The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced all the injectors and glow plugs. The nights are getting into the 15-17 degree range. I have the heater plugged in for at least 4 hours and let the plugs warm up for over a minute but sometimes it will not start. Above 45 degrees it does fine. I have read that perhaps my starter needs replacing I bought the truck at 143,500 and it now has 242,00 on it. I have searched the forum and most answers came back labeled "Not for Powerstroke". Would someone point me to a good new starter?

Thanks for any help,
Dan Baxter
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Have you checked your Glow Plug Relay? To check the glowplug relay (GPR), measure the voltage drop across the GPR's large terminals. While the GPR is active (up to 1.5 to 2 minutes after the key is turned to Wait-to-Start) put your meter leads on the large terminals (one lead on one large terminal and the other lead on the other large terminal). This measures how much voltage is being "lost" across the relay. A reading of 0.3V or more indicates a bad relay. Also, check the relay’s control wires (smaller wires) disconnected from the relay for battery voltage at the Red/Light Green striped wire and ground at the Purple/Orange striped wire (check both when the key is turned to Wait-to-Start). Cheers!

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
For a starter go with a Denso, they are costly but they are good. Or go with a OEM off of Rock Auto.

But I agree with Patrick, test your glow plug system. It could be something as easy as the glow plug relay which is the weak link in the system. You also mentioned that you did the glow plugs, which ones did you use for replacement? Motorcraft ZD11's are the ones that you want in there.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Just to add... a slow cranking engine will be harder to start at cold ambient temps. Also consider your batteries, cables and ground connections are clean and tight, especially the one at the right front of the engine block.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am going to hijack this for a second for the sake of GPR correct function clarification. The nights are getting colder and I have noticed both of my trucks are not starting as they should. One with 298k has new motorcraft glow plugs Nov 2018 (several of the autocrafts in there were toasted). One with 223K was supposed to have had new ones (unknown brand) around 100K, I bought it with 148K 13 years ago. I just check the relays across the big terminals. 298k. was .5xx volt for a minute or so then clicked and went to normal voltage tried several times and on the last one the relay was starting to smoke a bit. 223K was 1.2 volt for a minute or so then to normal voltage as well. I did not check anything across the small wires because according to Patrick's post that tells me both trucks GPR's are out of spec. Sound correct? If so guess my Christmas gift to myself is ( sing in tone of 12 days of Christmas) 2 glow plug relays. Also all batteries and starters and cables are good.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies for not answering your replies sooner but have been busy with work and the cold weather made testing hard.
Checked glow plug relay and had a reading of .03 volts across the terminals so that part seems okay.
The replacement glow plugs were Motorcraft ZD11's as were the original ones. The pulled glow plugs read .5-.6 ohms.
Still looking at starters. Is the starter on our trucks a gear reduction unit. I have found "Denso" units priced from $450 down to $150 does this sound right?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still looking at starters. Is the starter on our trucks a gear reduction unit. I have found "Denso" units priced from $450 down to $150 does this sound right?
Ayuh,..... I completely agree with ford doctor, a slow turn diesel, starts hard,......

'bout 10 years ago, I went to my local Napa, 'n bought their lifetime, top shelf starter, by part number, for my motor, 'n put in on,..... Brrrrrrum, runnin' again,.....
I put the receipt in an envelop over the visor,....
Every 2 years, I take it off, 'n bring it in,..... it's dirty, it's broke, please gimme a New one,.....
Thank you,.....

No more slow starters for me,....... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
So those NAPA wear out that fast? Good to know.

·
Premium Member
8,608 Posts
My apologies for not answering your replies sooner but have been busy with work and the cold weather made testing hard.
Checked glow plug relay and had a reading of .03 volts across the terminals so that part seems okay.
The replacement glow plugs were Motorcraft ZD11's as were the original ones. The pulled glow plugs read .5-.6 ohms.
There are Denso knock offs from China that only carry their name.

If you want a real Denso for a good price check these guys out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Like the Ford Dr. said. Check the batteries and cables. Make sure they are clean and tight. Have someone do a load test. Just because a battery 13.2 volts means nothing. Start that thing and watch how fast they drop. Also how old are the batteries? If one is weak than change them both. Batteries are the number one reason a diesel won't start. My wife drove my car to the store one day and when she came out the battery just killed itself. Smelled like rotten eggs. The battery was less than 5 years old.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When load testing with a hand held tester be sure disconnect both batteries and check individually. And for sure if one is bad then the other is probably on its way out too, depending on how long the bad one has been drawing the good one down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I replaced the glow plug relay with one from White Rodgers in 2018 and haven't had a cold start since.
WHITE RODGERS 586-902 CONTACTOR, SPST-NO, 12VDC, 200A, BRACKET
$86 off Amazon and worth every penny to me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the glow plug relay with one from White Rodgers in 2018 and haven't had a cold start since.
WHITE RODGERS 586-902 CONTACTOR, SPST-NO, 12VDC, 200A, BRACKET
$86 off Amazon and worth every penny to me.
I installed the same contactor in January of '18.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts