The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Oh yeah and NYB the painted witness marks you saw were placed there by Arundel Diesel.
They assemble,torque and balance the assembly. Once the computer says it a go they put witness marks on it so everything ends up in the same spot after you disassemble it and reassemble it in the rebuild process.
Really NYB ? You know I would have blown an eyelash or dust of that.lol.

Of course you knew I was teasing you about the greem paint. I think you should have posted that pic in answer to the question about how the balance is restored on reassembly. But perhaps your turbo was baking in your kitchen at that time.

Looks like you've started a trend... "Nick's Crispy Compressor Cookbook"

That looks real nice Nick , now you have all that done you might be able to mow the lawns.:lol::lol:

Now install the compressor wheel to 120 inch pounds.
If you had assembly balanced snug and tighten wheel till the witness marks made by shop on shaft and wheel align.
Next place cover on and torque to 17 ft lbs.
Are you saying torque to 120 inch pounds and then snug further to align witness marks? Also, how do you ensure that the centrifugal force of the turbo under operating conditions won't change the position of the witness marks as it torques itself down further?

just torque it to the correct amount and forget it. it cant loosen itself off off and if it gets a little tighter there isnt anything you can do.

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
Hey you said your are doing up pipes I highly recommend the BD Performance stainless up pipe kit along with wrapping them, the collector and turbine side with the Thermo Tech turbo insulate kit, I got mine from XDP. The kit has tons in it. I triple header wrapped and aluminized heat barrier overlay my up pipes, collector and turbine housing and I was amazed how much it did in the way of quieting things and eliminating turbo lag.
In that project with that stuff off it is a good idea to put new heater hoses and couplers on.
Same for hpop hoses if they are ancient.

Hey you said your are doing up pipes I highly recommend the BD Performance stainless up pipe kit along with wrapping them, the collector and turbine side with the Thermo Tech turbo insulate kit, I got mine from XDP. The kit has tons in it. I triple header wrapped and aluminized heat barrier overlay my up pipes, collector and turbine housing and I was amazed how much it did in the way of quieting things and eliminating turbo lag.
In that project with that stuff off it is a good idea to put new heater hoses and couplers on.
Same for hpop hoses if they are ancient.
That's something I'll have to consider. Which heater hoses are you referring to? As for the up pipe wrapping, what is the cost and how noticeable was the reduction in turbo lag (not entirely sure what that is by the way)?

Discussion starter · #35 · (Edited)
The turbo insulate kit gives you everything for around $100 dollars.
Turbo lag is that period of time it takes for the turbo to spin up and build pressure. The kit holds the heat in which in turn shortens that time. It reduces heat under the hood as well.
The up pipe kit is new exhaust that eliminates leaking donut seals that when leaking hurt turbo performance and often time make an audible tick.
The heater hoses that are back at firewall that will be accessible when your turbo is off.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
That is the kit I used. It has a ton of material in it. I did find a typographical error in their packaging and called the factory. The cardboard pkg states kit includes a sheet that is something like two feet by three feet. It was a typo and factory was embarrassed.
It gave me enough to triple header wrap the up pipes.
I did discover it quieted things. The responsiveness of that thermal expansion without an over fueling injector is very nice.

Just curious on following;
Now your turbo is ready to install the actuator.
They need to be preloaded with tension or you will have waste gate flutter.
Some do 6 wraps of turn buckle and then pull on it with vise grips to get end onto post.
You can hook up compressed air to the actuator and watch gauge as the gate lever starts to move and adjust accordingly.
Take your time.

So what is the actual adjustment? When it opens or how fast? Is there better pressures or does it make much difference?

Great write up. I am also curious about the paint on the turbo. I painted my cooler tubes and was told it effects temp holding and I should not have. I never noticed a difference but still learning too. One day my kids will use less of my money and I can stop reading and actually do these mods I have been waiting a year to do. A final install pic would be nice. A turbo that nice must mate to a real nice engine.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.