The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with the IQ freezing and gauges going blank. Tech support has been great with working with me, but its a hassle having to take everything out and send back. I'm on my 3rd IQ, first 2 were old style and now I have the newest style, and 2nd bridge. It started a few months ago where the gauges would freeze and I'd have to reset the IQ. It then progressed to where I could not get them to work at all. With the new IQ I can get everything working, but I have to turn the IQ on/off 2-3 times when I start the truck. I've tried starting it with the IQ hooked up and also with it unhooked and get the same results. Also while driving the gauges will just go blank and I turn the IQ on/off and they come back on for awhile. Everything has been updated to the latest versions. I'm starting to consider its something with the truck but I have no clue what it could be.

I was just curious to see if anyone else who had the IQ has had any kind of issue like this or heard of anything.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Same same!

No, you're not crazy - mine is doing the same thing. Not so much when I start the truck but during travel. It has frozen once or twice on start up but happens 2 to 3 times a day while driving. I was told to check all connections but haven't had a chance to pull off the dash side panel and get in there yet. I hope they find something soon - this is a second chance for me. I just got this one with the IQ - I had a SixGun with the switch 2 years ago and sent it back due to some weird problems then. hopefully, enough people will come forward with the issue to get the Engineers looking into it!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Every once in awhile when I start mine I will have a white screen. I just turn the oq off and then back on.

I think it is a communications error is all.

Not sure what to make of your issues.

What are the temps? I don't leave mine in the truck if it is below freezing or hotter than 80 outside.

BTW, my Garmin will do that sometimes as well. I have to shut the stereo down completely, count to 10 and then re-boot. Apparently it is a computer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a similar issue. I just recieved a "new" version of the iQ after my last one had problems. Anyways, 3 different times now when I start the truck a grey error box shows up on the iQ and freezes everything and says it must be shut down. I shut the truck down, turn the iQ off then back on and fire the truck up and everything is good. It has not happened while driving or anything, it is always when I first start the truck? I've already verified all my connections are good, next thing I was going to check what software it has, maybe needs an update?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked all my connections already and have replaced the bridge and harness going from the bridge to the IQ. Mine started in January when it was real cold, but I take my IQ if its going to be real cold or hot. It always needs to be restarted when I first start my truck, but if I start my truck later in the day again it usually comes right on, but as soon as I start driving it will go blank again. My tuner and IQ are both up to date on software. I thought at first it may have been the cold or my my batteries in my truck draining too much, but its in the 50's here now and its still doing the same thing. It's weird because I didn't have any issue like this until January. I'm just afraid its going to burn out the IQ as much as I have to restart it and it annoys me when it does it while driving.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've only had the iQ do it twice to me since the last update was applied. I'm still trying to pin down a pattern of some sort so I can give Banks some idea of when/why?

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Speedometer...

Yeah, I rely on mine as a speedometer as I'm running 37's and Ford can't correct for anything larger than 35's. When the thing quits 2 or 3 times during a trip, it's a pain. I take mine in every night because of CRIME in our area. I hope someone from Banks is reading this and taking some notes - it would be nice to find out what's causing it.

BTW, the truck is going to be spending a lot more time PARKED due to the Diesel prices and it's mileage. I bought an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee (20 mpg) on March 30th and that's become my new Daily Driver. I'll back the truck underneath the camper and leave it there for our weekend trips - maybe take it to work 1 day a week just to keep it running.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thankfully mine has not done it while driving yet, and mine still seems not so horrible as it's only in the morning when I first start it every once in a while. But there is something wrong for sure if we are all having the same problem. Maybe it's time to vote one of us into office as our spokesperson to contact Banks about our problem?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Jeff is supposed to be calling me today or tomorrow, I'll make sure I bring it up to him when I do.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Jeff is supposed to be calling me today or tomorrow, I'll make sure I bring it up to him when I do.
Ask about the stand alone one...can we update ours to tranfer to other vehicles? I sent a PM but he has not responded.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Will do, but I believe it's a completely different unit. I believe, in order to upgrade you would have to replace your existing iQ. But will confirm.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ok, I talked to Jeff earlier and this is what I got.

Regarding the first problem. If the screen Freezes and then goes Blank. Take a look under the dash/steering column and look at the bridge. If the light is green, then it's an issue with the iQ. If the light is red, then it's probably an issue with the Bridge itself. Either case, call tech support explain the problem and tell them what color your light is.

Regarding the 2nd question. There are currently two models of the iQ out in the world, one with the power switch on the side of the iQ (A3) and the other with the power switch on top of the iQ (A5). At this time, the A5 can be upgraded (paid upgrade) to the Universal model by installing the upgraded software on the iQ and installing an upgraded communications cable from the bridge to the iQ.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I've got my iQ problem down to a science. It will only freeze and show the grey warning box when I first start the truck in the morning after it has sat for 9-10 hours overnight. It will not do it under any other circumstances. This entire past week I've purposely gone out on a million errands durring the day letting the truck sit for different lengths of time inbetween returning trying to make it screw up. The ambient temp./different length time/distance of the trip... nothing mattered. The truck started without any issues every time. It is ONLY screwing up after sitting for an extended period of time over night. Dont know if it has to do with the temperature at night (which only gets down to about 40*), but starting tonight I'm going to try bringing it in two night in a row and leaving it out two nights in a row and see what results I get? I guess it could be alot worse, it's just quirky.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I truely don't beleive there is anything wrong with it either. Just a communication/Boot error when powering up. Most of the time mine does just fine. I routinely leave it in and then start the truck first thing in the am no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
EVO B mine is alot like yours. It will act up after sitting for long periods, but is fine during quick starts. It only goes out once in awhile during travel. That's what was making me think it was something to do with battery life in the truck? I can look at my bridge and it looks like it should be working but the IQ is still blank.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hmm, mine started doing the same thing. Went on a short trip (150 miles) and twice my IQ changed from the the power screen to the gage placement screen and froze! while driving, shut it off and turned it back on and it worked for a while longer.

I never had this issue until I download banks latest sofware flash.

Now here is where it get really weird, the day I update the IQ and drove to our lake house (125 miles) my fuel mileage jumped straight up! Normally I get 9.5 to 11.4 on that trip, empty and 65 mph, this time I seen 13 mpg on the gage cluster and 15 on the IQ!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was happy... never seen it again, i'm back in the 9's:thdown: How can that be?

PS. my truck is a 2008 F450 with 4:88's

·
Registered
464 Posts
Those of you with this issue please PM me the following:

1) What iQ software version do you have?

2) What bridge software version do you have?

3) Is this with a six gun only or a six gun and speed brake?

4) Do you have the A3 or A5 iQ?

I have our engineering team working on this now and this info will help us fix it for you:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those of you with this issue please PM me the following:

1) What iQ software version do you have?

2) What bridge software version do you have?

3) Is this with a six gun only or a six gun and speed brake?

4) Do you have the A3 or A5 iQ?

I have our engineering team working on this now and this info will help us fix it for you:D
Bankspower thanks for the reply.
  1. I believe I have 1.63? but i will need to hook it to me pc to find out for sure unless it says somewhere on the IQ.
  2. How do I find out what version of bridge I have?
  3. Six gun/IQ
  4. I think it is the A3, power switch is on the side.
Dan

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I will check mine this evening

1 - 20 of 79 Posts