The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like everyone else, I’m having a hell of a time finding Rotella T6 5w-40 or Delo 400 XSP 5w-40 that I usually run in my truck. Even the places I’ve found that said that they can order, “but it might take a couple of weeks” have bumped the prices up sky-high. One place was wanting $160 for a 2.5gal jug of T6…that’s $64 a gallon!! I was buying gallons of T6 this summer for $28 on Amazon.

So I was talking to one of the guys I work with who has a brother that’s a lab tech at a large petroleum company. I was telling him that I was having a hard time finding diesel oil….he said “why don’t you just run the 5w-40 Euro oil that Mobil1 or Castrol makes?” I told him that I assumed that the diesel oil was a “heavy duty” oil, and the Euro car oil just wasn’t as good of an oil for my diesel truck. “Nope” he said…”it’s basically the same thing as far as data specs and test results, pour points, etc, etc……..it has more to do with emissions equipment and warranty ratings”.

In other words……he told me that on older trucks that don’t have all of the emissions stuff on them, and don’t have to run a certain spec oil to meet a warranty requirement…..you are just fine running the 5w-40 Euro car oils.

I can get a 5qt jug of Mobil1 5w-40 Euro synthetic oil for $22 ($4.40/qt)…….with the way things with oil are now, if you can even find T7 it’s more than double that price.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
26,910 Posts
If it doesn't have a CJ (or C-something) rating, (and when I searched for it, what I found only had S-ratings) I would NOT use it in a diesel engine.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The right oil is a pretty minor expense in the big scheme of things. It usually takes me most of a year to run through an oil change. That's plenty of time to track down a supply of T6. I buy it in pails and decant the pail into jugs that I save. Generally I've got at least a pail in inventory and usually a pail plus several jugs.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it doesn't have a CJ (or C-something) rating, (and when I searched for it, what I found only had S-ratings) I would NOT use it in a diesel engine.
With what this lab tech guy told me....that CJ/CK rating has to do with emissions, nothing with the actual properties of the oil itself. He said you want the CK-4 rating if you have all of the EGR and emissions equipment.

CK-4 rating wasn't even a thing back with the 6.0's came out.

It's not that I'm cheap...I just cant' find Rotella T6 5w-40 oil in my area....but I can find a lot of 5w-40 euro oil.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The right oil is a pretty minor expense in the big scheme of things. It usually takes me most of a year to run through an oil change. That's plenty of time to track down a supply of T6. I buy it in pails and decant the pail into jugs that I save. Generally I've got at least a pail in inventory and usually a pail plus several jugs.
I agree that the right oil is cheap...I'm just trying to figure out with the 5w-40 euro oil is the "wrong" oil. I would have never thought of even trying it until this guy said something....and he's a petrolium tech that knows oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts