The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a replacement tailgate last year on E-bay. I don’t know if it’s made lighter than stock but have noticed the inside of the gate bowing down from the weight of loading my 4-wheeler.
Between my Artic Cat 500 and myself I’m well over 1000 lbs. I bought a 13” X 51” steel tread plate 3/16” thick today and am reinforcing the gate, but am curious if anyone else has run into this problem?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here’s a picture— I already have the holes drilled for the 3/16 tread plate (painted it today)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I noticed a slight bend in my tailgate after I left it up and pulled away from the 5th wheel!! I lived with it until we tried to load a Polaris Ranger in the back and the ramps came off. Anything to help spread the weight should help when loading heavy stuff.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed a slight bend in my tailgate after I left it up and pulled away from the 5th wheel!!
DENNY

That would do it! I’m sure there were a few expletives.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed/bolted in the tread plate, drilled 1-1/8” holes in the bottom of tail gate for access to install lock washers and nuts and installed 1-1/8” plastic sheet metal/body plugs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,086 Posts
Look at Riv-Nuts. You could have used those instead of drilling access holes. Riv-Nuts are blind nuts installed from the front side to allow bolts to be installed without access to the back side.

I believe that even a stock tailgate would bend under 1000 lb load. Don't have any direct experience with it though. But I have a few low spots in the bottom of my bed from something that must have been unloaded unevenly.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, that would have worked. Haven’t seen the riv-nut gun in any of the tool stores around here but do remember seeing an ad on Facebook

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
You could of also used a blind nut instead of a rivet nut, they are close to the same thing except for the blind nut you don't need a special tool, you just use a bolt and a nut to secure them into the hole that you drilled. They work similar to a molly bolt but a lot more secure.

As for the tailgates, there have been a lot of complaints about them not holding up to a rider and a ATV as they load them. This has even been with factory tailgates. I don't think that I would trust the aftermarket ones at all to load a ATV into the back of a truck.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
While the cables are one problem area the actual tailgate is a bigger problem. Some have even recommended taking the tailgate off and resting the ramps on the bumper.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, the first thing I did when I received the tailgate was drill and bolt the angle clips on the bottom corners for the hinge pockets and mig welded (tacked) the pockets (or whatever they’re called) as the spot welds looked awfully weak. Now with the tread plate and adding additional brackets I can’t see it going anywhere. The only downside I can see is additional weight.

In retrospect though it’s probably a lot of work for nothing— If I can find a truck camper soon I’ll be pulling a trailer with the 4wheeler during hunting season- Lol. ☺

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
However it is always nice to have it fixed to where if you do need it it is ready.

If you want to really get ambitious on a way to haul your ATV I can get you some pictures and specs for a carrier like this one. We haul two ATV's from Colorado to Arizona for hunting every year this way. Then for the rest of the year I usually have a single one on my truck so that I have full use of the whole bed. The ramps pull out either side for a pull on pull off. This is a picture of a friends truck with my ATV up on it.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
However it is always nice to have it fixed to where if you do need it it is ready.

If you want to really get ambitious on a way to haul your ATV I can get you some pictures and specs for a carrier like this one. We haul two ATV's from Colorado to Arizona for hunting every year this way. Then for the rest of the year I usually have a single one on my truck so that I have full use of the whole bed. The ramps pull out either side for a pull on pull off. This is a picture of a friends truck with my ATV up on it.

Wow bugman! , that’s a heck of a climb up on top of the bed rails.

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
Here is a picture of my truck with both ATV's up on it.

The angle of the ramps isn't too bad and the ATV's go right up them. The ramps extend out 11' either side. You don't notice just how high you are until you get up onto the bed rails and then look down. I have backed my ATV down them a couple of times and that is when it get interesting. But pulling up and driving off of them isn't as bad as you would think.

·
Super Moderator
25,086 Posts
And with that setup, you only get bugs on one side. :grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts