The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Ohio. Several people I have talked to are swearing that this, Archoil, is the cure for this engine running smoother, producing nearly 0 exhaust plumes at first startup. I have switched to synthetic oil, T6 , but was wondering if this is needed. Archoil is considered to be a friction modifier. It might be snake oil for all I know. Please enlighten me if this is the real deal or not and thanks for your input.

· Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Greetings from Ohio. Several people I have talked to are swearing that this, Archoil, is the cure for this engine running smoother, producing nearly 0 exhaust plumes at first startup. I have switched to synthetic oil, T6 , but was wondering if this is needed. Archoil is considered to be a friction modifier. It might be snake oil for all I know. Please enlighten me if this is the real deal or not and thanks for your input.
I would have to see believable independent imperical data quantification before I invested my belief or money.

· Premium Member
9,058 Posts
It’s not snake oil. It’s especially good in 6.0s. They suffer injector stiction. Works wonders in them when you use both the oil treatment and fuel treatment. Diesel techs know all about the benifits of it. Get both.

· Registered
'02 7.3L Excursion 3.73 Warn Hubs AutoTranny
326 Posts
So far, all I have purchased is Howes Diesel treatment or Kleen, can't remember which.

After reading about Stiction, I am now thinking about getting the ArchOil Stiction eliminator also.

· Premium Member
9,058 Posts
John my man, Just the ticket for that ex fire captain’s Excursion that spent lots of time not being spun up.
Get the oil and fuel treatment and stretch those horses’ legs. Put it in park with the brake on. Get it up to normal operating temp. Run her up wide open throttle 3400 RPM for 5 minutes. Take her down to 1500 RPM for 5 minutes. Then idle for 15 minutes. Repeat process 3 times. Go drive the pee out of it. Knock them thar cobwebs out boy. I’ve worked in shops were it was pretty usual to have a handful of trucks at any given time out on the lot with bricks or throttle sticks on the pedal.

· Registered
White '99.5 F250 SD XLT 4x2, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed - purchased Oct'05
1,563 Posts
There are other things that may contribute to smoke at strart-up, so I wouldn't say that Arch Oil will necessarily fix that. However I used it through one winter oil change and was impressed with how quickly my truck passed through the extreme cold weather start-up roughness and noises, quieting the injectors and valve train. The warmer the temperatures the faster that takes place, or may be non-existent. However, Arch Oil is super expensive. I switched to Hot Shot Secret products and achieved the same results for far less money. Over my diesel ownership, one truck since 2005, I have used my share of snake oil, but Arch Oil and Hot Shot Secret do what they say. I have not used any Amsoil products, I hear good things but I'm happy with HSS. I have tried Lucas products and they may do exactly what they say but they don't quiet the engine like AO or HSS. This is all while using Shell Rotella full synthetic.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are other things that may contribute to smoke at strart-up, so I wouldn't say that Arch Oil will necessarily fix that. However I used it through one winter oil change and was impressed with how quickly my truck passed through the extreme cold weather start-up roughness and noises, quieting the injectors and valve train. The warmer the temperatures the faster that takes place, or may be non-existent. However, Arch Oil is super expensive. I switched to Hot Shot Secret products and achieved the same results for far less money. Over my diesel ownership, one truck since 2005, I have used my share of snake oil, but Arch Oil and Hot Shot Secret do what they say. I have not used any Amsoil products, I hear good things but I'm happy with HSS. I have tried Lucas products and they may do exactly what they say but they don't quiet the engine like AO or HSS. This is all while using Shell Rotella full synthetic.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate your view point. I will look up HSS which I have never heard of. Thanks again.

· Registered
326 Posts
Thank you for your input, I appreciate your view point. I will look up HSS which I have never heard of. Thanks again.
Acronym for "Hot Shot Secret"

· Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Since you posted in the 7.3 section I’m supposing that’s the motor you have is indeed a 7.3
I asked a similar question in 2018 and I believe it was RT (among others) that told me the 7.3’s are not normally affected by stiction. The 6.0’s are another story completely.

I also run the Rotella T6 and 1 quart of ashless 2 stroke outboard motor oil to every tank of fuel, and Howes in the winter months per instruction. The two stroke oil has been studied and documented in laboratory tests to provide lubrication for the injectors. I see Archoil as you stated......”snake oil” if it is being used for stiction in a 7.3

Lots of marketing hype to sell more units IMHO.

· Registered
326 Posts

· Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Most of the guys on the forum running the 2 stroke oil are using the Super Tech Walmart Brand.....which was the actual oil that was tested...I’ll see if I can find the Study that’s been printed here on TDS numerous times.

Liquid Fluid Material property Font Service

· Premium Member
1,416 Posts
See the #2 post by bugman in the attached post from 2010, then on list of additives- the motor oil tested ;Super Tech TC-W3 was rated #7 from the top:

· Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Pay special note to the disclaimer!!! May damage 2007 or newer engines

ahh...... the beauty of the 7.3 😉

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys , iam leaning towards the Hot Shot products. It is distributed nearby where I live and it was commissioned br Navistar for their engines which the 7.3 is. Thanks for a who have had inputs.

· Premium Member
1,416 Posts
it was commissioned br Navistar for their engines which the 7.3 is
what are your references to support this? From a video I just watched from the President of Hot Shot Secrets he said......... after their product came on the market in 2004 Navistar and Ford had already parted ways.

· Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Most of the guys on the forum running the 2 stroke oil are using the Super Tech Walmart Brand.....which was the actual oil that was tested...I’ll see if I can find the Study that’s been printed here on TDS numerous times.

View attachment 187968
That is a Blue colored oil, if one were to inadvertently have some Red colored fuel ..... The fuel mix with the oil would be a Violet color in your Dahl. That's a royal color

· Premium Member
1,416 Posts
if one were to inadvertently have some Red colored fuel
😉 around here that would probably buy you time in the pokey, or a heavy fine since (non road) agricultural use diesel is dyed red. My fuel is alway Blue 😃

· Premium Member
2,262 Posts
😉 around here that would probably buy you time in the pokey, or a heavy find since (non road) agricultural use diesel is dyed red. My fuel is alway Blue 😃
I use the same 2-stroke oil, mix it 50/50 with Power Service, gray bottle, my engine seems to run smoothly and with a bit more pep. Off-Road fuel is not commonly found where I live. It turns my visible fuel in the Dahl Globe blue.

Reactions: Big Horn

· Premium Member
9,058 Posts
What ya do is keep two one gallon jugs,one half empty of Marvel Mystery Oil in the back of your truck, it is red. If you get wick tested, just say, Nahhh, I dosed with this here snake oil. My daddy in law says it will make her run gooood.

I joke. Light pickups don’t get wicked unless the man passes by the filling station and spots you. Your only saving tax money with off road diesel and it’s all ultra low sulfur distillate now. Same stuff as home heating oil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.