The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just curious about roughly how long a pair of batteries should last? I went out this morning and the pickup was dead. Cleaned the terminals as they were pretty dirty. My batteries were installed in January of 2012, almost 4 years ago. I think that they usually should last a minimum 5 years?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Esson

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Anymore any time past 3 years or their warranty period is shear luck.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I change mine at 4 year intervals whether they need it or not. The ones I had before my current ones, didn't make it 4 years.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had a pair of Motorcraft batteries that I replaced after about 4.5 years. The next set was a pair of Die Hard Gold batteries that went almost 6 years. I replaced them when I got 2 "barely cranks" in one day. My new batteries are Motorcraft. I think the 2 situations where the engine barely cranked may have just been a bad connection. The same thing happened once with the new Motorcraft batteries.

A lot of a battery's life is influenced by the climate where the truck is at. Extremely hot weather can shorten their life. My truck was in the northeast for the 6 years that I had the Die Hard batteries. Had some difficult cold starts when I did not have access to power for the block heater.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to all! I'm a thinking that they are just coming close to end of life like everyone is saying. Almost 4 years seems to be the norm. I'm not sure about the warranty tho and will take it in tomorrow and have them checked out, hope the warranty isn't up and maybe I'll at least get a pro-rate on them!
Again, thank you to all!
Esson

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
a couple years ago I traded my 20+ year old 12V battery charger for a new electronic "smart" charger that has an internal de-sulfonation cycle. (Basically it raises the charge voltage higher than my old charger and charges at several different voltage rates.) I found it increased the longevity between re-charges of my deep-cycle batteries and so I now use one on my Starter batteries also. I do alot of short distance driving that seldom allows the alternator to run long enough to top off the battery voltage.

I am hoping it will help to extend their usable life.

I also perform the other maintenance practices every 6 months like cleaning the tops with baking soda and removing any corrosion from terminals. Checking cables and connections. I also use a Battery Protector Spray made by CRC.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Arcticdriver! I'll have to check this charger out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
keeping your batteries clean helps prolong the life of them as well. the gunk that forms on top is actually conductive. Don't believe me? try it out with a voltmeter. I cant speak on 350 battery life but I had a 7 year battery in my impala. it made it 6.5 before it had to be replaced. now they only give a 5 year battery. I prefer the duralast gold. I think they are made in Tennessee.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mouseys, I had the bats checked, they are a 5 year and they test good. The corrosion was creating them dying. I was getting 16 volts while it was running with the corrosion and after cleaning them I have 12.5-13 volts so yes the corrosion does make a big difference. Thank you again.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
It always helps to give them a baking soda bath every now and then just to keep them clean and the acid that accumulates on top of them off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts