The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Both my upper ball joints are shot in my 96 f250 4x4. Can these be replaced without removed the lowers? Should bearings be done at this time? I may replace all but money is tight at the moment. I also need to replace the driverside front axle u-joint. Can anyone tell me what all parts / tools i will need for this job? (I have been searching for how to's etc.. but still not positive what all i need as far as seals etc..)
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,337 Posts
The lower ball joint needs to come out before you can remove the upper, so you might as well replace both. They're likely worn out as well. Depending on mileage and condition when you remove them, your wheel bearings are likely OK. Just clean, repack with grease and reinstall.

You'll need a ball joint press and the appropriate adapters. You can probably get those from your local auto parts store. Most will loan them to you with a deposit that's refunded on return.

The parts store should be able to help you on seals as well. Unless the differential seal is currently leaking, leave that alone. The differential carrier needs to come out to replace the diff seals. There should be a dust seal just inboard of the u-joint, which should be replaced, as well as the seal outboard of the u-joint. Also the wheel bearing seal that goes on the inner side of the hub after the inner bearings are installed.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If you are that far in, take a good look at the brake rotors. I know you say money is tight and I've been there, but if you can swing it, I'd at least throw rotors at it if they look close to needing replaced.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lower ball joint needs to come out before you can remove the upper, so you might as well replace both. They're likely worn out as well. Depending on mileage and condition when you remove them, your wheel bearings are likely OK. Just clean, repack with grease and reinstall.

You'll need a ball joint press and the appropriate adapters. You can probably get those from your local auto parts store. Most will loan them to you with a deposit that's refunded on return.

The parts store should be able to help you on seals as well. Unless the differential seal is currently leaking, leave that alone. The differential carrier needs to come out to replace the diff seals. There should be a dust seal just inboard of the u-joint, which should be replaced, as well as the seal outboard of the u-joint. Also the wheel bearing seal that goes on the inner side of the hub after the inner bearings are installed.

Thanks for the info. It looked like the lower had to come out before doing the upper.

Hope i can get this all done in a day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts