The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running stacks for a few years on my 97 and my old 88 had stacks too. I haven't driven my truck in a few months (paint job work) but I was talking to a guy I know, and he claims he isn't going to do stacks because he was informed that the cops are immediately pulling guys over with stacks. I told him that I don't think this is true. I got my truck inspected in October with no problems, and I have never had a cop give me a second look in the past, but I keep the noise and smoke down.
Just curious is anyone has actually had a real problem....that they didn't bring on themselves.....like fogging out entire streets, etc.
Just curious,
Jerry

· Registered
3,689 Posts
It is all interpertation of the current laws.

Federal law state the is to be no alteration of stock exhaust system of any kind for any reason.

That being said there are millions of people that have...............

· Registered
20 Posts
Jerry,

I see a lot of trucks running around my neck of the woods that have stacks. Have'nt noticed any of them pulled over. Being a past state inspector and bearing the law has not changed; I could not reject a vehicle unless it had a leak in the system or the converters where altered or removed. As an inspector we could not reject based on noise level either.

There very well may be a federal law about alteration however I am not aware of it.

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry,

I see a lot of trucks running around my neck of the woods that have stacks. Have'nt noticed any of them pulled over. Being a past state inspector and bearing the law has not changed; I could not reject a vehicle unless it had a leak in the system or the converters where altered or removed. As an inspector we could not reject based on noise level either.

There very well may be a federal law about alteration however I am not aware of it.
Thanks for the info. I think the guy who said they are getting ticketed, either didn't want to install the stacks for the guy I know, or else he knows one guy that got a ticket and so, everyone is getting a ticket.
I'm keeping my stacks!
Jerry

· Premium Member
3,840 Posts
He probably knows a guy whose girlfriend's brother-in-law in San Diego heard from his parts man's mom that her second cousin in Florida got a ticket in Virginia (or somewhere east of the Mississippi) for exhaust stacks (or maybe it was speeding).

· Registered
472 Posts
I have had three due to noise ordinance violation. Its because I have turnouts and not miter cuts and the sound is directed from the truck sideways instead of up. This was all a city ordinance though and none of our townships follow this.

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had three due to noise ordinance violation. Its because I have turnouts and not miter cuts and the sound is directed from the truck sideways instead of up. This was all a city ordinance though and none of our townships follow this.
Thanks guys.

· Registered
35 Posts
Mayb

Im one of the twisted diesel boys down in va bch. some of my buddies with stacks get pulled over by *^&% cops and get get checked to see if they have the cat on. I got pulled over for speeding a couple of weeks ago and the cop crawled under my truck to check my exhaust....and i have a completely stock exhaust right now :O

· Registered
376 Posts
There is nothing that states that stacks are illegal. Only that thee exhaust must exit beyond the passenger compartment. Now if you are too loud or dont have your emissions stuff on, that is another story. I have had 2 truck w stacks and no mufflers for over 100k each. Never had any issues. Just dont drive like a jerk for them to give you a reason to stop you. O and technically a turbo is a muffler:thumbsup:

· Registered
444 Posts
i've driven in northern virginia many times over the past 3 years i've had stacks, never had a problem, saw many cops along the way as well

· Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I figured it was just someone blowing it out of proportion about the cops. My 88 had 4" stacks for 3-4 years, most of which was in Blacksburg, VA. That truck could fill those stacks with some soot. My 97 didn't get stacked until about 3 years ago, and I have yet to have any problems...knock on wood. With a 4" lift, 35" tires and stacks about 6" above the cab, I get very few noise complaints from people around me (in lower cars) and I do try to keep the smoke way down, unless I know no one of any consequence is around.
Thanks again,
Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.