The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out whether it's time to stop pouring money into my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD and take a loan out for a newer used truck - something for around $30K, but am having trouble figuring out what the average cost of maintaining/repairing one of these older trucks is? Can anyone offer me guidance or point me to a resource who might be able to? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Depends on how many miles per year you put on it. When I was doing about 15,000 miles a year on my 99 F350 I would say 1500.00 a year after 150,000 miles. That includes stuff like Clutch, brakes, hubs, injectors, U-joints, tires, ect. I do most all my own work. The older it is the more it will take. If you always take it to a shop it might be worth getting a newer low milage truck, if you look around and have cash in hand you can find some deals.
DENNY

·
Registered
114 Posts
'older'

my 1997 laughs at this... xD

i'd hate to work on a newer diesel... only thing TRUELY bad about the OBS trucks... are the dashes...

i'd much rather spend 1/3 of the money on repairing and older truck that is PAID FOR than buying a new one... hell no

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm trying to figure out whether it's time to stop pouring money into my 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD and take a loan out for a newer used truck - something for around $30K, but am having trouble figuring out what the average cost of maintaining/repairing one of these older trucks is? Can anyone offer me guidance or point me to a resource who might be able to? Thanks!
You do realize that you are asking some ford guys if it's ok to put money into a GMC right? The real question is why are you not driving a Ford.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks! Yeah, I have to take it to a shop - that's why it's so expensive. So, Denny, that $1500 is for strictly parts, not labor?

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Ya, I keep things in good shape and try not to go cheep on parts. I have two sets of tires, rims. In just 100,00 miles you have to figure replacing both sets of tires at least once if not twice. Complete brakes, rotors, calipers. Clutch, starter, alternator, radiator flush, oil changes, filters, U-joints. Add a full set of injectors, turbo, sealed hubs, and you start spending some money. I was on call for Orthopedics so my truck had to run 24/7 no matter what the weather was. The good part is I have Klhansen close by to hold my hand as I do the work. You might get by cheaper but a auto tranny shop rebuild is around 4 grand today, injectors 3 grand for a 7.3. The older the truck is the more chance of needing the work done. If you look around you can find some good deals on low millage newer trucks, do your research and know what you are buying some are cheap for a reason, but have money in hand because they go fast!! You may get by a bit cheaper than me with parts only I do tend to work my trucks hard.
Denny

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
A debilitating crack addiction is cheaper.

Reactions: DENNY and narmalee

·
Registered
114 Posts
A debilitating crack addiction is cheaper.
pretty sure you can even step up to pure cocain for what you save if you just get rid of your diesel

although it's not even the old trucks... my boss has a 2018 GMC dirtymax that just blew the high pressure fuel pump... had a FULL tank... never noticed it till the engine light came on... boi is that going to be FUN for that tech to fix... >.<

and that just happened this sunday lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts