The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are three videos that discuss back-flushing filters

Back-flushing cartridge filters

Comparing cartridge filters verses bag filters for making Vegetable Oil Blend Diesel Fuel

Back-flushing bag filters

· Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Thanks for the videos Jeff. I'm wondering how I'm going to push 40 gallons through an upflow system on a 20" bag filter. Will I have to stop and flush mid way through? I have everything ready except the insert. Do you cap only one end? How do you know how long your insert should be? I have everything ready except that.

· Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not happen to use the upflow system, because blending, then settling for a few days seems to do the same, if not better job. Once I have drained the sludge from my settling tank, then I push it through two y-traps. one has a 40-mesh screen in it, and the next has an 80-mesh screen, then right to the one 1-micron filter.

The inner basket needs to have only one cap on it at the bottom. I used a 3" PVC drain cap on a perforated 3" PVC pipe. The inner basket does not have to fit snugly, but should be a little loose. I think mine was about 19" long. I am looking into a more perforated tube, like a mesh tube.

· Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I will get right on it.

· Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another idea I had for an inner basket was a 19" long spring, but that idea would require a 19" long tube to keep the spring from compressing over its length. One should also keep in mind that the inner basket should not have any sharp edges on it, or when the back collapses during filtration, the sharp edge might pierce the fabric of the bag.

· Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I had considered the sharp edge problem and intended to sand the core once I am through drilling - drilling - drilling holes.

· Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know you are drilling your holes. I drilled 1/8" diameter holes on 1/4" centers. It turned out to be about 3,000 holes drilled. It took me about a week.

· Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I used 3/16" and did it in two days and my arm feels like it could fall off.

· Banned
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used 3/16" and did it in two days and my arm feels like it could fall off.
Now, that I recall I think I drilled them at with a 3/16" wood bit, and it might have been 1/2" centers. I am impressed that you drilled all of those holes in 2 days. I bet your arm feels like it is going to fall off. A drill press would most probably have made it easier for both of us. I did not have access to one. I hope to come up with something that is a lot easier than drilling 3,000 holes by hand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.