The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade from my stock air filter and intake system. I'm thinking about buying the AFE Stage 2 or the Banks system. However, before I make my choice I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer.

1.) Can anyone confirm or deny that Banks is using K&N filters?

2.) Does the Banks thow codes?

3.) How is the performance over stock?

4.) Overall fit and finish...Easy install?

Thanks to anyone who can help inform me!

Karl (Turbo Kidd)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Unless your using some sort of Tuner, any CAI other then stock would be a waste of money. The stock CAI flows more then enough air for the vehicle to run at peak performance.

Now, if you were running a tuner then,

1. Not a K&N

2. Initially there were some codes. I haven't received a code myself since mid 2008. Other CAI's were the same way but it appears everyone has worked it out or the trucks learned and no longer throw a code.

3. Without a tuner, Nill

4. Excellent, very easy to install

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.....My biggest concern is / was that Banks is NOT using a K&N filter. I'm planning on doing the CAI, H&S and a delete soon. I will be doing the intake first as I need a new filter NOW, and I can't justify buying a stock one at those prices. I would rather upgrade and be able to maintain / clean one.

I know everyone has different opinions, but how does Banks compare to AFE & S&B? I have always used AFE with my other diesels.....but, the banks looks so clean on the 6.4

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't know much about the AFE or S&B intakes. But I can tell you that the Banks is a very clean look and very easy install.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
X2 for the banks. Easy install...but more importantly is the seal the filter makes around the intake tube.

I have towed extensively with mine. Cross country a couple of times, up and down the east coast.

I tow heavy and that things moves alot of air. I have had mine off a couple of times to check it and once to clean it. The intake and turbo are always spotless.

Does you the same cleaner as the KN. But not a KN filter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smotrs & senix,

Thanks for the replys to my questions. My situation is much like all 6.4 owners.....I love my truck, but I hate the emmisions and the poor fuel economy. I have owned a few diesels in my time and modded the hell out of them...LOL.

I have been battleing the idea of gutting this pig and running wild.....But, being a performance junkie, I would like to do things different this time. I would love to run fast and clean. That is almost a contradiction there isn't it? The idea of running banks tuning (6 Gun) along with the CAI is starting to become more appealing. I just don't want to regen all the time.

I wish someone would make a High Performance / High Flow DPF. I know ATS was working on one a year ago....But, I have not heard anything since.

Can either of you enlighten me on running a complete Banks package?

Thanks!
Karl (Turbo Kidd)

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I regen about every 500 miles emtpy with the 6-gun on level 2. That is usually where I run it.

If I am towing light then I leave it there (under 10K).

Towing more than that I run it in stock.

Running empty I am usually about 13 city and 17 hwy.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Like senix, I regen just under 500mi with my Six-Gun as well, Typically ride around in level 2 for fuel economy or level 5 when I want more. I stay away from level 6 as it's not as clean as the others.

Currently I'm testing Banks new tuner, the AutoMind. So far on the testing I have been able to do it gets about the same mileage as the Six-Gun but with 150+ hp added to the system. I've had to revert back to stock for a dealer visit and been working with Banks on getting the AM working just right with the new flash, so I haven't been able to determine the regen frequency yet.

As for the complete package, we both have it. Full intake, full exhaust and tuner. Speaking for myself, I really like it. As I mentioned with the CAI, the exhaust as well is a very clean install and very functional system. I have the dual exit exhaust and have gotten allot of compliments with the looks of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
smotrs,

Please tell me more about the AutoMind. 150 HP sounds like a winner to me. Do you need the Six-gun to run the AutoMind, or is it a stand alone product?

Thanks,
Karl (Turbo Kidd)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Karl, The AM is a standalone product, like the Six-Gun it's 50 state legal. Only negative I can think of at this point is that it flashes the trucks computer. You plug it into the OBDII port and follow the onscreen instructions. Then your able to install 1 of several programs after it backs up the stock engine and trans tunes.

Here's there page regarding the product.
Banks AutoMind

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shaun,

Thanks for the link....I just checked it out. Looks solid. Is the Automind compatable with the IQ? I realy like the looks of that display. Also, please fill me in on your regen frequency after you collect more data.

Thanks Again,
Karl (Turbo Kidd)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There are two different versions of the iQ that I'm aware of, one is the standard iQ which will work and do everything you need with the Six-Gun the other is the universal iQ which I believe will allow it to work with the AM and monitor everything as well as control the Speed Brake if you get it. But verify before purchasing.

Will do regarding the regen data.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also purchased the complete package from Banks, the CAI, iQ, and 6-Gun. Installed the CAI first, no issues, looks super clean, fit is great. But no real gains to speak of, and no additional turbo-whine, which I would have preferred. Never threw a single code after install.

Now, for the iQ and 6-gun. I know this is a quality system, and Banks is a quality vendor, but the 6-gun would not work on my truck. I installed the unit, tried to calibrate the trans starting on level 2, and engine lost all power. Ran like it was in a 'safe-mode'. pulled the inline fuse going to the tuner module, and truck ran like stock. Spent 3 months on the phone (3-4) hours a week with banks tech support. First 3 guys i worked with were not helpful at all, then they transferred me to a tech that knew the PS6.4 and he was very helpful. They sent me 3 wiring harness', three 6-gun modules, did countless diagnostics with them over the phone (as much as can be done over the phone)... and the unit would still not work. I do have confidence in Banks, and if I had been local to their shop, they would have worked with my truck to determine the root cause. But, unfortunately, that was not possible, and they were quick to refund 100% of my purchase price.

I am still unsure what the issue was with my truck, and the 6-gun, but it would not work at all. I really really really wanted it to work. So, as a result, I have yet to make another vendor purchase.

Hope this helps with your decision, though my experience was not great, Banks did what they could do to make it work. When the day comes to get another truck, I will still have them on the top of my list. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Considering Banks too

I am at a point I need to make a decision on this subject. My 2008 has 45k miles and is still under warranty. My current filter doesn't require replacement now, but it will. So the question........

Replace with stock direct replacement at $60
Replace with K & N direct replacement at $85
Replace with Banks Ram Air at $395

My biggest concern is the possibility of codes or worse, voiding the warranty. I have used K & N filters on all of my vehicles and love having the ability to clean and reuse. I had a K & N on my 97 Expedition and it did have an increased throttle response. I love tinkering so when the warranty is up on the truck, I may start looking at other mods for increased fuel economy or power. This leads me to believe the Banks Ram Air is worth while.

Thoughts?
Vincent

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Don't get a K&N, I've heard nothing but bad things about it. They may flow plenty if sure but they also allow dirt through them as well from what others have reported.

If your not using some sort of tuner, start with the stock CAI and filter as it flows more them enough air for the engines demands. If you need a filter, you may even want to go to Ford parts and get a new MotorCraft, our whichever they use.

That said, the Banks CAI had a very good fit and finish. Easy to install and service and if you get a tuner it will flow allot of air. I would buy again if I had to start over.

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I have had the banks for about 50K miles so far. Clean fit, easy install and more importantly it is a tight seal. You do not want to dust your turbos.

I tow heavy and therefore alot of air passes thru mine..and no turbo issues for me.

I just got off the road as a matter fact about 1 hour ago. In Lawernce KS tonight.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So what became of this????

Did you get a setup and put some miles on it?

I am on the fence with Banks that runs clean and the H&S to just gut it and run.

I like tuned trucks and want to do this 08 nice and clean too. But if I loose the DPF then it $2K just to replace it. I can tune and gut for that.

My truck has 110K on it now so if I shelf the exhaust and use it for e test then it will last forever......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to upgrade from my stock air filter and intake system. I'm thinking about buying the AFE Stage 2 or the Banks system. However, before I make my choice I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer.

1.) Can anyone confirm or deny that Banks is using K&N filters?

2.) Does the Banks thow codes?

3.) How is the performance over stock?

4.) Overall fit and finish...Easy install?

Thanks to anyone who can help inform me!

Karl (Turbo Kidd)
Not too sure what came of this but, my Banks kit is using a K&N filter.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts