The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like the performance of the banks six gun on the 7.3? Tell me whatever you think about it, problems, likes, dislikes, whatever you have to say about it i wanna hear it. Also how is the install? and does it come with the digital guage? and last but not least, what is the speed loader? Thanks alot guys.

wells

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm not usually the kind of guy to get in someone elses business. But I think that there are much better options for you than what Banks has to offer. Don't get me wrong they make a great product, but I think an adjustable chip from DP-Tuner would beat it hands down.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

·
Registered
221 Posts
A 6-gun is not going to make the most power...a Jody Tipton or other custom programs will out power it hands down. The 6-gun is a fancy 10K mod...not that this is a bad thing. THe 6-gun does offer you a pyrometer and boost guage built in, all you have to do is drill your manifold for the pyrometer probe to screw into. Its a change on the fly device, so it can be set at lvl 1 (off) upto lvl 6 (max) while driving. It fits into a standard pillar guage pod, and it has factory plugs so its a very simple install. It took me and a pal about 45 min to put it in, but I did not have to drill for pyrometer because I also did a power elbow (has the pyrometer hole already in it). Its not bad for the cost, I think it was about $450...and like I said it gives you the 2 guages. A boost guage is nothing more than a toy to look at most of the time, a pyrometer is is your diesels heart beat...I keep my 6-gun display on the EGT's all the time. I have had mine for a year and have no issues with it. There are other similar options, and one is as good as the next. If you like Bank's and like the look of the 6-gun you cant go wrong, and you can still add a chip to your truck while retaining the 6-gun. If you were wanting to go with stand alone guages, I would recomend that you get the guages and go with a custom tune from TS or Jody Tipton at D-P Tuner. If your wanting a single device, clean install, and ease of use without the desire to get all into hot-rodding the truck...a six gun is a fine choice as any similar device. Some folks may hate it just cause it says Banks, others may like it for that reason....but be warned... if you mention Bank's products on the forums you will find that many of the forum users are higher end guys and dont like the Bank's products, so you will hear much negative and not a lot of posative about Bank's on some the more well known forums. I would not let that sawy me away, especially if your not looking to race your truck, but rather looking (like I mentioned..) for a clean and easy install that gets you some noticable power with 2 guages in a single and clean looking device with a digital display.

Also, Bank's just sent out a flyer that says that they are having an end of year "Open Box" sell on returned items. You may be able to call and get a 6-gun direct from banks for a reduced cost right now...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have read so many bad things about the Banks products lately that I would not tough anything they offer. Don't want any of it anyway. You pay way too much just for the name. As stated above you will not touch the power of a custom burned chip.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I have installed a Six-Gun on my truck and many customers are using them. They are attractive from the stand point that you get some power enhancement from ICP with the pyrometer gauge. So for not much more money than the gauges, you get both. Also the Six-Gun can be stacked with chips and programmers. We have also seen a few problems with them such as button failures or display issues and Banks has been very good about replacing those units.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I agree with what you've said, but I was just thinking to myself about your take on the boost gauge being a toy, and the pyro being the important one. This is very true, but for some reason, my pyro has become the toy and my boost gauge has become the important one lol. The pyro's just something to watch flash back and forth but the boost gauge tells me when I'm getting to rough on the turbo/drive pressure/headgaskets. It also tells me when I've got a leak or I'm not fueling as well. The pyro is totally worthless for me now except for towing. My pyro just pretty much goes straight down anytime I'm at WOT for more than about 2 seconds, so it's not really usefull lol. Watching the pyro is not going to do much because it jumps over 1250 in about 4 milliseconds at WOT, so it's really just up to me to understand how hard the engines working and understand how hard I want to push it because driving by the gauge and not accounting for time lag for full heat soak would leave me high and dry by about halfway through 3rd gear, and off the gauge is somewhere about halfway through 4th gear lol. So the egt's are more of a "feel" now than a reading. I still watch it, but I can't drive by it except when under sustained load like towing or I guess if I were trying to run at maximum speed that 1250 would allow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. But the boost is something I would be lost without. Same goes for the high pressure oil gauge as far as diagnostics.

Just thought that it was strange how my boost and pyro gauges have had a role reversal sometime in the last couple years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Charlie

On Edit: Doesn't the Banks Six Gun also offer defueling at a preset egt? That would be extremely nice for towing. Just set the limit and floor it, then it will modulate the "throttle" for you. And you can't really compare it to a chip because like was said, it's just an ICP mod in the resistor mod category. Maybe the king of all resistor mods lol.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
yea but how much does a custom burned chip cost and what do you need to get one burn dont you need a blank chip or something thats what my stealer said.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you buy a chip from any of the vendors your getting a chip and "custom programs" for your year and code. If your wanting someone like Jody to do live tunning, one its gonna cost $$$ he's a by the hour guy and two he will use one of his chips.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Charlie hit the nail on the head. I looked the banks and ended up going with Edge Juice/Attitude.

The biggest advantage to me is the ability to have a preset EGT that it starts to defuel. You can set it at a higher setting than usual and let ‘the box’ decide when enough heat is enough. You would get a visual flash when you exceed your preset EGT. Mash on the floor until you hit your preset and don’t worry about it. Just peace of mind for me as my truck has a trailer behind it 75% of the time and need to keep it on the road. I'm not heavily modified but do pull some heavy loads.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
there's not anything really WRONG with banks, it's just about what people want. i'll be the first to tell you i won't buy any of their programming, but it's a decent power upgrade, easy to install, just expensive. it's possible to do more for less.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes, the 6-gun does defuel at a preset EGT limit that you adjust from 950 to 1350 degrees. It lights a bright red LED when it hits the temp and a warning scrolls across the screen until the EGT's get under the limit that you chose. You can select the display to show EGT, Boost, or % of fuel over stock. Its cost is really not that bad if you consider that a boost/egt guage package goes for about $150, so your getting the 150 in guages and $300 for the neatly packaged, on the fly adjustable ICP mod. For what it does and what it offers it really is a bargain! I think its like anything else, there is a type of buyer for it, as well as there is for everything else out there. Its not a good or bad thing, its a what do YOU want thing. I like my 6-gun. My problem is like many of you, I thought the powerpack would be all I ever want...it is all I ever NEED....but man....I still WANT more! My wife says I'm all done playing hot-rod trucker...so I will keep my powerpack with the extras and be happy she allowed me this. I love the woman....but imagine the fun/trouble I could get myself into if I were still single and did not have 3 shildren! I guess she is the ying to my yang....keeping me alive and sane!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts