The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, are E-series vans with the 7.3L engine susceptible to the same CPS issues that the trucks face when the wipers are turned on?

The reason I ask is because I probably should change the CPS soon before it leaves me stranded, but most of the discussion about CPS seems to revolve around the pickup truck bodies -- especially the Napa-Echlin CSS1103 CPS.

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
Can't help on whether the wipers interfere with the CPS on vans, but if I had to guess, I'd say yes, because I'd be surprised if the wiper motor is any different.

I assume you've seen the post about putting chokes on the wiper wire harness to fix the issue. I did that, but ultimately got rid of the offending CPS as it caused some other issues I wasn't happy with.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Yeah, get a motorcraft CPS and be happy. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hmmm, news to me. I'll have to search this. I do carry a spare cps, just in case but haven't swapped out in years.On edit: did do a search & found a little bit of info years ago. But I have not had any symptoms as stated. Not sure if I'm using a ford or a NAPA, memory issues eh.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Can't help on whether the wipers interfere with the CPS on vans, but if I had to guess, I'd say yes, because I'd be surprised if the wiper motor is any different.

It may not have as much to do with the wiper motor as with the electrical noise emitted from the wiper motor when the wipers are in intermittent mode. And noise generation in and of itself may not be as much of a problem as the transmission and frequency of that EMF that could very well be communicated through a common grounding location between the PCM and the wiper motor in the trucks.

If the van grounding locations for the wiper motor and the PCM are in any way different than that of the trucks, then the behavioral response might be different to that extent, despite the wiper motors being the same. The PCM has many grounds, but a study of the wiring diagrams (using the component location pages) shows that on the trucks, the PCM shares a ground with the wiper motor. This could very well be how the EMF noise of the wiper motor, when electrically stalled in intermittent mode, is transmitted to the hall effect sensor feedback that the CPS is trying to provide the PCM.

I am not sufficiently motivated to dig out the W98 computer to research E series wiring diagrams to get a handle on the firewall ground locations like I once did for the F series, but my research on the common grounding of the F series leads me to believe that any grounding differences in the E series could explain the fewer incident reports of CPS failures, to any extent that they have been infrequent less than the difference in unit manufacture of each platform.

A quick search just a minute ago did find where an E Series owner with a 7.3L had a CPS failure on the side of the road. I only found one instance though, in the time I took to look.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a CPS fail on my 2003 E-350 7.3. At about 50,000 miles. Van would just quit running at the worst possible times. Then fire right back up after key off & restart. There was NO association to the wipers running with MY van CPS issue, So it's sounds likely as NYB is saying that the Vans probably have a separate or different ground pin on the PCM vs. the F-Series trucks. Put in a new CPS from (? one of the sponsors here?) and have not had any CPS issues since. (10 years or 50,000 miles ) good so far. Hell, I don't even carry the old one as a spare! LOL. Just say'in - The Vans DO have the CPS issue, But as far as I can tell it's not wiper related. DDT

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
As suggested above, just stick with the Motorcraft CPS. I seem to recall the issue was with the Echlin CPS. The Echlin ran better than the Motorcraft so guys were switching over to it but the trade-off was the stalling issue when the wipers were on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had a couple of CPS failures early on. Installed one of these 10 years and 180k miles ago, so far, no more CPS issues
BLACK CPS F4TZ-12K073-C

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
A black CPS on eBay currently $340 ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
WOW, that CPS costs more than my E-350 is worth!!!

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
And to think that I have one of those sitting in my glove box in the truck

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,085 Posts
I've got two of the originals. But they both cut out on me.
That'd buy a lot of beer. :p
I doubt he'll get any takers at that price, though.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
IIRC, the Ford Parts counter will insist you need the grey CPS F4TZ-12K073-B (97-03); however, some 7.3 owners have reported the F4TZ-12K073-C (94-96) runs better in their newer 7.3 PSD.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Ive never noticed the wiper affect on my van.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought there was a factory recall on the CPS. On my 2002 the stealer replaced for free.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I thought there was a factory recall on the CPS. On my 2002 the stealer replaced for free.
Yes they were recalled and the dealers would replace them with the grey color. Then users experienced the rough running of the grey and often wished they had kept the black. Not every 7.3 experienced failure with the black and many continue to use them IF they can still find one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts