The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a left over 06 F250, probably a gaser, not sure I can swing the PSD payment. But I was wondering, have you guys found that trucks built at a certain plant, are better then others? I think I've noticed stickers showing the Kentucky or Dearborn truck plants.

Just curious what insight you guys may have.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
(KTP) Kentucky Truck plant and Mexico Truck Plant. You will need to speek Spanish in the Mexican truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am glad mine is made in USA

Louie

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
(KTP) Kentucky Truck plant and Mexico Truck Plant. You will need to speek Spanish in the Mexican truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I am glad mine is made in USA

Louie

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true.... your USA truck will have mucho parts from Mexico...

Paul B

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I think I've noticed stickers showing the Kentucky or Dearborn truck plants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, Dearborn is F-150s.

SuperDuty trucks are assembled at only two plants, Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) near Louisville KY, and the other one is near Mexico City.

The only difference is the first digit of the VIN: 1 = KTP, 3 = Mexico. And the plant code in the middle of the VIN will be different, but the country code in position 1 of the VIN is all you really need for a SuperDuty truck.

My dealer has sold bunches from both plants, and he says there is no difference. If anything, the trucks assembled at KTP are more likely to have nitnoid little problems than those assembled in Mexico. Both trucks will have a lot of parts made in Mexico.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Ive always been told it was more important not to buy one that was built on a Monday or Friday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Ive always been told it was more important not to buy one that was built on a Monday or Friday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or one from KTP on the 5th of July or one from Mex on the 6th of May /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or one from KTP on the 5th of July or one from Mex on the 6th of May /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha. Thats funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
Think Smokey is right on target. Mine was made in Mexico and it is the only vehicle I have ever owned in 48 years of driving that does not have a rattle yet.

I am sure many of the U. S. made trucks are the same, however. Overall, the superduty is a very well engineered and designed vehicle!

Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just another topic to debate. Shouldn't matter in the least bit and don't let anyone tell you to belive what you want to about where they are put together. Mine is "hecho en Mexico."

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't post the question to create a debate. I work in manufacturing and have seen over the years that some plants tend to produce better quality then others. I was just wondering if there might be any noticeble differences among these trucks.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
321 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Think Smokey is right on target. Mine was made in Mexico and it is the only vehicle I have ever owned in 48 years of driving that does not have a rattle yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because they use adobe filler and adobe doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because they use adobe filler and adobe doesn't rattle.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
1FTSW31P67EB***** so what can you tell me about my truck?

It has not been built yet for one.......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Colin:

Adobe has been on the Alamo for 170 years and it seems to be doing a good job. Hope my PSD holds together a fraction that long!

Should be a good game this year.

Hook'em Horns!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
18,870 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
1FTSW31P67EB***** so what can you tell me about my truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

1FT = FMC, USA, truck, completed vehicle (i.e., a pickup, not a chassis cab)
S = Hydraulic brakes, over 10,000 GVWR
W31 = F350 CC 4x4 SRW
P = 6.0L diesel engine
6 = check digit
7 = model year
E = assembly plant KTP
B***** = production sequence number

http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/

Group 1: World Manufacturer Identifier
Group 2: Brake Type and GVWR
Group 3: Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type
Group 4: Engine Type
Group 5: Check Digit
Group 6: Model Year
Group 7: Assembly Plant
Group 8: Production Sequence Number

Group 1..positions 1-3 - World Manufacturer Code

1FM - FMC, USA, multi-purpose vehicle
1FT - FMC, USA, truck, completed vehicle
1FD - FMC, USA, incomplete vehicle
1FC - FMC, USA, basic (stripped) chassis
1FB - FMC, USA, basic (stripped) chassis BUS

2FM - FMC, Canada, multi-purpose vehicle
2FT - FMC, Canada, truck, completed vehicle
2FD - FMC, Canada, incomplete vehicle
2FC - FMC, Canada, basic (stripped) chassis
2FB - FMC, Canada, basic (stripped) chassis BUS

3FB – FMC, Mexico, bus chassis
3FC - FMC, Mexico, basic (stripped) chassis
3FD – FMC, Mexico, incomplete vehicle
3FE - FMC, Mexico, incomplete vehicle
3FM - FMC, Mexico, multi-purpose vehicle
3FT - FMC, Mexico, truck, completed vehicle

Group 2.....Brake Type and GVWR POSITION 4

Don't worry about the codes - you know if you have air brakes, and whether you have an F-250 or an F-550.

Group 3.... Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type - positions 5, 6, 7

F20 - F250 RC 4x2
X20 - F250 SC 4x2
W20 - F250 CC 4x2
F21 - F250 RC 4x4
X21 - F250 SC 4x4
W21 - F250 CC 4x4
F30 - F350 RC 4x2 SRW
X30 - F350 SC 4x2 SRW
W30 - F350 CC 4x2 SRW
F31 - F350 RC 4x4 SRW
X31 - F350 SC 4x4 SRW
W31 - F350 CC 4x4 SRW
F32 - F350 RC 4x2 DRW
X32 - F350 SC 4x2 DRW
W32 - F350 CC 4x2 DRW
F33 - F350 RC 4x4 DRW
X33 - F350 SC 4x4 DRW
W33 - F350 CC 4x4 DRW
F34 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x2 SRW
X34 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x2 SRW
W34 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x2 SRW
F35 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x4 SRW
X35 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x4 SRW
W35 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x4 SRW
F36 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x2 DRW
X36 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x2 DRW
W36 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x2 DRW
F37 - F350 RC (chassis cab) 4x4 DRW
X37 - F350 SC (chassis cab) 4x4 DRW
W37 - F350 CC (chassis cab) 4x4 DRW
.... I'll skip the F450 and F550 series
E31 – E350 HD Wagon
E34 – E350 Cargo Van
S31 – E350 HD Extended Wagon
S34 – E350 Extended Cargo Van

U40 - Excursion XLT, 4x2
U41 - Excursion XLT, 4x4
U42 - Excursion Limited, 4x2
U43 - Excursion Limited, 4x4

Group 4....Engine Code - position 8

A,Z,L,3,M,R - 5.4L Modular, SOHC, EFI, V8,
S - 6.8L SOHC, EFI, v10,
F - 7.3L diesel
P – 6.0L diesel

Group 5....check digit

Group 6....Model Year Code - position 10

X = 1999
Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
3 = 2003
4 = 2004
5 = 2005
6 = 2006
7 = 2007

Group 7....Assembly Plant - position 11

E - Kentucky Truck (Jefferson County, Kentucky)
M - Cuautitlan (Cuautitlan, Mexico)

Group 8....Serial Number - position 12 - 17

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ya, thats true. It has held together a while now. We'll see ya Thanksgiving. BEAT THE HELL OUTTA t.u.! A! WHOOP!

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Um,, guess I may stir a "HORNETS" nest here,/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif I personaly will shy away from anything made in MEXICO,, I LOOKED for alot of used trucks,,,(Yes used shouldnt make much difference, but it did for me...I didnt see any from Mexico,,,but if so it would have been "Out of the running" for my purchase, it takes away our good jobs here,,and why do that? I also was under the impression that the PSDs are only made in KY,,,gassers are all that come from south of the border... I may be wrong, nothing to prove it,,just something I THOUGHT I remembered reading somwhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif
"FLAME SUIT ON!"

On edit,, our UNIONS feel the same way,, they would rather you buy a UNION MADE FORIEGN car,,Toyota or Honda,,,than an "AMERICAN" made MEXICAN one,,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
One of our Union officials drives a Chevy AVALANCHE,, (They are ALL made in TACO BELL land,,, he catches crap for it,,,,EVEN your CADILAC EXT,, (Avalanche,,with bells and wistles) are made there.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Tim, that was brilliant! I agree with everything you just said. If you are gonna get flamed, Im gonna get flamed with ya. My truck proudly wears a Kentucky Truck Plant Sticker! By the way, before I get accused, I have no problem with Mexico, or Hispanic people, I just want an American built truck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roaming around my local dealer, I've seen many gassers with Kentucky and Michigan Truck Plant decals on their windshields....

Trouble is these days FAR too much is built else where. I used to own a RAM 2500 Hemi, that was full of all sorts of gremlins and one day I found a sticker on the frame. Bar codes and all showing that this frame was for a 5.9 Diesel and not the 5.7 Hemi it came thru with. I'm guessing some of my truck was built with components for the Cummings and not the Hemi.... Regardless, it's time we bring work home and the hell with NAFTA and all....

FYI, I work in manufacturing here in NH. Not automotive but aircraft engine parts. Keep our JOBS here.....

Thanks for all the feedback regarding truck plants

1 - 20 of 24 Posts