The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will make this as short as possible. Bought 2011 F250 new from Dealer A on Dec 31, 2010. Had 3-4 second reverse delay issue after week one. Told Dealer A there was a problem, they said could do nothing since no TSB. Finally TSB 11-06-11 came out almost start of summer 2011. Dealer A did solenoid repair per TSB and reverse delay shift happened the 2nd time using reverse on way home. Went about 2 weeks more to see what would happen and it did the reverse delay total of about 6 times. Took truck back to Dealer A, who had it for another week; emailed me they were able to duplicate the reverse delay shift and asked me to come pick up truck. When I did pick it up, they did not do any more repair, nor were they going to since FORD told them "this is a normal condition". I told Dealer A VERY BLUNTLY how bad customer service this was and I am NOT impressed with how FORD and/or Dealer A handled the issue. When I left, I spoke with the Regional Service Manager (name witheld to protect) and he indicated they will get back to me in 3 days with an answer about what FORD will do. FORD did not call me back.....I intentionally did not call FORD or the dealer just to see if they will live up to their word. I called back about 3 weeks later to make an appointment to have oil changed and rotate tires......Dealer A told me they no longer will service me for ANY ISSUE. I reported my issue on the FORD customer service feedback website (2 separate postings) and they called me back the next day. Result: I now take the truck to Dealer B. Dealer B, since the end of 2011 have done 3 additional repairs to the transmission, REPLACED entire transmission, REPLACED PCM (computer brain...) and it STILL DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY. STILL PERIODICALLY HAS 3-4 SECOND REVERSE DELAY ENGAGEMENT. Dealer B told me today that FORD will no longer authorize ANY more repairs. I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH MY F250, DEALER A, NOR THE WAY FORD HAS RESPONDED TODAY PER THE SERVICE MANAGER AT DEALER B. :icon_mad: I called FORD Customer Care Service Solutions at 1-800-392-3673 and the person said "someone" will be contacting me within 2 business days that has the ability to reach a decision regarding "repair" or "replacement". I do not believe FORD will offer to replace my vehicle based on their original response through Dealer A that it is a "normal condition"......I believe that FORD thinks by prolonging a resolution, me (customer) will just plain give up......WELL THEY ARE WRONG.
This is my 1st FORD vehicle.....always owned GMC before. I was NEVER treated this bad with GMC. Wish me luck, and I will let you all know what happens.

· Registered
841 Posts
OK, I will bite.

Your complaint is a 3-4 second delay. Keep in mind I am not a tech however I am somewhat familiar with some of the reasons Ford makes decisions on programing shift action. Did it ever occur to you that Ford does this to protect the transmission from damage when shifting D to R? Have you drove another truck and replicated the problem on a different truck? It very well could be a normal operation.

Ford spends a lot of time and money on programing in order to protect vehicles from having transmission failure. This could be a built in safety feature that your GM truck did not have.

Chrysler has this feature built into their Charger police car programing. It causes problems when performing a J turn maneuver. I have experienced this myself at a police car test.

Go drive another truck like yours and see if it has the same issue.

BTW, dealer A should have to answer for refusing to work on the vehicle and all parties involved need a lesson on customer satisfaction and communication.

Good luck. :ford:

· Registered
112 Posts
you are not the only one

I will make this as short as possible. Bought 2011 F250 new from Dealer A on Dec 31, 2010. Had 3-4 second reverse delay issue after week one. Told Dealer A there was a problem, they said could do nothing since no TSB. Finally TSB 11-06-11 came out almost start of summer 2011. Dealer A did solenoid repair per TSB and reverse delay shift happened the 2nd time using reverse on way home. Went about 2 weeks more to see what would happen and it did the reverse delay total of about 6 times. Took truck back to Dealer A, who had it for another week; emailed me they were able to duplicate the reverse delay shift and asked me to come pick up truck. When I did pick it up, they did not do any more repair, nor were they going to since FORD told them "this is a normal condition". I told Dealer A VERY BLUNTLY how bad customer service this was and I am NOT impressed with how FORD and/or Dealer A handled the issue. When I left, I spoke with the Regional Service Manager (name witheld to protect) and he indicated they will get back to me in 3 days with an answer about what FORD will do. FORD did not call me back.....I intentionally did not call FORD or the dealer just to see if they will live up to their word. I called back about 3 weeks later to make an appointment to have oil changed and rotate tires......Dealer A told me they no longer will service me for ANY ISSUE. I reported my issue on the FORD customer service feedback website (2 separate postings) and they called me back the next day. Result: I now take the truck to Dealer B. Dealer B, since the end of 2011 have done 3 additional repairs to the transmission, REPLACED entire transmission, REPLACED PCM (computer brain...) and it STILL DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY. STILL PERIODICALLY HAS 3-4 SECOND REVERSE DELAY ENGAGEMENT. Dealer B told me today that FORD will no longer authorize ANY more repairs. I AM NOT IMPRESSED WITH MY F250, DEALER A, NOR THE WAY FORD HAS RESPONDED TODAY PER THE SERVICE MANAGER AT DEALER B. :icon_mad: I called FORD Customer Care Service Solutions at 1-800-392-3673 and the person said "someone" will be contacting me within 2 business days that has the ability to reach a decision regarding "repair" or "replacement". I do not believe FORD will offer to replace my vehicle based on their original response through Dealer A that it is a "normal condition"......I believe that FORD thinks by prolonging a resolution, me (customer) will just plain give up......WELL THEY ARE WRONG.
This is my 1st FORD vehicle.....always owned GMC before. I was NEVER treated this bad with GMC. Wish me luck, and I will let you all know what happens.
You, me, and thousands of others have trans issues on the 2011 superduty, what you describe is just a little one, if it is one, more of a concern out there wit the shift flares, the hard and abrupt 1 to 2 to 3 shifts, hanging in neutral between shifts, and lots more problems. IF i were you id start paying attention to what else its doing, because mine has a crap load of shifting issues, has spent months at the dealer, your are right by the way, their customer service isn't great, i already ditched one dealer that kept on saying there is no problem, well guess what i took it to another dealer and they noticed the problems right away, and so did everyone else who has ever driven my truck around the block, they get out and say, its a nice truck, but you got some massive trans problems, this is form regular joes. There does not appear to be any fix at this time. good luck to us all!

· Registered
214 Posts
Been there... Done that... Sorry to hear... I love the "Can't duplicate the problem" Reply... Must be the new saying at Ford. My 2011 F250 6.2 was lemoned lawed.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
Hi maineF250engineer,

I want to jump in here and see how I can help. Since you've been in touch with your regional customer service manager, I can arrange to have them call you back. Send me a PM with your VIN, preferred dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll start investigating some options for you.

Thanks!

Crystal

· Registered
148 Posts
Shift flare

You, me, and thousands of others have trans issues on the 2011 superduty, what you describe is just a little one, if it is one, more of a concern out there wit the shift flares, the hard and abrupt 1 to 2 to 3 shifts, hanging in neutral between shifts, and lots more problems. IF i were you id start paying attention to what else its doing, because mine has a crap load of shifting issues, has spent months at the dealer, your are right by the way, their customer service isn't great, i already ditched one dealer that kept on saying there is no problem, well guess what i took it to another dealer and they noticed the problems right away, and so did everyone else who has ever driven my truck around the block, they get out and say, its a nice truck, but you got some massive trans problems, this is form regular joes. There does not appear to be any fix at this time. good luck to us all!
The best one is when they tell you they can not recreate what you are telling them. When I said to the service manage, " Your telling me no one else is having this problem". His reply was, " No I have no other customers with this problem". That must be the corporate reply. I just hope it gets fixed before the u-joints go bad from the harsh bang into 3rd gear.

· Registered
879 Posts
The best one is when they tell you they can not recreate what you are telling them. When I said to the service manage, " Your telling me no one else is having this problem". His reply was, " No I have no other customers with this problem". That must be the corporate reply. I just hope it gets fixed before the u-joints go bad from the harsh bang into 3rd gear.
It pretty simple. The dealer needs to verify the issue so they know exactly what is occurring. There can be many different symptoms to many different faults. Just because a customer says one thing does not mean that is what is occurring. I cannot tell you how many times a RO was written with wrong information or even the customers description was not accurate. Many perceived transmission problems are not a transmission issue but related to a drivability issue. Then the tech needs to be able to know how to verify a repair once done. Then you have the guys that trolls the internet and wants to get everything done to their vehicle that other people had done. Lastly you have the constant whiners that wants their superduty transmission to shift just like a different vehicle. There are certain level of adaptives that can command a firm shift to prevent transmission damage under certain conditions. My favorite was during a down shift when fully loaded with a trailer going up hill and going WOT. Of course it is going to be a firm downshift. If you really want firm shifts under heavy load drive a GM truck with a Duramax and an Allison transmission. While I like that kind of shift I cannot imagine what the complaints the GM dealers get. Actually I do as I have talked to a few GM techs and service writers.

If the dealer cannot duplicate the issue they can and should have a VDR hooked up so you can record the fault. So no it is not a corporate reply (I should know as an ex-Ford tech and hot line rep) just we need to know exactly what is going on in your specific truck.

· Registered
148 Posts
It pretty simple. The dealer needs to verify the issue so they know exactly what is occurring. There can be many different symptoms to many different faults. Just because a customer says one thing does not mean that is what is occurring. I cannot tell you how many times a RO was written with wrong information or even the customers description was not accurate. Many perceived transmission problems are not a transmission issue but related to a drivability issue. Then the tech needs to be able to know how to verify a repair once done. Then you have the guys that trolls the internet and wants to get everything done to their vehicle that other people had done. Lastly you have the constant whiners that wants their superduty transmission to shift just like a different vehicle. There are certain level of adaptives that can command a firm shift to prevent transmission damage under certain conditions. My favorite was during a down shift when fully loaded with a trailer going up hill and going WOT. Of course it is going to be a firm downshift. If you really want firm shifts under heavy load drive a GM truck with a Duramax and an Allison transmission. While I like that kind of shift I cannot imagine what the complaints the GM dealers get. Actually I do as I have talked to a few GM techs and service writers.

If the dealer cannot duplicate the issue they can and should have a VDR hooked up so you can record the fault. So no it is not a corporate reply (I should know as an ex-Ford tech and hot line rep) just we need to know exactly what is going on in your specific truck.

I understand what you are saying as my job for 40 yrs. was dealing with customer issues in service departments and techs. When I was told that by the service manager I understood at that time. But when the harsh shift flare from 2 - 3 is sporadic and never knowing when it will happen. When I say harsh I mean it sounds like the drive shaft is going to be torn from under the vehicle. It loudly bangs into third. It is very probable it will not replicate for the tech. But the TSB reads may exhibit a 2-3 shift flare and/or throw a code with a engine lite and/or have a delayed reverse. It becomes a safety issue when the wife is driving the truck, and it did it on a slippery road throwing her into a skid. What I object to is getting, it has no codes and we can not duplicate it so there is nothing we can do. The TSB does not state that they must duplicate, It just needs the recalibration. And I do understand what you are saying. But there are customers that understand and realize that the fix is there, all the tech has to do is read and realize that the Job 1 and Job 2 6R140 transmission has a problem or two. It comes down to if you get the tech that's good at his job or the one who is just a parts installer. They are both out there and I have had dealings with both.

· Registered
879 Posts
I understand what you are saying as my job for 40 yrs. was dealing with customer issues in service departments and techs. When I was told that by the service manager I understood at that time. But when the harsh shift flare from 2 - 3 is sporadic and never knowing when it will happen. When I say harsh I mean it sounds like the drive shaft is going to be torn from under the vehicle. It loudly bangs into third. It is very probable it will not replicate for the tech. But the TSB reads may exhibit a 2-3 shift flare and/or throw a code with a engine lite and/or have a delayed reverse. It becomes a safety issue when the wife is driving the truck, and it did it on a slippery road throwing her into a skid. What I object to is getting, it has no codes and we can not duplicate it so there is nothing we can do. The TSB does not state that they must duplicate, It just needs the recalibration. And I do understand what you are saying. But there are customers that understand and realize that the fix is there, all the tech has to do is read and realize that the Job 1 and Job 2 6R140 transmission has a problem or two. It comes down to if you get the tech that's good at his job or the one who is just a parts installer. They are both out there and I have had dealings with both.
I definitely agree that when you have a complaint that matchs a TSB it really should be done. For the most part when a customer comes in with a concern it is legitimate. However there are the internet guys that look for any TSB that applies to vehicle that closely match's theirs and they demand it to be done. In many cases it does not apply to their vehicle. Mustang guys are pretty much the worst for that and Focus owners are usually next in line. They see something and they want it for free when they do not even have an issue or signs of an issue. In many cases it doesn't apply to their specific build date or option list.

But even if the TSB does or does not apply when you return several times the dealer should be installing a VDR and loading up TRANS-RAT, GEAR-RAT, VSS, OSS-SRC, TSS-SRC, VSS, RPM, APP, LOAD, GEAR, and anything else that they want and have you record the event for them. When I look at a recording I can detect if there is a slip or not. Most hard shifts are due to a slip either felt or not felt because there is a delay between the command to shift and the actual measured shift. These times are compared to the other shifts and even to a known good shift. It takes some time and effort and the tech may not get paid for all the work but that is the nature of the job. Most customers don't come to the dealer because they really miss the place, they come because they have an issue or perceived issue that needs to be addressed. Either repaired or customer education on how the system works and what to expect.

· Registered
148 Posts
I was at the dealer today for my state inspection and for the 2-3 shift flare. Tech took the truck for a test drive and it happened so I received the recalibration. As others have said the shifting is smoother and use the correct terminology when you are talking to the service writer. This time the tech came and talked to me asking questions before he drove the truck.

· Registered
1 Posts
i just brought my 2012 to torrington ford, and they are replacing the transmission because of the 2-3 second delay shifting into d or r. The reason was that the torque converter was installed incorrectly(has to align on two flat surfaces on shaft) and thus vibrated. It caused the hydraulic pump to fail. I had a vibration from day 1, and ford replaced tires, rims etc to no avail, turns out it was the transmission all along. I also had the front crank seal installed backwards from the factory and oild leaking down motor. No attitude from dealer, fixed all under "warranty" at 69,000 mikes

wes

· Registered
2,743 Posts
i just brought my 2012 to torrington ford, and they are replacing the transmission because of the 2-3 second delay shifting into d or r. The reason was that the torque converter was installed incorrectly(has to align on two flat surfaces on shaft) and thus vibrated. It caused the hydraulic pump to fail. I had a vibration from day 1, and ford replaced tires, rims etc to no avail, turns out it was the transmission all along. I also had the front crank seal installed backwards from the factory and oild leaking down motor. No attitude from dealer, fixed all under "warranty" at 69,000 mikes

wes
I'm glad your dealership is taking great care of you, Wes. Be sure to come back and let us know how the repair goes. If you need any assistance, just let me know. :thumbsup:

Crystal

· Registered
1 Posts
Good to hear

When I see that a transmission was actually replaced I am baffled I mean it took this long for someone to finally get a dealer to fix it. I have had my 2011 6.2L since Jan 11 (23 miles new) and it has been in a couple times a year to be checked. Every time they assure me that the transmission is either not replicating the problem or is functioning normally. At one point they replaced the recalled BCM and said that would fix my transmission lol. Here I am at 89k Miles and the truck still shifts like crap. I have posted to other forums and places. Made videos along the way and never got it resolved. I really thought this would make a great forever truck but it's never been addressed by ford one time so I don't see how me paying for a replacement would get me in a better situation. Yes I drive like a grandpa waiting for huge gaps in traffic just because I know there is a 50/50 chance I will stall out in neutral for a while. The rough shifts on days my back hurts and the loud thuds going into reverse are what really get me though. I've tried 3 different ford dealers about my issues all had the same responses. Most of my Ford loyal friends have gone onto the new GMC I'm afraid I'll be next, just don't see the point in replacing the transmission and dealing with this for another few years. On top of that it's just embarrassing for any guy to have such a poor shifting vehicle.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread I was doing my routine check on transmission updates for these trucks and came across this one.

· Registered
2,743 Posts
...The rough shifts on days my back hurts and the loud thuds going into reverse are what really get me though. I've tried 3 different ford dealers about my issues all had the same responses...
Welcome to the forum, Principle; I want to dig into this a bit further and see how I can best assist. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work.

Crystal

· Registered
2 Posts
I have an 177k 12 f-250 6.7 the transmission shifts perfectly if I back out of a parking stall then put in drive and go. Then at the next stop light it bangs from 1st to 2nd and sometimes to 3rd. If I don't drive a ways (1/8 mile) and let the truck shift into 5or6 when it down shifts from 3rd to 2nd and to 1st it down shifts really hard as well some of the time it shifts so hard up or down that it brakes traction with 37's and the traction control on. Dealer said they could flash the tcm build date is 7-11 What do I need to do. Should I have it flashed ($94) or have them replace solenoids or? I bought the truck 6k ago and it wast shifting like this when I bought it and is progressively getting worse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.