The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running the arch oil fuel additive and just changed the oil and added the oil additive from archoil in my 6.7. I have seen an increase in fuel economy. I would reccomend this product to any 6.7 owner. The fuel addictive will protect your fuel system and keep water out. The oil additive does wonders for the motor and could save your motor from failure. To me it is worth the money to protect a 50k investment. Esp. For the people who rely on these trucks to make them money. Just wanted to share with everyone

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have been running the arch oil fuel additive and just changed the oil and added the oil additive from archoil in my 6.7. I have seen an increase in fuel economy. I would reccomend this product to any 6.7 owner. The fuel addictive will protect your fuel system and keep water out. The oil additive does wonders for the motor and could save your motor from failure. To me it is worth the money to protect a 50k investment. Esp. For the people who rely on these trucks to make them money. Just wanted to share with everyone
Can you supply some details?

How many miles have you run on additives vs before you started using them? What was your mpg before and after?

How much of an increase in mpg? You say you just changed the oil, so I'm assuming any increase came from the fuel additive.

I don't mean to be skeptical, but recommendations that sound like manufacture ads don't go very far with me. Educate us as to how you determined the improvements.

Reactions: Egwilly

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went from 14 to 16.3 avg. that's the dash reading. Granted I drive around town a lot and on and off with landscape and dump trailers. I have seen 18 on the interstate. There are also more benefits than the fuel economy as far as the lubricant in the additives
Can you supply some details?

How many miles have you run on additives vs before you started using them? What was your mpg before and after?

How much of an increase in mpg? You say you just changed the oil, so I'm assuming any increase came from the fuel additive.

I don't mean to be skeptical, but recommendations that sound like manufacture ads don't go very far with me. Educate us as to how you determined the improvements.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No, I got about a 1 mpg increase in fuel mileage when I started using AR6200 fuel additive in my 2015 F350. But where it really shines is in my gas engines that started running poorly from fuel sitting too long or just old age. My 2002 Subaru had a rough idle and off-idle bog that AR6200 fixed and made it fun to drive again. If I forget to use AR6200, it returns to a rough idle and bogging. My gas generator would only run with the choke partly closed. I added AR6200 and it runs smooth with no choke now. Same with my snow blower. I just put the AR6200 in my fuel storage cans now as it is also a fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was running Opti-Lube Summer+ and decided to try Archoil. Since I had Opti-Lube left I used them together. Can't say I have seen any big change in MPG's. When I last changed my oil I add their AR9100 oil additive with the Amsoil Premium 5W-40 I am running. What I have noticed now is that my regens went from happening every 200-250 to close 400. Currently I have 290 miles since last regen (I look at the mileage myself) and I am at 1.98gpl with about 100 miles of that city driving. Truck has been doing a regen about 3.45 - 3.55 every time unless towing. Then it is just every 500 miles.

So snake oil or not I don't know and I don't care. Running Opti-Lube and Archoil AR6200 in the fuel and AR9100 in the oil seems to have increased the miles between regens by 75%. I won't be deleting the truck so less regens sounds good to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1996 F250 7.3 L power stroke with 340,000 plus miles. It had become the loudest obnoxious sounding diesel that I have heard. It was getting to the point of embarrassing. Part of the loud sound was coming from rattling torque converter. I replaced it and sounded a lot better, however, it was still loud but at least now I had it mostly engine noise. I read reviews on Archoil and decided to try both the fuel and the oil additive at the same time, so I'm not sure which one contributed most. Within 2 miles I had a surge of power and rpm when pulling away from red light. Just regular throttle I did not romp on it. I was turning left from the light. Also The engine noise it changed for the better I was so tickled. Yea I said tickled. It only lasted just for that brief moment maybe a couple seconds but over time it continues to last longer and I haven't had to plug my block heater in this year yet, of course the temperatures have been warmer than normal.

I have about 3,000 miles on the product now. Still seems to be getting better and better my truck is quieter about 80 percent of the time and I believe it is quieter than when I first bought it in 1998 when it only had 57,000 miles.

I never recommend people or products, they always tend to disappoint. But I will recommend Archoil to anyone. So far I've been really impressed. I've tried many other products never noticed the difference in the change of my engine anything additives. This one you will definitely notice something at least if you have an older vehicle I don't know what it doesn't New O never noticed the difference in the change of my engine anything comes to additives. This one you will definitely notice something at least if you have an older vehicle, I don't know what it does for newer ones. I'm not sure my MPG's.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sounds like a new version of STP snake oil additive.
Sorry to the rest of you, but I feel the same way - snake oil it is. I can maybe see the tuners everyone uses - more on that later.

I've had three Ford 7.3. I used additives, and didn't use additives. I imagined a better running truck just like after it was washed. So, just like the Tequila test, I had my friend put additives in my truck, and not put additives in the truck. But he didn't tell me when (he worked for me and fueled my truck, I'm the only one that drove it other than when he took it do fuel up). I couldn't tell the difference and neither could the truck. And, who can really tell unless they drive the EXACT same way every tank of diesel? If you drive a delivery route from Junction, Texas to El Paso, Texas, every day, then maybe you would be getting valid data.

Again, these were 7.3s. Maybe things are different with the 6.7!

I might, I hope, be able to put this to a decent test in 2017. I have a deposit with Scott for a next generation Super Duty. When I pick up the truck I'll be driving to California to pick up a camper, then on to home near Talkeetna. So, I'll be able to, under highway conditions, be able to not only tell about additives and miles per gallon, but will be able to report on light weight mpg and heavy mpg. Regenerations will also be noted.

Now, as for tuners. There may be some tuning that will help mpg and/or power. But I bet these come at a cost of the environment. Wouldn't it make sense for Ford to put whatever tune they need on the vehicle to meet not only environmental regulations but also to compete with power and efficiency numbers with competitors? I can't believe they'd leave out horsepower or torque if it was available.

F450s rock!

·
Registered
584 Posts
No, I got about a 1 mpg increase in fuel mileage when I started using AR6200 fuel additive in my 2015 F350. But where it really shines is in my gas engines that started running poorly from fuel sitting too long or just old age. My 2002 Subaru had a rough idle and off-idle bog that AR6200 fixed and made it fun to drive again. If I forget to use AR6200, it returns to a rough idle and bogging. My gas generator would only run with the choke partly closed. I added AR6200 and it runs smooth with no choke now. Same with my snow blower. I just put the AR6200 in my fuel storage cans now as it is also a fuel stabilizer.
This is certainly interesting. I'll have to ponder this.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not snake oil and thanks for not deleting Elkhounds.
I've been of the opinion that it is snake oil. However, I do value an endorsement by Maryland dieselnick. I'll have to rethink what is going on here.

I would truly love to see some data that is not anecdotal. Yes, I think I've read some seemingly data driven articles that support additives. But they were written by a party with interest in the outcome of the discussion. Is there any purely empirical, data driven material to read?

I already have my thoughts on additives, but I'm open minded.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was running Opti-Lube Summer+ and decided to try Archoil. Since I had Opti-Lube left I used them together. Can't say I have seen any big change in MPG's. When I last changed my oil I add their AR9100 oil additive with the Amsoil Premium 5W-40 I am running. What I have noticed now is that my regens went from happening every 200-250 to close 400. Currently I have 290 miles since last regen (I look at the mileage myself) and I am at 1.98gpl with about 100 miles of that city driving. Truck has been doing a regen about 3.45 - 3.55 every time unless towing. Then it is just every 500 miles.

So snake oil or not I don't know and I don't care. Running Opti-Lube and Archoil AR6200 in the fuel and AR9100 in the oil seems to have increased the miles between regens by 75%. I won't be deleting the truck so less regens sounds good to me.
That is two of us running Opti-Lube with AR6200. The Opti-Lube Summer says 1-2 oz per tank so I just go with 1 oz. It boosts cetane while adding lubricity. AR6200 does not boost cetane, but is a "combustion catalyst". When I quit Opti-Lube for a couple of tanks, fuel mileage dropped so they do work better together for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've been of the opinion that it is snake oil. However, I do value an endorsement by Maryland dieselnick. I'll have to rethink what is going on here.
I would truly love to see some data that is not anecdotal. Yes, I think I've read some seemingly data driven articles that support additives. But they were written by a party with interest in the outcome of the discussion. Is there any purely empirical, data driven material to read?
I already have my thoughts on additives, but I'm open minded.
I understand the desire for non-anecdotal evidence, but I have searched for hours and can find nothing outside the original 2007 tests of additives. However, I did find one test that supports the technology used in Archoil's oil additive AR9100.
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/07/f17/ft018_erdemir_2014_o.pdf

And BTW, I already have my thoughts on the quality of US diesel fuels. :smile2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
My personal experience is fuel additives which raise the cetane level definitely increase fuel mileage. The Govt study looks interesting, now when Valvoline and Shell start producing it(Borate treated oil) I would be a believer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Now, as for tuners. There may be some tuning that will help mpg and/or power. But I bet these come at a cost of the environment. Wouldn't it make sense for Ford to put whatever tune they need on the vehicle to meet not only environmental regulations but also to compete with power and efficiency numbers with competitors? I can't believe they'd leave out horsepower or torque if it was available.

F450s rock!
Ford tunes the vehicles for middle of the road drivers, not enthusiasts. Even a simple transmission tune makes these trucks more fun to drive. Example: stock my truck goes into 6th at 40 mph. When it starts up an incline, it tries to hold 6th, bogs down, drops to 5th, bogs again and drops to 4th to recover the lost speed. Just a conservative tune changes the upshift to 6th to 45 mph and downshifts to 5th sooner so that it maintains speed.
Ford also re-tunes the engines on occasion to add HP and torque just to keep up with the competition. Why don't they do that from the start? Just because there is a better way doesn't mean the manufacture is going to do it. The same holds true for diesel fuel. The US has much lower standards than Europe where diesel vehicles are more popular.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Good morning, my experience with additives for three decades in the business has been using what parts had for flavor of the year, dump it in, put it in the yard, spin it up to 3200 and let her scream for about 4 hours.
Some work some don't. Some are great for fuel and some great for oil. It all depended on which system needed attention and how bad the components and or system in bad.

Noisy diesels are usually fuel pressure drop, fuel aeration and or stiction.
Injector components that do not wear perfectly will start to bind against themselves ( stiction). A quality product like Hot Shot, Rev X or Archoil will provide enough lubrication to get those components moving between themselves. Once this starts happening the surfaces start smoothing themselves as the metal is moving again without bind. The additive then merely acts as a superior lubricant that keeps the previously gauled like surfaces slippery.
It may not help if the parts are to gauled or flat out too worn. I have seen with my eyes these products work.
Fuel additives are an absolute must to pull emulsified water together, add cetane rate and lubrication.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
To tell you fellas the truth, the one additive I've always wanted to try but never got my hands on it, is the additive Clark Grizwald invented to spray on cereal to keep it from getting soggy.
Do you remember how he sprayed it on the underside of the saucer? Can you imagine what it would do in a diesel?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
To tell you fellas the truth, the one additive I've always wanted to try but never got my hands on it, is the additive Clark Grizwald invented to spray on cereal to keep it from getting soggy.
Do you remember how he sprayed it on the underside of the saucer? Can you imagine what it would do in a diesel?

Thanks for reminding me to go dig out that DVD. We watch it every year, love the theme song.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have tried both Archoil products and saw no difference in fuel economy in my truck. For that matter I have tried PS, Stanadyne, and Optilube and saw no improvement from any of them. I am not sure as to whether this is due to the cetane in Texas is already higher than most other states or some other factor.
So I just try to choose a fuel additive that I think is the best for my fuel system. I currently run Opti-Lube Summer. I am on the fence as to whether i should run Archoil with the Optilube. If I could see some mpg improvement as Ski does I would do so.

I will say that Archoil got my Stihl chainsaw and Husky string trimmer running and starting good again. I have been running Stabil Marine in them for years but they still had ethanol issues until Archoil cleaned them out.

Reactions: SkiSmuggs
1 - 20 of 45 Posts