The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to figure out how much weight I could put in the back.
1300 lbs of concrete did not make it sag much, same for 1000 lbs of batteries.
Can’t believe the GAWR means I could put 2-1/2 tons in the back of this thing - is that correct?

ford_van_gvwr_door_sticker1 copy

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) and GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) are the total weight ratings, including the weight of the vehicle, the passengers, the fuel, the cargo, and anything else that is in the truck. It is not the weight of the cargo only. If you want to know how much payload you can carry, then take the truck, full of fuel, the number of passengers that you plan to carry, and anything else that you plan to take with you minus the cargo to the scales and have it weighed. The difference between the weight of the vehicle with fuel, passengers, and whatever else you carry and the GVWR is the amount of payload that you can carry. The payload must also be balanced properly so that you do not exceed the GAWR on either axle.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes good sense!
(I had to do that with the RV.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's not as fun as it sounds, unfortunately. My '01 CCSB 4x4 F250 has about the same in the door sticker as that. It weighs a little over 8000 empty with me sitting in it. I've owned cars that had more theoretical payload than that, pretty sure. The weight ratings went up significantly during the 6.0 years from what I've seen. These things were underrated in this area, imo.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
It's not as fun as it sounds, unfortunately. My '01 CCSB 4x4 F250 has about the same in the door sticker as that. It weighs a little over 8000 empty with me sitting in it. I've owned cars that had more theoretical payload than that, pretty sure. The weight ratings went up significantly during the 6.0 years from what I've seen. These things were underrated in this area, imo.
Wow!! Sure makes me glad I got the DRW F350. I have 11,500 lb GVW; so I have a decent payload.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts