhick" sound, like a bearing going south. Today I checked and the tensioner puley was loose again. Pulled it, and the bearing was not snug within the pulley (as in press-fit), but was loose enough to push out by hand; this allowed the pulley to move toward the tensioner bracket, making the sound. I ended up putting a layer of stainless steel tape around the bearing, then tapping it home with a big socket and a hammer. No more loose pulley. Is this the problem you're having with the new pulley?

Below tensioner (still on pass side) is an idler pulley; it's ribbed, as is the inside of the belt where they meet. It just might use the same bearing, and may be loose. Worth checking anyhow. Good luck.

Josh R

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[ QUOTE ]
The following part numbers are for a 1994 F350 DI turbo with vin 'F', they are for all idler pulleys both with and without A/C, you'll have to do the rest! If you have a different vehicle try going here.

YS-222 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; 7 RIB; Upper; Direct Injection; W/AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-218 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; 7 RIB; Lower; Direct Injection; W/AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-263 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Used In Place Of AIR Conditioning Compressor; Belt; W/O AIR Conditioning; Direct Injection; Base
YS-274 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; Dealer Installed AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-176 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Used In Place Of AIR Conditioning Compressor; Belt; W/O AIR Conditioning; Base
YS-262 [Idler Pulley & Bracket] Belt; Smooth Tensioner Pulley; In Direct Injection
YS-279 [Idler Pulley Bracket] Belt; Field FIX Reference CP95XP023; Factory Installed AIR Conditioning; Base

[/ QUOTE ]

4Xstroker I missed your post last night.
Thanks for the part numbers it is a 7Rib.
I will go check those out.
You rock.
John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Allrighty mystery solved my buddy that is a parts guy for [email protected] just left. For the 94 PSD lower pulley number is the YS-218 or motorcraft full number F5TZ-8678-A it is a 7 rib pulley.
Fit like a glove. Good to know it is right. BTW part cost me $15.92 with free delivery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. This part is specific to the 94 PSD and will not fit the 95 up.

Thanks for the help
John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts