The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 7.3L powerstroke that I'm looking to add another upgrade to but I'm not sure which one would be the best choice, I'm looking into installing an ATS ported shroud compressor housing or a power hungry performance 6 position chip. If someone could help me out with the decision or maybe throw in thoughts from anyone who has either installed on their truck or know someone who has that would be great!

2001 7.3L powerstroke, built trans, 6637 intake, bd billet compressor wheel, mbrp 4 inch turbo back exhaust, sct livewire tuner.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just put the ATS ported housing on my 01. Not really a seat of the pants difference in performance but I'm pretty sure the spool is quicker. Not sooner, just quicker.

There is a slight difference with the housing, it almost has to be with the larger inlet, but in my opinion, it's way over priced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. Do you know if there is a noticeable performance difference with the ATS housing, I've read around but I've seen mixed reviews.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the help ! I have the money for one or the other in your opinion since you have the ats installed which way would you go ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm certainly not smart enough on these trucks for someone to make a $400 decision based on my comments but I'm really happy with the housing. My truck even sounds different after installing the housing and 4" down pipe to match the rest of my 4" system. Also, the mileage seems to have improved, at least by the overhead display, I havent crunched the numbers yet but I have all the fuel receipts. As long as you have the intake and exhaust to compliment the larger housing, there has to be more flow, and of course, no more surge.

In terms of noticeable performance gains, I'm sure they're there, but it's difficult to notice with the butt dyno.

·
Registered
286 Posts
ATS housing

The ATS housing isnt a performance mod per se.
It is there to eliminate surge while towing when you add a chip etc.

In my opinion.

Thanks,
T

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, but why do you not consider it a performance upgrade? im curious because it seems to me that the choked flow would increase spool and throttle response and because it seems that all the aftermarket performance turbos i look at for the 7.3 have the choked flow on the compressor housing so it must be helping with something right?

·
Registered
823 Posts
The ATS housing isnt a performance mod per se.
I respectfully disagree. The housing increases the intake to the compressor by 77%. This decreases the intake loss leading to the eye of the impeller, allowing more air to enter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
why

because when i put it on there was no noticeable increase in performance when i installed it.

Now when you add your 6 pos chip it will eliminate surge when towing, but so will a ww2 and it will add performance.

I have both.

Terry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts