The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Googs...did you tap into the reverse wire or are you fusing a relay/switch as part of your backup lights install?

Griz
Griz, no i didn't set them up on a separate fuse :yesnod: for the little power that LED's use it's fine to run them on the reverse light circuit .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Griz, no i didn't set them up on a separate fuse :yesnod: for the little power that LED's use it's fine to run them on the reverse light circuit .:thumbsup:
So you are just running off the truck's reverse wiring...right? Where did you find the LED lights you used?

Griz

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
So you are just running off the truck's reverse wiring...right? Where did you find the LED lights you used?

Griz
I'm sure I found them on fleabay, There fully sealed and water proof , i will try and dig up the invoice and let you know the price.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
96Cobra...Do you remember where you got the LED replacement lights and the P/N? They would be worth a try.

Thanks,

Griz
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I found out about them from a post here on TDS. They are from Retro-Solutions Store and are the 3156 9W Cree units. They are (were) $40 for the pair.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I installed a cheap set of flood lights on my headache rack. They worked better up there when I was plowing snow plus they lit the bed nicely for loading/unloading stuff at night.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I found out about them from a post here on TDS. They are from Retro-Solutions Store and are the 3156 9W Cree units. They are (were) $40 for the pair.
Thanks 96Cobra....I'll look into it. It might be a great way to go. At least I could try that first to see if that'll be enough before going with auxiliary back up lights.

Griz

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
These might just do the trick. I received and installed them today and Wow...they are certainly brighter than the stock back up lights. I'll use them for a while and see if they provide as much light as I want/need.

Thanks again 96 Cobra.

Griz

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been wanting to do this same thing, but I wanted them to power on when I'm in reverse and also be able to switch them on manually from in the cab. The lights I've been wanting are Tuff LED Lights 2 X 4" Inch Square 27watt LED Work Lamp Light 1550 Lumen. You can get them on Amazon for $40 a pair. I want to do a clean install on it and haven't found a convincing wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
A single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch should work for what you want. In one position, the lights come on when you put the truck in reverse. Flip the switch to the other position & they are turned on as long as the switch is in that position. Some SPDT switches have a "center off" position as well. I don't have the schematic for the lights, so you would have to check to see if the circuit is a switched power or ground.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thank you Cobra, that being said does anyone have the schematics for lights in this configuration, or best yet, photos of their installation??? The reason being for that is to visually note the actual location of their splices/tie-ins.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Like the looks of the LED bulb, wondered how bright they'd be. Need more than the lame factory lights.
On my flatbeds I've run cheap rubber housing lights up on the headache rack, best spot to mount lights for all around use as they throw it further and also are high enough for loading trailers. On my Superduty I kept the bed and mounted some small halogens on the top of the bed rail behind my lumber rack, light worked well but not well protected. Trying to decide a placement on my EX. Want it above the bumper (I always knock below bumper ones off on snowbanks) as it works better for lighting my flatdeck trailer, but not on the roof.
My taillights are after market and there are 3 spots for bulbs in it; bottom is clear reverse light, middle is red brake/tail, and top is a blank but has the same shape hole as the reverse light. I may get another reverse pig tail and mount an LED bulb in there on a switch. Would look factory and place the light higher (8").
I'm still toying with a way to mount the factory fog lights (got a few sets laying around) back there as I think their beam would make a good backup light. May build a rear bumper, mount them in it and hook that to the reverse, leaving the stock position in the taillight with an LED on a switch...
All the small, cheap fog lights I've tried back there over the years have been just that, cheap. LED's I think are better but I'd really like to be above the bumper.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts