The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really old user who's been absent for years (DukeJH) re-registered under a new username. 2000 F350 7.3 PSD CCLB 2WD 4R100.

My Autometer transmission temperature sender that I installed (probably in 2002 but don't recall) finally gave up. When I removed it from the test port, the hollow tube that holds the thermister broke off. Is the test port accessible from the inside if I drop the pan so I can push the tube through? Any other ideas how to remove it?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,379 Posts
The test port won’t be accessible from inside because its a pressurize port. Can you get an easy-out into the hollow portion?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so. My experience with screw extractors is the must be the right size. Sounds like a trip to the store with the new sender...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the Easy Out didn't get it done. For now I installed the old sender to plug the test port. Any other ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,379 Posts
Did you take any pictures? Is it loose in the port? One trick we used in the clinic to remove foreign bodies from ear canals and noses (2 year olds mainly) was to put a drop of superglue on the tip of a cotton swab shaft and hold it against te foreign body for 60 seconds. Then pull slowly. You’d have to spray it with brake cleaner first and let it dry so you’d have a clean surface to adhere to.

Guess you could just start the truck with the port open. Might blast the broken part right out.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a few pictures. It's a hard spot to get photos. Good idea with the superglue though. I drove the truck yesterday to take the camper to storage. Mostly low speed, 45 mph or less in the city. This morning I removed the old sender that I reinstalled to plug the hole and the part remaining in the transmission does not appear to have moved.

The old part seems to be stuck in there pretty good. In the photo, it looks like the old sensor broke and left some threads.

IMG_7868 was taken Thursday after the failed EasyOut.
IMG_7912 was taking this (Tuesday) morning.
IMG_7911 shows the part of the broken send I removed and the new/replacement sender. It looks to me like the old sender has more threads.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,379 Posts
Definitely a couple of threads in there. I would drill it down the center. Actually, you could cut the threads off the old sensor and drill a hole down the center. Then thread that in a couple of threads into the port and use that as a guide for your drill bit into the stuck part. That will keep you from screwing up the threads or being off center. Then, you can get a better bite with your easy out.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top