The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Keeping it forever, that's the plan. If the day ever comes that I decide to buy another truck, I'll still keep this one.
I've traded cars a lot since I started driving, and have never had anything as long as I've had this one, 70K miles. I'm not starting to get tired of it yet, so I don't see an end to the relationship. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
757 Posts
Same here put too much time and TLC into the ol' girl to ever get rid of her, as said before had this truck longer than any other. It's been dependable, pulls good, and I love to drive it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif It'll always be around!
Justin

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
As long as parts are availible I'll keep her going as long as possible though its starting to no longer be only a 95 Ford & not remotely year specific as it has parts from 92 to 02 on it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I plan on keeping her around for a long while. A side note for engine life, I drive part time for a airport shuttle from the Mississippi Gulf coast to New Orleans airport and I drive E350 12 passenger vans. The oldest one is a 95 and the newest one is a 99. They all have PSD engines and some of the 95s have 1 1/2 million miles on the original engines. I don't know exactly how much major maintenance or repairs they have had but the ones I have driven have not had the engines opened up as far as I know. Just routine maint. and oil changed every 5k mi. The newest ones have about 600k mi. on them. So, having said that, one can expect to keep them as long as it fulfills their dreams/needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Bud

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a 156000 on mine and 100000 of those are fairly hard miles. Recently I have pretty much parked it because it was starting to take too much money and I need to get my career going and all that fun stuff before i can continue playing with it. In the end 40 years from now it will sit in a garadge all restored and be one of my antiques /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
669 Posts
funny this topic came up. this morning while plowing around 3 am. i said to my self wow i love this truck. it has just been the most reliable thing i have ever owned. even though it only has 54k miles on it. it has never missed a snow storm. part of the reason for low mileage is i hate driving it and getting it dirty. but when she is rotted out i'm rebuilding her.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Heck I am keeping mine, Ordered it in April of 95 and I have put 306,000 miles on it to date. Now that I am through the harness problems it runs pretty well.
Chuck
KCMO

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I figure I need to drive it about 22 years to break even on her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. I like my truck and have no intentions of buying another one (like blueovel and roan69 did, traders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif). I'll just keep fighting the rust, chips, sagging stuff and wearing parts. You know, kinda like our wives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
JIM

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm at 229000 and some change and perfectly happy with it.It hasn't left me stranded anymore than you could expect with this many miles(bad battery cable and idler pulley)A big reason to keep these great trucks is that it would take $40,000 to replace it and I still get compliments on it when its washed and waxed.I LOVE MY TRUCK!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have 195k on my truck and I plan on keeping it for awhile, of corse if my wife has her way then it will be the last truck we ever buy, she love the truck more than I do. So I dont have any problem w/ modifying it.

later
jmd

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ordered mine in Oct. '96 and it's only got 88k on it. It's my daily driver and I can't imagine not having it. This has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and I still think it's the best looking body style. I've thought about the 05's but the thought of selling my '97 makes me feel sick. Looks like my 7yr old might get a chance to use this truck for school someday.

Dan T.

·
Registered
241 Posts
this has to be one of the greatest of threads... I know there are several people that are not happy with their strokes, I for one am Definately not one of those.

I bought this truck when it had 33,000 miles on it, and paid cash at the time, it now has 223,000, and outside of fuel and oil changes I have not put more than $2,000 in it for repairs(not including a clutch). I know I may be one of the lucky ones, but this truck/engine has convinced me what good maintenance will do for an engine. Dont get me wrong.... I've not babied the truck, I made a trip from Dallas to Phoenix in July, with 100- 105 degree temps at 80 and 85 miles per hour pulling a 9000 lbs TT.... this was before I knew about EGT's and all that good stuff, I simply kept it to the floor and made her Run!! This is one tough engine.

I currently am driving it 140+ miles per day and feel that the truck has never run better..... I've played with the math a bit and figure if I have to put an engine in it someday, I'll still be ahead cost wise versus buying a new truck.... having put nearly 200,000 miles on mine, I still love to drive the beast, in all actuallity I could go on and on, ........... but I wont, I'll close with this....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif*KEEP ON STROKIN* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

So those of us with the first gens are you happy with your truck to keepit for the long haul?

What are your guys' plans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope to still have it 10 years from now! I love the body style of the '94-97's and I can think of alot of things that I could do with $40,000 - $50,000 other than dump it into a Super Duty!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I like the 3/4 ton better for my general use so it may get a new tranny and keep going. It has 297K on it.

I would liek the F250 MUCH MUCH better if I could get rid of the vibration going down the road above 55 or so. I bet finding a decent set if steel wheels would help a bunch. I have been WAY to busy to investigate it more since the last set that yet again, come out of the box out of round.

Guess I will keep both because they are hard to find around here in 2wd and being the same color they make for a good set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steel wheels are the devil.

And who said my truck will ever be run into the ground???? -phillip

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've always kept up on the maintenance but I wasn't always nice to the interior. I've just recently started treating it more like an investment rather than a work truck. I want to keep it forever, and then rebuild it for a second lifetime.

And the sooner I get out of snow/rust country the better.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i will be burried in my truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
352 Posts
Mine used to be my company truck, I got to picked it out new & then drove it for 150k. I changed jobs & moved & when I heard it was for sale with 200k, I beat cheeks as fast as I could to get it. What a sweet re-union. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
That was in 2000 & they let me keep the fantastic service box too for a total of only $8000. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif
When I used to run the Dyno dept. for Diamond Eye, I always got compliments on it from the guy's who brought in brand new ones.
I work the snot out of it & take ok care of it & I'll keep it as long as I can get or make parts.
Bury me in it please.

·
Registered
669 Posts
well i spoke to soon. but i'm ok now i just changed cps in the snow. but its ok she is all better now. and yup i still love my truck. and thanx for this web site it easy to fix the truck. i even new what tools i needed before i even got under truck. thanx for all the great advice around here. well gotta get up early for plowing. good night

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is the second truck that I have ever owned. I will admit I have looked at dodges and have got a few ideas of what I could get for trade in. The next morning I wake up walk outside, look at the old girl, then I slap my self and say what the he!! was I thinking. I feel ashamed of my self and buy something for the old girl. I have had the truck for 4 years now it had 70,000 miles when I bought it know it has 214,000. I don't have the heart to get rid of her plus the ladys love big, loud, dirty trucks that leave a cloud of black smoke were ever it goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif. She will be with me until the stick shift and keys are pryed from my cold dead fingers. She may have a cummins under the hood by then but until then I am still going to drive it like I stole it. That is the only way I drive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
This is the second truck that I have ever owned. I will admit I have looked at dodges and have got a few ideas of what I could get for trade in. The next morning I wake up walk outside, look at the old girl, then I slap my self and say what the he!! was I thinking. I feel ashamed of my self and buy something for the old girl. I have had the truck for 4 years now it had 70,000 miles when I bought it know it has 214,000. I don't have the heart to get rid of her plus the ladys love big, loud, dirty trucks that leave a cloud of black smoke were ever it goes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif. She will be with me until the stick shift and keys are pryed from my cold dead fingers. She may have a cummins under the hood by then but until then I am still going to drive it like I stole it. That is the only way I drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

What ladies you talkin about? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Mine won't get into my truck unless she absolutely has to. Twice in seven years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

21 - 40 of 88 Posts