The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently pulling my 5th wheel home when going up an incline it started to miss really bad. It would puff out black smoke when it did. Didn't notice anything when on level ground or on a decline, only when the truck felt the load of the 12K camper. I pulled the codes and it came back to be ECM malfunction and a backpressure sensor fault. I took my truck to the local dealer and he couldn't find any codes or issues with the ECM or backpressure sensor. He said that my boost was low after he drove it and told me it could be the vanes sticking in the turbo. He said that sticking turbo vanes could cause all kinds of problems with sensors. Has anyone else had this problem? Any info would be greatly appreciated as the mechanic wants to go through and service the turbo for around $600 ouch..
My truck is a 2005 F-350 with the 6.0 diesel and has 130K miles on it. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but but I was just going to post about the same question. I just got a PO470 and PO 472 which both seem to be exhaust backpressure malfunction. If I clear it, it won't come back on for quite a while. I also just replaced the y-pipe, and removed and cleaned the turbo. Where is the exhaust backpressure sensor? Trucks runs great. I don't seem to remember any sensor on the exhaust while I was working on the turbo or exhaust. ??

·
Registered
266 Posts
The 03 and 04's are on a bracket next to the thermostat. The 05 to 07's are next to the valve cover on the driver side. Make sure you blow air through the tube. They do get clogged. It's a 3 wire sensor under the degas bottle.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Turbo & EGR have both caused conditions similar to what you describe on the hills in the past for me but, IIRC, I didn't through ECM or BP faults. It used to cause low boast issues throwing the wrench light until the truck was restarted. I got to the point where I would but the truck in neutral at 60 mph, shut it off, restart it and keep on going.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts