The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 90 f350 with 7.3idi non turbo 2wd. i recently changed my brakes and noticed that my axle bearings are leaking. what all should i replace? i know if they are worn enough to leak there is other things that are to.

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
If the axle seals are leaking bad enough to get oil on the linings you'll have to replace the brake shoes too. The oil penetrates the linings and won't clean off. When the brakes get hot, more oil comes to the surface.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Bearings don't leak, it is the seal that bad. Just inspect the bearings they should be good unless you ran out of lube in the axle. LMJD is spot on if the brake linings are wet replace them. While you have it up good time to replace the fluid in the diff.
DENNY

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
99% of the time axle bearings in a full floating axle like you have last forever, so inspect them but they're probably OK. They came out with an improved axle seal years ago and any decent parts house should stock it. Brand is a CR Scotseal. Don't know if the 350's and 250's have the exact same rear end, but the axle seal part number for my '91 F-250 is CR Scotseal 34384.
Forgot to mention, even though your wheel bearings are lubed with differential oil, all shop manuals for all trucks say after cleaning and inspecting them, pack them with wheel bearing grease before reinstalling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you. if i do need to replace them do i go off the metal tag on the pumpkin for the right size bearings? also how do i know what size wheel bearings to get for the front?

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
Tapered roller bearings most always have a part number stamped on the edge of the race. However years ago I heard of some way off-brand oddball Chinese bearings that were not marked, if you run into that, take your old ones in to the parts house. Make and model of truck usually works too.

·
Registered
11,839 Posts
Ya got me. I am under the impression trucks of this era had a small stainless silver tag bolted to a differential cover bolt that said the ratio. Like mine says LS3:55 (limited slip, 3:55 ratio) if I remember right.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check the rear differential vent, if it's plugged installing new seals will not help. mine was plugged with mud from dirt dabbers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts