The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone added back up lights to their rear bumper? If so, where did you get them. I did this years ago to my 1995 and it worked great. At that time I bought my kit from Cabela's...but they no longer sell them.

Thanks, Griz

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I bought a cheap set of "driving lights" from Walmart and added them to my rear bumper/hitch area. Instead of triggering them with the backup lights, I ran them off of a switch I installed in the dash. You can grab power from the trailer charging wire.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I am with 96 on this...
I added some lights up on the rack that is on top of the van and then added another set in the rear tail light housings.
There are some photos of what I have done to the van posted in my photos.
Having 4x55watt lights in the back works great when there is a long very dark drive that I need to back down ..

·
Super Moderator
25,439 Posts
Mine are cheapo fog lights that I built a bracket for to mount them alongside the trailer hitch.

I wired them to a double throw switch so they would either work with the backup lights or independently.

Pics and a wiring diagram of my install here: TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Auxiliary Backup Lights

[Howard, your photo link was messed up, so I fixed it for you]

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine are cheapo fog lights that I built a bracket for to mount them alongside the trailer hitch.

I wired them to a double throw switch so they would either work with the backup lights or independently.

Pics and a wiring diagram of my install here: TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Auxiliary Backup Lights

[Howard, your photo link was messed up, so I fixed it for you]
Thanks everyone for your input and ideas. I think I can figure out now how to wire up some lights with your wiring diagram klhansen.

Griz

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
I just put a small set of LEDs on the ends of the rear bumper. measurement
3.5''x3/4'' they don't take up to much space:yesnod:

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I got mine from e-trailer...great prices.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,913 Posts
I picked up a LED three or four inch round model from NAPA.I mounted it on under side of hitch.It puts a ton of light out but does not pull a lot of amps so I was able to just solder it to the revers lights wire.I plow at night and they are worth their weight in gold

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a LED three or four inch round model from NAPA.I mounted it on under side of hitch.It puts a ton of light out but does not pull a lot of amps so I was able to just solder it to the revers lights wire.I plow at night and they are worth their weight in gold
My old setup did have a relay in it because the lights were probably halogen...I don't remember for sure. But I know I need something besides the stock back up lights because they don't do much for me.

Griz

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I mounted a set of rubber case tractor lamps to a set of bed stake pocket rubber insert eyes. These fit perfectly in the ends of the trailer hitch, you tighten the center bolt and presto, no holes drilled and the added bonus, it you back into a snow bank or something, the rubber mount is fairly forgiving.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Something else to think about, depending on how much extra light you want, you can buy upgraded LED replacement lamps to replace the stock back-up lamps. I'll try to find a pic I took halfway through my install...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Here is a shot of upgraded back up lamps....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
From that angle it looks good, but what about where it counts , on the ground behind the truck at 30 Feet.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
It's not as good as extra lights, but it's much better than the stock incandescent bulbs. If you look close in the picture, you can see gravel on the ground below the LED. On the other side you see... blackness.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Here's a crappy cell phone pic.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Looks like that set might work...
It is good to know that there are other ways of dealing with the poor lighting that the Factory turns out....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You could always go with a back up camera? Sounds like some of these light options might rival the cost of one. Otherwise you could do one of those super wide single row led modules that guys put on the front of their trucks. Maybe integrate it into your tailgate? I know I'm being maybe a little facetious here, but maybe someone laughed, or they were inspired. I've always had problems with back up lights, but once I picked up a b/u camera with infra-red on it, I didn't see as much of a need for the lights.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something else to think about, depending on how much extra light you want, you can buy upgraded LED replacement lamps to replace the stock back-up lamps. I'll try to find a pic I took halfway through my install...
96Cobra...Do you remember where you got the LED replacement lights and the P/N? They would be worth a try.

Thanks,

Griz

·
Premium Member
3,753 Posts
LED's under either side of the bumper , don't take up much room and are bright.:yesnod:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LED's under either side of the bumper , don't take up much room and are bright.:yesnod:
Googs...did you tap into the reverse wire or are you fusing a relay/switch as part of your backup lights install?

Griz

1 - 20 of 33 Posts