The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most reliable truck EVER! I took my 1995 F-250 with 7.3 into my mechanic for some front end work and to replace leak at oil cooler. Things went wrong when pressing cooler back together and O-ring did not seat correctly. Resulting in water in oil and oil in cooling system. Truck was started and driven only 150 feet or so (supposedly). Anyway the oil and filter were then changed twice and cooling system flushed out with garden hose. when truck was taken for test drive after refixing cooler, it dies on side of road. Giving codes 1280 and 1211 and battery light began blinking spasticlly.
ICP was replaced and fuel filters in tanks checked (both were clean). Oil and filter were changed again at my insistence. Over flow for cooling system is full (or appears to be full) of a white foam. Mechanic says it is just a thin layer on top but when I stick a piston rod down in it, the entire length comes out covered in this white substance. Truck runs HORRIBLE Any where at or above 2000 RPMs it misses and chugs kinda like it is vapor locking. Runs rough at the idle, purty much just hurting.
Mechanic says that there is no way what happened with oil cooler could cause this engine problem to occur.
Not once in 7 years has this truck ever quit on the side of the road. I am a female and have driven from new mexico to seattle twice towing a horse trailer with horses by my self, and never thought twice about being stranded. Now I am afraid to go to end of driveway to check mail.
Can anyone tell me if there is any relation between these incedents? But more importantly what could have happened to it and is it fixable? HELP!!
Truck has 250,00 and never ran better than when I dropped it off. I just had a small exhaust leak fixed and she was loving life.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
I'm sure that you know it but you need a different mechanic.

These trucks use oil to fire the injectors and if you have water in it that could be the problem. So the first thing that I would do is a oil change, there could still be some water in it The oil in the coolant needs to be washed out and a garden hose will not do it. You are going to need to do a coolant flush with something that will cut the oil. Some have used Simple Green and others have used a low suds dish washing soap for a automatic dish washer. Get it into the coolant and run the truck for a while to get it into all the passages Then once all the oil is gone some fresh coolant with the proper amount of SCA additive needs to be ran. Here is a link on how to do a proper coolant flush.

On the filters in the tanks, there are not any. There are screened pickups on the ends of the fuel lines in the tanks and very seldom does anything need to be done with them. The only fuel filter on these trucks is the one in the valley of the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts