The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to trace a leak on the driver side. Im not totally sold on the oil cooler being the culprit. Last Saturday was cold night. Sunday morning there were two puddles. One below the crossmember and the other below the leaf spring connector. The oil is running down the chassis rail towards the rear coating the fuel lines. It's also running down the crossmember and dripping just in front of the oil pan. The steering shaft is coated along with the front drive shaft. Top of the oil cooler is dry, top of the ps pump is dry. Underneath is black muck. Could it be something other than the cooler? Also, I just had an oil change done. Should have done it myself, I paid double. Thanks in advance for your help

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
did you look on top of the engine in the valley? if any oil in the valley it will drain towards the back of the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,754 Posts
Good point Yan, also make sure it's oil and not fuel, if the fuel drain O-ring are shot you'll have fuel running down the valley and then run down the back of the block.
HP oil pump, IPR HP lines O-rings , could be a number of things .
I suggest you de-grease the motor nice and clean and dry then take a small drive to get the oil hot and recheck to see where your leak is , as you said the service was done by a shop so there could be some sloppy work done on their behalf.:frown2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Take a close look at the power steering lines. Mine were leaking at the box (nearly rotted through), so I decided to change them all. The leak ran right down the drivers side frame rail and coated both sides.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. A brief history. The hpop and complete fuel bowl assembly were replaces two years ago along with the fuel drain valve. The brake booster replaced last year. This year new hubs, rotors, pads and ALL u-joints were replaced. I also had the front driveshaft and hanger bearing replaced. After the front end service my right side caliper locked up doing 70. I suspect the guy that did the front end work possibly damaged it when compressing it for the new pads. So I bring it back for two new calipers and a LOF. They overfilled it by 2 1/2 quarts. That's when I saw the leak. I drained and refilled the oil to the proper level and reinstalled an oem filter. Unlike my signature says, the truck is well maintained.
They valley is dry. The fluid is dark brown not red. No antifreeze is leaking. The back of the plastic part ps pump has some signs of leakage but the lines and fittings to it are clean. I'm going to degrease it for the second time tonight and try to catch this leak. It's not leaking now but it's also above 60 deg. The two times it leaked it was cold around 30. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
sounds like your on the right track - temperature could be playing a role. The problem is that the fan can make things look like they come from somewhere else.

Usually HPOP and fuel leaks drain out the back and down the passenger side.

Oil cooler leaks - you would be able to tell as the exchanger would be wet / dark.

I also think that the best bet is the PS fluid - either they topped it off and it just collected in the many lines and corrugated wraps and is slowly coming out, or there is a leak there - but it sounds like puddles would show up in dramatic loss of fluid. The PS pump can also spit fluid out if you turn the wheels wit the truck off - you could see puddles then.

Finally, it does not take much dirt to turn PS fluid dark and thick.

Post the results - looks like you're determined!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts