The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a friend with a 6 month old "17" F250 CC 4x4. He has said from the get go that the bed dents easily. He is a general contractor and says he wishes he had his "12" back. Today he had to switch hitches and was setting the heavy 2 5/16 over the bedside. Of course these 17's are so damn tall that unless your 6'6" you can't reach the bottom of the bed. So the hitch was dropped about 6" like he has done a hundred times with his "12" Resulted in 2 holes in the bed. Either they need heavier metal in the inner bed or make it out of steel. The bulkhead is also pretty beat up from sliding ladders in the back. He's also disgusted hooking up safety chains but i found a solution for him on here. He used the "12" the same way and had NONE of these issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
All of my previous 150's had the same dents, and looked beat. My 2015 F150 and 2017 F350 I've had rino lined and I haven't had an issue at all and yes I use my truck, I'm a hardwood flooring contractor so my truck is always full of tools.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
All of my previous 150's had the same dents, and looked beat. My 2015 F150 and 2017 F350 I've had rino lined and I haven't had an issue at all and yes I use my truck, I'm a hardwood flooring contractor so my truck is always full of tools.
Scheduled to get mine installed in 2 weeks, for the same concerns this post was started.... to avoid tearing up my bed and tailgate

·
Registered
579 Posts
My trucks with steel beds all had dents too. We ordered our current truck, 2017 F450, with factory bed lining. It has no dents currently. But it may. I really don't care either way - it's a truck, not a garage queen.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm not a fan of the aluminum truck bodies. If you do haul anything heavy that has sharp edges there's a good chance you will get a hole in the bed. And the cost of body repairs is double that of a steel bodied truck. It shouldn't be, but many body shops are taking advantage of new Ford truck owners.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mine is a garage queen, and I couldn't bear the thought of even scratching the bed. It's my "dream truck", so I want it to stay nice as long as I can. That being said, it went to the Line-X dealer just days after I picked it up at the dealer.

Aluminum is a trade off and I am sure I added weight back in that is equal to a steel bed.

But I do think a bed liner is the way to go on these Alum beds.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Aluminum Alloy is a great material for many applications but it is not going to compare to the characteristics of steel for a truck bed.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Anybody know what type of alluminium they use? I've seen somewhere that is aircraft grade aluminum but there's a couples type lol some of those types are as strong as steel but not as friendly to play with lol

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Not "aircraft grade" but "military grade" is Ford's claim. Actually there is no such term in the metal industry as several grades are used for multiple applications, but Ford uses 5xxx and 6xxx grade aluminum alloys in the truck bodies. Here's an interesting article I ran across that you may find enlightening.
?Military-grade? Aluminum - SAE International

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Not "aircraft grade" but "military grade" is Ford's claim. Actually there is no such term in the metal industry as several grades are used for multiple applications, but Ford uses 5xxx and 6xxx grade aluminum alloys in the truck bodies. Here's an interesting article I ran across that you may find enlightening.
?Military-grade? Aluminum - SAE International
Thats right military grade not aircraft grade my bad

Thanks for the link

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My '03 has had Line-X since week one and I have no dents whatsoever in the bed. Of course, the bed is steel. Having said that, I would think the new aluminum bed with Line-X would provide plenty of dent resistance and also be lighter than a Line-Xed steel bed.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
My '03 has had Line-X since week one and I have no dents whatsoever in the bed. Of course, the bed is steel. Having said that, I would think the new aluminum bed with Line-X would provide plenty of dent resistance and also be lighter than a Line-Xed steel bed.
Line-X really is an amazing product... We even use it on our boats which are constantly exposed to a harsh salt water environment.

I don't fully understand why a lighter truck bed is a good thing. My F250s run better when I have atleast 200# of weight in the bed compared to empty.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Line-X really is an amazing product... We even use it on our boats which are constantly exposed to a harsh sal****er environment.

I don't fully understand why a lighter truck bed is a good thing
. My F250s run better when I have atleast 200# of weight in the bed compared to empty.
Yeah and with 400 horse power and 800 foot/lbs of torque, would you really even notice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Understand that "Military Grade" is a fairly loose term. Anyone who has served and been around the military equipment will tell you that one of Murphy's laws of war is to remember that your equipment is made by the lowest bidder. I was in from 97-06 and used the old hummv that was was made of this military grade of aluminum. Junk. The vehicle constantly had nicks, dents and holes in it. The original hummv had a 6.2L V-8 diesel engine in it, FYI.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah and with 400 horse power and 800 foot/lbs of torque, would you really even notice?
Basically so they can add that 200 lbs back in to the max tow rating / hauling capacity and make them "king of the hill" again! Also they say fuel economy, but don't see how a few hundred pounds will make a difference in that arena!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Get a steel bed and leave the wife at home....then it's a wash..... and you'll notice how much quieter it is in the cab.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
My comment is not directed to the OP. I personally think that too many are making to much of a big deal about the Aluminum Ford trucks. I realize hind sight is 20/20 but with the Aluminum body change being one of the more significant upgrade on the newer Ford trucks the question as to the quality and durability of the new Aluminum trucks should have been asked before the purchase. I don't believe in the 49 years I've been drive Ford vehicles have I ever questioned my choice after the purchase.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts