The Diesel Stop banner

Avg cost to making 6.0L reliable(bulletproof)

269K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Henkel 
#1 ·
I'm pretty new to the forum and diesels but have learned there are some key modifications that are recommended to prevent the issues that the 6.0 are prone to. I'm in the market for a 6.0 and thought it would be a good idea to compound a list of key mods and the average cost of them, for others looking to buy a truck or just brought a truck and want an idea of what they're looking at as far as cost.

If this has already been done just link me to it. I just did a quick google search, products aren't my suggestions just examples of what came up in search for price reference:

-Ford/Racor oil/fuel: $20-50
-ARP head bolts: $500
-Black Onyx head gaskets: $200
-Diamond Eye4" exhaust: $250
-Scangauge II: $200
-EGR delete kit: $300

I'm sure there's plenty I missed, hopefully others with more experience will contribute...

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm pretty new to the forum and diesels but have learned there are some key modifications that are recommended to prevent the issues that the 6.0 are prone to. I'm in the market for a 6.0 and thought it would be a good idea to compound a list of key mods and the average cost of them, for others looking to buy a truck or just brought a truck and want an idea of what they're looking at as far as cost.

If this has already been done just link me to it. I just did a quick google search, products aren't my suggestions just examples of what came up in search for price reference:

-Ford/Racor oil/fuel: $20-50
-ARP head bolts: $500
-Black Onyx head gaskets: $200
-Diamond Eye4" exhaust: $250
-Scangauge II: $200
-EGR delete kit: $300

I'm sure there's plenty I missed, hopefully others with more experience will contribute...
Joe, you have a good start but the list goes on:
  • Stock Ford gaskets my understanding better than the Black Onyx
  • Coolant filter-http://www.dieselsite.com/2003-200760lcoolantfiltrationsystem-- preservethelifeofyourwaterpump.aspx
  • ELC coolant-$80.00
  • Distilled water 40-50 gallons $30.00
  • Restore-Restore+--$60.00
  • Oil by-pass system--$300.00
  • Fuel pressure gauges and reg kit--$300.00
  • Oil cooler (maybe) $300.00
  • FICM Repair (maybe) $300.00 New $1100.00
  • 2 New Batteries $250.00
  • To do the repairs $3000-$4000.00
  • I'm running out of $$$$$$:lol:
  • 2 stroker:ford:

#3 ·
I figured I missed a boat load of items. Thanks for stepping in. Looks like I will need to tell the wife the truck will cost about $5k more than I plan to buy it for so I can get everything up to par.

Can we prioritize them in a couple of categories like what has the highest priority? I don't know enough to do it or to tell what can be done by a novice diesel owner and what should go to the shop...

#5 · (Edited)
Joe,

Depending on ones own "budget, priorities may change.

Exhaust is a fairly cheap but necessary upgrade to any diesel (including my Jetta TDI:lol:). You'll notice lower EGT's but not much difference when you drop the hammer.

EGR delete, again fairly cheap. But if your not mechanically inclined to get into the motor a bit, I don't recommend doing so without some research first. I perosnally have not done this mod to my truck, stock cooler has gotten me to 105,000 miles successfully. Why fix whats NOT broken?

Blue spring mod, a noticeable difference, can be done in about an hour or so even for a newbie. This is a cheap and very necessary mod.

Coolant filter, again fairly cheap, easy install. Just ordered mine, most expensive part is the distilled water and new coolant for the flush and refill.

There is more, but I think this is enough to start with. Good luck.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't forget....
ARP head STUDS (Pretty sure that's what you meant)
Fuel regulator "update" (blue spring mod) $61.00 shipped
Programmer

P.S Aside from the head studs, most of the things can be done in your own driveway with basic tools. Before you go spending the money on labor... check for threads on these mods. A lot of us have done them ourselves, tons of great information, pictures, and advice.

#6 ·
I would say, Coolant is the #1 mod needed, then fuel pressure blue spring, gauges (scan gauge) is fine. Then exhaust, coolant filter and probably a FICM repair (you may need this immediately, you will have to check the voltage. There are a lot of fixes needed to give you peace of mind, but they are great trucks.

#7 ·
Could you gents elaborate on what you mean by exhaust and why is it a recommended upgrade? Thanks, I'm still in learning mode.

#9 ·
Bully Joe, awesome, thanks for links!

#10 ·
At 120000 miles I blew the head gaskets. They milled the heads, new radiator, new Bulletproof cooler, ARP studs and a new serpentine belt. $5700. Last week at 150000 miles they had to replace HPOP and oil cooler and the FICM with the good fix. $3600. One thing I learned was the coolant is critical and you need to get the PH tested on a regular basis which my mechanic never did.

#11 ·
What is PH??? ive gotten quotes for 4k on a bulletproof from a 6.0L only shop... where r yall taking your trucks, holy crap, $5,700???

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
#14 ·
Joe,
I'm a little late to the party with my 2 cents, but I'm "bulletproofing" my 6.0L now. At 122K miles I blew my EGR cooler, which was evident by the white billowing smoke from my exhaust and confirmed by the coolant in my Y pipe and intake manifold. These are the repairs I have done and those I am in the middle of doing in chronological order. (It may not be the best order, but it worked for me):

Superchips Flashpaq, used and unlocked for $200 (but I'll be upgrading to a SCT X3)
4" Dynamax exhaust, about $550-600 from NAPA
Blue Spring upgrade, $60 from Tousley Ford (easy 45m upgrade)
EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler Kit, $2200 from Bulletproof Diesel
ARP Stud Kit with all the injector ORings, $1089 from Bulletproof Diesel
Professional Kit (HPOP upgrade, turbo drain upgrade, oil pump switch, misc orings, gaskets, filters, etc) $220, from Bulletproof Diesel - spent so much at BPD they gave me a free jacket.
Waterpump with CNC aluminum impeller, $250 from Bulletproof Diesel (this one you don't have to do, I just didn't want it going out after a coolant flush and end up wasting all the money on new coolant)

Once its back together I'll do a coolant flush for about $100 (water, Restore, coolant, Fumoto valves, etc) and install a coolant filter for about $170. I have the typical rough start in cold weather, but I think a FICM reflash will take care of this.

I am fortunate enough to have a place to work on my truck with a lift, so I pulled the cab to do it all and did the labor myself. I will have about $5000 into "bulletproofing" my truck when I'm done...until I blow something else up on it.

Bare in mind, I'm pretty new at this and am, by no means, a mechanic. There are certain to be some differing opinions on this forum, but if you budget for about $5000 in parts and a few more $$ in labor you will have a pretty nice truck.

Keep reading this forum. There is a lot of great information on here, but if you're doing the work yourself you may also want to purchase a service manual ($180 on Amazon). You can find most of the manual here and there on this forum, but its convenient to have one on your workbench.

I was told not to buy a 6.0L when I bought mine, but despite the drawbacks its one fine truck. Good luck.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Joe,
I'm a little late to the party with my 2 cents, but I'm "bulletproofing" my 6.0L now. At 122K miles I blew my EGR cooler, which was evident by the white billowing smoke from my exhaust and confirmed by the coolant in my Y pipe and intake manifold. These are the repairs I have done and those I am in the middle of doing in chronological order. (It may not be the best order, but it worked for me):

Superchips Flashpaq, used and unlocked for $200 (but I'll be upgrading to a SCT X3)
4" Dynamax exhaust, about $550-600 from NAPA
Blue Spring upgrade, $60 from Tousley Ford (easy 45m upgrade)
EGR Cooler and Oil Cooler Kit, $2200 from Bulletproof Diesel
ARP Stud Kit with all the injector ORings, $1089 from Bulletproof Diesel
Professional Kit (HPOP upgrade, turbo drain upgrade, oil pump switch, misc orings, gaskets, filters, etc) $220, from Bulletproof Diesel - spent so much at BPD they gave me a free jacket.
Waterpump with CNC aluminum impeller, $250 from Bulletproof Diesel (this one you don't have to do, I just didn't want it going out after a coolant flush and end up wasting all the money on new coolant)

Once its back together I'll do a coolant flush for about $100 (water, Restore, coolant, Fumoto valves, etc) and install a coolant filter for about $170. I have the typical rough start in cold weather, but I think a FICM reflash will take care of this.

I am fortunate enough to have a place to work on my truck with a lift, so I pulled the cab to do it all and did the labor myself. I will have about $5000 into "bulletproofing" my truck when I'm done...until I blow something else up on it.

Bare in mind, I'm pretty new at this and am, by no means, a mechanic. There are certain to be some differing opinions on this forum, but if you budget for about $5000 in parts and a few more $$ in labor you will have a pretty nice truck.

Keep reading this forum. There is a lot of great information on here, but if you're doing the work yourself you may also want to purchase a service manual ($180 on Amazon). You can find most of the manual here and there on this forum, but its convenient to have one on your workbench.

I was told not to buy a 6.0L when I bought mine, but despite the drawbacks its one fine truck. Good luck.
I can tell you what I have done to mine. I have a 2006 F-250 Lariat Fx4. Bought it with 123500. The dealer I purchased it from installed new Bulletproof diesel ear cooler and ford oil cooler. I then installed coolant filter (diesel site) New radiator with Final charge coolant, Installed full gauge set, Auto Meter- Fuel, get, boost trans, got a scan gauge II set for Ficm voltage, Hpop, Oil temp, water temp, I have installed 2 additional trans coolers and bypassed the one in the radiator (can't break 155 degrees to save a life) Harpooned the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pick up, installed the blue spring, ZooDad upgrade, 6.4 banjo bolts, Mobil 1 5/w40 oil exclusively every 5k, installed Amsoil oil bypass with small remote cooler, installed inline trans filter behind grill next to coolers, 1.5" leveling kit up front, 2" in rear, Leer Xr100 top, LED headlights and Fogs, Flush mount LED reverse lights, American racing Wolverine 20x10 wheels stock size tires, stock exhaust, Cat delete kit, Factory shocks, skyjacker dual stabilizers, factory single still installed, Cold air intake, Built a power flush gun and revers flush the oil cooler every 6 months or as needed. Temps are 3-5 degrees delta at 70 MPH. Houston performance diesel did the dummy plugs and risers in 2014. truck runs better than ever.

I will say that one thing that keep this think happy is regular oil changes, Motorcraft filters exclusively (No Exceptions) and a regular 12 ounces of a reputable fuel injector cleaner/additive. Also hot shots secret stiction eliminator and (fuel treatment twice yearly). Keep the injectors/fuel/coolant/oil clean and fresh and the truck will take good care of you) I love mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.