The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whitenight Fixed Mount Unit Backup Light Kit ‹ Back to Product List
Price: $89.95 Qty:

This unit is designed to be used with the typical 2" receiver type trailer hitches under the bumper. This unit bolts to the hitch receiver tube with a u-bolt and is open thru the center of the light unit to allow the use of a 2" hitch insert for towing. The White Night emblem in the center of the unit may be removed to allow the hitch insert to be inserted into the hitch receiver tube. When not using a hitch insert the emblem can be snapped into place to cover the opening. This unit requires 3/4" of clearance between the top of the hitch receiver tube and the bottom of the bumper for installation . There are some hitch inserts that are too short and will not reach the hitch pin hole once the White Night unit is installed. The photo above shows a typical 2" insert and the length required for installation. Some of the " factory installed" hitches will require the use of an installation kit to relocate the trailer wiring plug. These kits move the wiring plug to the side of the light unit. This unit allows you to take advantage of the exceptional lighting when towing. NOTE: All light units have a 3 position toggle switch on the back which allows for 3 modes of operation. In on position the light unit is automatically activated when the vehicle is placed into reverse. Center position is off. The 3rd position allows manual operation.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Some like em,
some do their own,
some don't like them...

Seem a little pricy for me... but I did buy a $50K MSRP truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
so what do I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input

in the picture it looks like it interferes with the factory hookup for the safty chains /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I understand that I need to relocate the factory trailer wire plug input. Did you have a problem with it blocking the safty chain hookup? TIA

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine work just fine. They have great customer support too at GOS Racing.

I can chain my boat trailer no problem.

I like the lights and the easy wiring. Could have run my own but would have spent a long time wiring them.

Phil

·
Registered
427 Posts
Has anyone made their own setup by bolting on lights under the bumper? If so where did you bolt them up or how'd you make the bracket to do it.
I was thinking of mounting a couple of small PIAAs under the bumper for "backup purposes only" (or for small cars that like to ride my tail) but im not telling anyone to do it!
Pictures of the setup would be appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I went to Academy sports and outdoor, and found a set for 25.00 or so that strap right on to the receiver hitch metal side rails where they connect to the frame. They were simple, and they work awesome. They are small and don't look obtrusive. took about 15 minutes to put on, and well worth it.

Tim

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I got a set of 55W fog lights and mounted them in the holes on the lower side of my X bumper with large flat washers...
pointed them out at a bit of an angle to illuminate the side...

made connection into the trailer connection plug and they work super...

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
I second that mounting idea. I currently have 2 trucks with lights mounted that way. Just make sure you buy fog pattern NOT driving or the spread of the light is too narrow.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Got set of white knight, required too many mods, relocating trailer connector. cutting off tabs on bumper ect. Got a set of piaa lights, more costly but looks like better lights. They have saddle brackets and adhesive pads which i attached on rear side of trailer hitch, and further secured with nylon ties. Has switch to turn off, on when in reverse only, or on when you demand. They operate from a relay slaved to backup light wire, drawing current from heavy wire I ran to battery ie a circuit fused off a painless wiring fuse box. They work great and give a lot of light.Model used is piaa 1500.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was also thinking about getting the whitenight lights until I installed my guages. Apparently the wire I spliced into was something to do with the reverse lights so they come when in park. Works great when I'm hooking up my trailer.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I installed the whitenight system a month ago and love it. I feel much safer backing up now that I can see! A great product!

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You can find the White Night back-up lights here for a pretty good price.

The installation is very easy to do. The wiring requires you to tap into the charge wire and back-up light wire at the 7 pin connector, plus a ground. The relocation of the 7 pin connector is as simple as rotating the bracket toward the rear of the truck.

Hope this helps! JS.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
this is what I did

reverse light pic

the rest of the pics on the install can be seen at my page link below

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks AWESOME!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I can't do that cause of my reverse sensors and two bumper stickers that will not be removed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
352 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You can find the White Night back-up lights here for a pretty good price.

The installation is very easy to do. The wiring requires you to tap into the charge wire and back-up light wire at the 7 pin connector, plus a ground. The relocation of the 7 pin connector is as simple as rotating the bracket toward the rear of the truck.

Hope this helps! JS.

[/ QUOTE ]
GOS
I'm thinking about getting the white night but I'm afraid it'll interfere with the factory chain holes. And. I usually don't have anyone to guide me to my trailer tongue so I just back up until the ball hits the trailer. Is there a chance this could get broken if I'm not lined up perfect?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Seabee1,

The safety chain holes are still usable, however, the White Nights do block your view of the holes. Once you figure out where you need to look to find them, it is not that much of an issue.

If you always hit the ball, no problem. If you get the trailer tongue off to one side, you might damage the lights. We stock a complete inventory of replacement parts for just this reason. JS.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I went to ebay and bought a set of "aerodynamic" driving lights and mounted them in the holes located at each end of the rear bumper. I wired directly into the backup light wire. If I need them as work lights, I put the truck in reverse, shut off the engine, set the brake and do what I need to do. These really work great, but if I did it again I would look for a flood type light.

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts