The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
truck started missing bad, took it to ford dealer tech pulled code PO280 circuit high. # 7 injector dead. tech replaced complete FICM with his spare FICM. truck runs fine.
i do not know if the problem is on the Logic side or the power supply side.

Sinister sells the FICM with both sides included. $699. 48v

bulletproof sells theirs with just the power supply side. $699. 48v, 53v or 58v. im only interested in the 48v or maybe the 53v, i have had cold weather problems sense new. maybe the 53v would cure it?

ford wants $1020 total for complete FICM installed out the door.

what would you do? recommendations? reasons? any info would help.
thank you for any info.

jim

·
Registered
464 Posts
Another option is FICMrepair.com

If you can be without your truck for a couple days it's $425 for their ultra service which has lifetime warranty. They repair and upgrade both power and logic sides. Haven't personally used them but am planning to for prevention of future problems. Have heard nothing but good about them, and have spoken with Ed on the phone. They also have an exchange program where they ship you a rebuilt FICM (with upgraded parts) so you have no downtime.

And if you're interested in the Bulletproof for only 48V they sell a power side for $499

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I hear great things about the Atlas 40 tune that Ed at ficmrepair.com puts on FICM's too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I bulletproofed my Excursion I sent my FICM to FICM.com for a diagnostic. They called me immediately and told me it failed miserably. I had them rebuild it and install the Atlas 40 and boy Im happy I did. First, no turbo lag and it has much more power. Being that Im not into racing, My Ex runs so good that I wont need a tuner. It really, really runs great and I believe it is do to the well rebuilt FICM. Go with FICM.com, you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The increased voltage is pure hokum. There is no benefit from increasing the output voltage of the FICM, and in fact there is detriment because this requires adding capacitors to the FICM which increase the heat load the FICM must now handle. Heat related failures are second only to low supply side voltage as a reason why FICMS fail. The factory FICM at 48v often fails from heat.

I would use Ed as your only source for an FICM. He's super knowledgeable, stands behind his work, and puts out the best FICM out there, period.

The Atlas 40 is also a very worthwhile upgrade. Throttle response will improve noticeably and lag will decrease.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I had less then positive from FICMRepair and it cost me time and money before it got straightened out, still to not what I wanted. DieselTechRon also sells repaired FICMs on eBay for less.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Owning my own business as well I know that even a very good businessman devoted to customer service has had a couple of people over the years that weren't happy. The reasons vary, but I think its extremely difficult, if not impossible to run a business for any length of time without this happening at least a few times. I try to learn from each of those experiences in the interest of improving my business. What I try to really focus on though is the percentage of dissatisfied customers to satisfied customers. I recently had a situation where I was forced to examine this again, and when I really though about it my rate of dissatisfied customers was below 1%. I'm nearing the decade mark with my company, and while I'll always strive to do better, I don't think that's bad.

Speaking to the matter at hand, this is the only bad experience I've yet to hear of regarding FICMRepair.com I'm sure there are a few out there, but the overwhelming majority of what I've read has been from satisfied customers like me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had less then positive from FICMRepair and it cost me time and money before it got straightened out, still to not what I wanted. DieselTechRon also sells repaired FICMs on eBay for less.
Dieseltechron does good work on ficm.

Circuit board medics does good work to 5 year warranty on both side of the board I think. They can tune ficm to

6.0 Powerstroke FICM Repair - FICM Programming Upgrade

·
Registered
115 Posts
Another EXTREMELY satisfied FICMrepair.com customer. Spend 5 minutes on the phone with Ed, and I believe you will see why.

·
Registered
312 Posts
One dissatisfied customer on this thread does not distract from all the positives listed. All I can say is my Ex ran very good before the FICM repair. But after the repair plus the Atlas 40, It runs great!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
90k on my ficmrepair.com unit and zero problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update.
i used FICMrepair.com.
got the premium service option and the eco tune. as they advise this tune if you tow more than 8,000lbs. the only thing i used the truck for is towing a 14,000 lbs dump trailer or a 36 ft enclosed haul mark.

the truck is quieter at all rpms, the throttle tip in at any rpm is more responsive with little, if any " lag". it seems to run a noticeably better at all times. i had the stock 05 FICM in before the code po280 so maybe i should of had a re tune a few years ago?
i hoping for a little better MPG only because it dosent seem to take as much effort to get to speed.

thank you to all for the suggestions and help.

jim

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sinister is pretty, but I would go Bulletproof 58v or if you want 48v. The best I hear is [email protected] get a nice 48v with atlas 40 and also get a great warranty and service. I would say

1) Ficmrepair.com
2) Bulletproof Diesel 48v/58v
3) Swamps

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Increased voltage FICMs are hokum. There is zero benefit from increasing the FICM voltage. The injectors are designed to run at 48V. What you actually get with increased voltage is a more failure prone FICM. FICMs fail mainly from low supply side voltage and heat. Stepping up input voltage to 48V puts a lot of heat into the FICM that it must then dissipate. It isn't good enough to do that at stock voltage. Increasing the voltage another 10V adds more capacitors to the amplifier section, and thus more heat into the FICM. That makes the situation worse, not better.

Now, Bulletproof's FICM is a totally new unit, so they may have addressed the heat issue to make it more reliable that the other 52 and 58V FICMs out there, but I question the logic of offering a product that serves no real benefit to the consumer. In the end I think is this just like their OC setup. Its a product in search of a problem, and its found a market due to the reputation of the 6.0, and the fact that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Bulletproof makes well designed products, but to me most of their stuff is overpriced and ends up being a good way to throw money at your truck, but not really get much in return.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree about the voltage. thats why i stuck with the 48 volt. the 6.0 may have its problems but i will side with the billions of dollars the ford engineers have spent on the product over half truths that the aftermarket provides.
the increase in voltage may cover up some issues, just not the path i chose.

jim

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hey your choice is always the best choice to you!
So I am not saying what you should have done, but the reason I suggested the 58v, was because Of the dependability I have seen with them. According to Swamps, there 58v setup has a failure rate of less than 1%. They also provide superior cold starts, and more power to the injectors opening them faster creating more fuel flow and better power equaling about 40RWHP. It also spools faster causing less problems with the spool valves for the injectors, and advancing injection timing, ultimately creating better performance and a couple more mpg. Finally I would rather not side with Ford's engineering all the time. This was a main problem source for the 6.0. The inferior head bolts, had to be changed to ARP studs for optimal performance. Which is a aftermarket company that has shown full truth and dependability in there product. Also the Ford Gold coolant was another Ford product that contained silicates that rooted the entire 6.0 head bolt/ blown head gasket failure. Another example of a Ford part that is commonly completely removed is the EGR, trucks without the engineering marvel, are less prone to HG failure, run longer, and preform optimal, even if they are not as clean. Finally any truck that was "Bulletproofed" , was because Ford messed up, and a shop, normally using mostly aftermarket parts fixes all issues. Aftermarket is after all after market, they see things fail in OEM and better it fix it, and sell it. I would prefer to side with big name aftermarket companies that I trust such as Banks, ARP, MBRP, and Mishimoto for staters, than Ford. Dont get me wrong Ford parts are marvelous too, their Oil Cooler is superior to the Dorman, but a Bulletproofed is always better. A Blue spring Mod is great, but a fuel bowl delete, RR, and a lift pump will always out do it. Thats why after all companies like Bulletproof diesel and so successful. Once again I am not a Ford hater, I love Fords!, I own 4! And use OEM parts just as I do AM parts, all in the quest to build the best running beast of a truck I can afford. Thanks for reading, Good choice and best of luck with your truck!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Do a search, you'll find a lot of people with failed 52 and 58V FICMs, usually connected to a company that sold them the FICM who trys to get them to find another cause for the problems they are having and deflect responsibility for replacing or repairing their product.

The benefits from the higher voltage FICMs have nothing to do with the voltage. You would get the same benefit from any FICM with better tuning. That's the dirty little secret they don't tell you in their marketing. Better cold starts, etc. are all attributable to tuning. It has nothing to do with the increased supply voltage. My truck has started every time as normal when cold, even with a starting ECT of 6 degrees.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Do a search, you'll find a lot of people with failed 52 and 58V FICMs, usually connected to a company that sold them the FICM who trys to get them to find another cause for the problems they are having and deflect responsibility for replacing or repairing their product.

The benefits from the higher voltage FICMs have nothing to do with the voltage. You would get the same benefit from any FICM with better tuning. That's the dirty little secret they don't tell you in their marketing. Better cold starts, etc. are all attributable to tuning. It has nothing to do with the increased supply voltage. My truck has started every time as normal when cold, even with a starting ECT of 6 degrees.
Don't think bpd has had a bad failer rate on there 58v ficm. I tried the ficm tune it made my truck have higher egt and smoke. The atlas 40 couldn't tell a difference on my 2003 with the 58v. I wouldn't put any other 58v ficm in other then the bpd bc how it's built. 6 degrees isn't cold I'm talking about -10 my truck still strat right up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts