The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 7.3 has a hard time starting after sitting for more than a day. When I first turn the key on, I noticed the voltage meternal drops to about 10v but then slowly rises. When I crank it over, it drops to the red line, about 8v and cranks extremely slowly. When it finally turns over, it chugs hard for about 5 seconds. Volt meter then returns to about 12-14. I disconnected both batteries completely from one another ad tested voltage. One tested at 11.96 and the other was 12.83. Both negative terminals had a significant amount of corrosion build up for whatever reason. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Put them on a battery charger and get both to a full charge. Then go down to a parts store and have them load tested independent from each other and see if they are up to snuff.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Age has a lot to do with batteries, I have found that if they are much over 5 years old, that they probably need to be replaced. I have had some batteries in my vehicles last close to ten years, but they were smaller cars/trucks that did not need the massive amount of power needed to turn over our large trucks. Clean those terminals, load test, and replace with good brand name batteries if needed.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
The factory batteries in my 96 lasted 10+ years and were still going strong when I decided to just replace them.

The second set of Motorcraft batteries lasted 6 years.

I am now on my third set and they are Autozone Duralast.

We'll see how long they go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts