The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personally, I think the LED's are a mixed bag. I do not have them on my F250, but I do have them on my Lexus. I find that, yes, they are bright, white, and evenly fill the road ahead of you. However, they, like HIDs, have a sharp cutoff to prevent excessive glare to oncoming drivers. This cutoff results in great visibility in short or medium range, but darkness far ahead. Halogens, which do not have the cutoff, have a short or medium range not as near as bright as LEDs or HIDs, but do throw some light farther ahead, without that distracting dark region far ahead.

Driving with LEDs, I find myself switching from low to high beams more frequently. A common occurrence is driving down into a big dip or wash. On low beams, the up-grade on the other side is dark, whereas with halogens it is clearly illuminated. I have to turn on the high beams to see the other side. Disconcerting if that climb is only 100 or so feet ahead. The LEDs have pretty good range if you are on level ground, but in terrain they can be problematic.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts