The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 250 6.7l diesel 76,000 approx miles. Do not know history, How do I know when to change the two fuel filters ,will the display tell when ?

Thanks RGVal

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If the previous owner or the tech reset the filter monitor, it will tell you. Most seem to change the fuel filter ever second oil change (15k) instead of waiting till 22.5K miles.

Do you know who serviced the truck for oil changes, etc? If a Ford dealer or Quick Change, then it will show up on an Oasis report or the Ford app FordPass.

A filter, frame and engine, cost about $65. If unsure, you can go ahead and change them.

When changing the frame filter, loosen the cup 3 turns to break the siphoning effect before opening the yellow drain valve.

When installing the new frame filer, lube the large o-ring with clean engine oil prior to installing the filter cup.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Larry, CUSTOMER PAY service items DO NOT SHOW ON OASIS which will only provide the warranty history.

RGVal, the answer is simple. If you do not have a documented history you have no idea when the filters were changed and the truck will not know or tell you. If you want piece of mind go ahead and change them and begin your own service documentation. You could remove the primary filter cap and inspect the element however you would need a new o-ring for the cap and reusing them is not recommended.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Keith. Thank you. I did not know that. I thought if you had the truck serviced, oil change, filters, etc, at the dealer or Quicklane it would show. Will add to my tidbits of useful but not always needed knowledge bank in the old brain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as always this forum does not fail. Thank you,

FYI the cheapest price I found was at 1Aauto parts @ $95.00 ,NAPA was $130.ish did not check with dealer.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
as always this forum does not fail. Thank you,

FYI the cheapest price I found was at 1Aauto parts @ $95.00 ,NAPA was $130.ish did not check with dealer.
Fuel filters aren't cheap. I only get mine at the dealer but my parts guy is a friend so I get a deal. Maybe not much as Ebay but cheaper than Joe Blow LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all that responded to my call for help I did find OEM filters from Ford on Amazon for $67. and change with free shipping.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
So, in my 12 I found a fuel filter reset. Is it a reminder that pops up telling when it is time to replace it? I don't know the filter history, so it is on my to-do list to replace them.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
So, in my 12 I found a fuel filter reset. Is it a reminder that pops up telling when it is time to replace it? I don't know the filter history, so it is on my to-do list to replace them.
Yes, a fuel filter change required message will come up on the message center and there is one for the oil and filter as well as the coolant. It works fine but as you pointed out you don't know the history. You don't know if the warning was just reset to get it off the dash or if the filters were done and the warning not reset at the proper time. My theory is a lot of people blow off those messages and a lot of mechanics don't know that these things need resetting when these services are completed. So as your ownership of this truck progresses I am sure they will sync up. More information can be found in your Owner's Guide in the glove box.

·
Premium Member
4,118 Posts
Is it a reminder that pops up telling when it is time to replace it?
Yes, it's just a mileage reminder tagged to that service. Replace the filters, go into the options, reset the "filter life" and drive till it pops again. Or be a little OCD with reminding yourself with the next mileage interval every time you get in the truck....LOL...For some reason 150k enters my mind every time I get into my truck....LOL

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'll get new filters for it next month and get them changed out before winter just to be on the safe side. Good news is the fuel bowl is dry, no water detected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts