The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my instrument cluster went bad...No indications, no PW, interior lights, or radio. So in the process of replacing it appears my alternator has stopped charging the batteries. All fuses check good, batteries hold a charge, just wondering if anyone knows if there is a correlation? New cluster will be here on Monday.

Thanks,
Art

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Art, yes, a bad instrument cluster CAN cause your alternator not to charge if it is not providing voltage to the "I" circuit on your single alternator (or primary alternator on a dual generator system) on your 7.3L equipped truck. This circuit "turns on" the voltage regulator.

You can verify this is the cause by disconnecting the three wire connector on the alternator and measuring the voltage at the Red/Green wire with the key on and the engine off. There should be battery voltage there. If not, the circuit is open, Fuse F2-45 is open or as you suspect, the instrument cluster is the cause.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I figured it had to be the cause. Just couldn't narrow it down. I will definitely check everything once I get the instrument cluster installed. I appreciate your time.

-Art

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 04 powrstroke no right half of gauge cluster as well as the key dosent work for starting you habe to jump the starter and i recently replaced pcm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts