The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
American Eagle makes 20" wheels for duallys. They are 7.5" wide and are direct bolt on for the current F350 bolt pattern. I'm about to order a new dually and I'm wondering if anyone runs these wheels and your experience with them. It seems that teh smallest load range E tire is the 275/65R20 that is the stock tire size on teh SRW trucks.

Revs per mile would drop from about 660 with the stock tires to around 610 with the 20" tires.

If you have ran this setup, did you like it? Problems? Concerns? Effect on fuel economy? Did the ride height change cause towing issues with 5r or GN hitched trailers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I looked their dually wheels before for a project I was doing to one of my truck --- check out their load rating for those wheels --- low ........

The are not hub centric,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would go with a forged wheel only !

Check out Weld Racing.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
What is the load rating of the rear axle?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the AE wheels. The rear axle rating is 8250 lbs.

I don't mind the 3000 lb rating of the wheels so much on the back as 12K total should be more than the rear axle rating. i think the rear axle rating on the new 2016 is 9750. (Quite an impressive # compared to my 2003 which as RAWR of 8250.)

I didn't realize that the AE wheels are not hub centric. I don't like that.

Anyone know of some 20" dually wheels that don't need adapters that are hub centric and preferrably forged?

I checked the Weld Wheels link. Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately, they only sell the stock size and 19.5" wheels which I'm not enamored with due to the lack of tire choices.

While I would like to go bigger, I will probably skip the wheel upgrade if I can't find some 20's that I like. I'd be happy with wider 17's or wider 18's but neither appear to be an option.

Cooper Tire makes a 255/80R17 AT tire and there is a BF Goodrich Mud tire in the same size. I'll probably just go to this bigger tire if I can't find some bigger wheels that I like.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
AE rear wheels= 2350 ea, 4700 a side, 9400 for the whole rear.

Seems like they will work just fine. I can't find an actual rating for the OEM rears.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have continued to look around on the 20" wheels and am posting to let folks know what I found for future reference. Turns out that American Force (not to be confused with American Eagle that I previously mentioned) has dually wheels. They have a few styles in direct bolt on. The 20" wheels are 8.25" wide and rated for 3500 lbs each and they are hub centric.

If I decide to go this route, these guys are the best option I have found so far for direct bolt on with no adapters or spacers required.

I'm still concerned about ride quality and ride height impact for towing, as well as the gearing. The ride height and gearing is easy enough to figure out. Would like to hear from anyone running 20's about their experience with ride quality vs. sticking with the 17's.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've been wanting to do the same myself (wheel and tire size). The only thing keeping me from it is I plan on getting a new truck next year (as soon as 17's are available) so don't know if I can justify the expense, especially the AF wheels. Upside is if I don't like the 19.5s then I'll have American Force can build a set for 10 lug! I have noticed that over time the American Eagles start to look dull and need polishing, not sure if American Force is the same (we are spoiled with factory wheels in that respect). As far as height you'd still be 2" lower then an F350 SRW with the 20" wheel option, or same height as an F250, and I haven't heard personally of any real problems they have had with height. (you will always find people complaining which is why mid year 99 Ford switched there duallys from 4" blocks to 2" blocks, but I personally never had any problems with the 4"s and wish they would have left it alone).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sportscraft. I had forgot about the spacer blocks. I just went and checked my 2003 DRW F350 and it has 2" blocks in the rear too. I didn't realize that Ford went to a 4" block and back to 2" for the dually.

I think it would be cool to put air bags on the front and rear and use the bags to lift and level the truck when it is unloaded and then deflate them most of the way when loaded. Seen some folks posts about their trucks riding better empty with airbags in the rear. I don't think I've seen any posts of folks with bags in the front and leveled out, but surely someone has done it.

The American Force wheels at 8.25" surely must stick out on the rear a bunch compared to the stock 17's that are only 6.5". I'd really like to see a truck with these American Force wheels on it up close and check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
The DRW rear springs should have a higher weight rating so they only use the 2" block to keep the "overloaded sag" away.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was kind of worried how they would stick out as well and look all around. I've seen pictures but you can't always tell with those. One idea I thought was buy the American Eagles first since there quite a bit cheaper, the if I liked the looks and performance I could step up the the American force and sell the Eagles. If not sell the whole darn package. I know the Eagles are narrower but I think would give a closer idea???? I could be wrong in that thinking but seemed logical.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts