The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago my 2005 Excursion with 69,000 miles wouldn't turn over. Had it towed to the dealership. Rolls off the flatbed tow truck and starts up. Gets hooked up to the computer and shows no error codes. Bring it home and park it for three days. Go to start it, and same thing, wont start. Have it towed to the dealership. Rolls off the flatbed tow truck and starts. Gets hooked up to the computer and again shows no error codes. Bring it home and it sits for a week. Go to start it, and it wont start.

I then have it towed to Left Coast Diesel and same thing. Rolls off, starts, no error codes. Sits there for a month to get it to get a "non start" and it starts up every time.

Bring it back home after and sits for 4 days and wont start again. ***!?

Anyone here experience this?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Usually it's the starter when this happens from my experience. I prefer to diagnose something like this by actually verifying the no crank and diagnosing it at that time... given the random intermittent mature that becomes impossible sometimes as you are experiencing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
You said it won't turn over, but by that you mean it won't start? Clearly it is cranking (which is what I call "turn over").

Anyway - it sounds like a weak crank to me. What rpms are you getting during the cranking?

The fuel level is low - maybe you aren't getting fuel flow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sounds like a weak crank to me. What rpms are you getting during the cranking?

The fuel level is low - maybe you aren't getting fuel flow.
As far as fuel..... it has a 1/2 tank over 20 gallons at least, just not at the time I took video.

**** I must also mention, I can get it to start when I spray starter fluid into the air intake while someone is turning the ignition, but it starts hard. Once started it purrs like a kitten and runs perfect. Starts up every time that same day. The no start problem occurs when its been sitting for two or three days.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Well - it would seem that your issue is fuel related since it starts w/ ether.

When it doesn't start, I would verify the rate at which the secondary fuel filter fills w/ the key on (checking for bubbles while it filled).

Also would be good to install a fuel pressure gauge.

Lastly, it would be good to see ICP data (volts and pressure) when cranking.

I would still like to see the cranking rpms, but that is just me ...........

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I will pass this on to the service manager when I bring my truck in tomorrow

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Personally I would recommend trying the tests (except fuel pressure) yourself. The last thing any good Diesel Tech wants to hear is "I read this on the Internet ....".

The best way to get engine data is to download a smartphone app (I recommend ForScan Lite) and get an ELM327 OBDII adapter (I recommend BAFX brand). $40 or so total.

The WiFi version probably works for both Android and Apple phones, but I know it works for the i-phone. The Bluetooth version works on Android, but as stated I think the WiFi version works on both.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Slower cranking, combined with starting on ether says low oil pressure on the high side not making the minimum pressure to start firing the injectors. I would be looking for high pressure side oil leaks, bad IPR, bad pump, things of that sort

·
Registered
821 Posts
It could also come back to the weak crank, which could be one of the batteries being weak, a bad positive cable between the batteries or between the battery and the starter or the same on the ground side. At this age of truck those cables can look good on the outside and be completely shot on the inside. If you have poor Connections in the electrical system there may be just barely enough for it to roll over but not enough to run the electronics at the same time

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
If the batteries are charged I would also agree with it being a starter issue. As the go bad they can draw enough amps that the injectors do not fire properly.
DENNY

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: Problem found. Brought the excursion to Murray’s Truck in San Mateo CA who I was told is the “Diesel Yoda” and found out that the new batteries that were put in my truck a year ago had the wrong cold cranking amps. They were too low. So he put in the correct Motocraft battery’s fixed my 4x4 auto system that went out and now to Unlimited Vehicle Solutions to replace some other things that have worn out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts