The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 6.4 has 95k miles and it has been about 5 years since the transmission fluid was serviced by the Ford Dealer. I assume most dealers perform an “exchange” which involves putting two tubes down the dipstick, drawing fluid out and replacing with filtered fluid. I will need to confirm the local dealers capabilities.

At this point (10 yr and 95k) should I use the dealer service or locate a shop that does a true flush, filter change and fluid replacement?

I am cautious about using unknown service shops or even national chain (ie AAMCO) transmission service shops.

I have no issues with the truck or transmission - shifts fine, no slip, etc. truck has led an easy life with regular service and light duty towing.

However, I will be taking the truck on a 2k mile trip to bring back a trailer full of tools and personal items that belonged to my parents. So this seems like a good opportunity to have the transmission serviced prior to departure.

Thoughts or advice?

OJ

·
Super Moderator
11,638 Posts
If you want to do it yourself there is a method that is FAR better than what almost any trans shop OR Ford dealer can do. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1516093-5r110-transmission-cold-fluid-exchange.html

The problem with almost every flush machine that connects to the cooler lines is that this transmission has a thermostat inside. When the trans is cooler than 170°F 90% of the normal cooler flow bypasses the cooler lines and never leaves the transmission. The machines that have two tubes that go down the dipstick are no better than dropping the pan. That only changes less than half of the total amount of trans fluid. A shop needs a heated flush machine. I've seen manufacturers that make them, but I've never actually seen a heated flush machine.

The method I showed above will change at least 90% of the fluid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts