The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, question on which type of auto cable to use for a job.

I want to wire up an anderson connector to my battery and leave it somewhere with easy access, (like under the seat at the passenger side door).

It's for quick easy access for jump starting other vehicles when out on breakdown calls.

I don't want to have to be connecting clamps directly to the battery.

Does anyone know what sort of cable I should be using?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Common stranded Copper wire. If you're asking for the SIZE; that would depend on the amount of current you expect to supply through this connector, and the total length of wire from your truck's battery (batterIES?) to the alligator clamps.

But what's the point? You'll still have to connect jumper cables to every other vehicle's battery since they won't have quick-connectors under their seats. And it's not likely that your seat will be the closest point on your truck to a vehicle that needs a jump - it's more likely going to be the front bumper, which is where those connectors are usually installed. Shop the wrecker websites; here's one:
https://zips.com/

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
If I was going to do something like this I would go with a 1/0 welding cable with either crimped or soldered on ends.

1/0 will be oversized for most applications but being oversized is better than undersized.

I would also place a battery disconnect switch on it near where you tie it into the vehicles battery so that it won't be hot all the time.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
This is a great mod to have. I have one to rear bumper and front grill. I bought a HD set of cables and put the connector in the first foot of the cables so I have standard cables/front/rear jump capability. I can jump or be jumped from front or back. Both front and rear cable tie into passenger side battery send me a PM and I will walk you through it.
DENNY

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I’ve got battery disconnect, ANL Spartan fuse holder, 2/0 welding cable, 350A X-Haibei disconnect plug behind license plate for my jumper cables, winch, and 3K watt inverter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
I’ve got battery disconnect, ANL Spartan fuse holder, 2/0 welding cable, 350A X-Haibei disconnect plug behind license plate for my jumper cables, winch, and 3K watt inverter.
That engine compartment looks spotless. ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts