The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader first time poster. I just installed a pair of woofers and while doing the install I had the doors open for a few hours. The batteries ran low and the truck would crank but not start. I charged it up for a few hours and it started fine but now its running rough with no power? I'm getting a little white smoke out of the tailpipe. I had no problems prior to the batteries running low. I pulled all the fuses out and checked them, all are fine. I pulled the 2 relays next to the fuse box under the hood and cleaned and put them back. I'm stuck, any ideas?

My truck is a 2000, f250, 7.3, 6 speed, 160,000mi, xlt, crew cab, long bed.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
my first question would be what size AMP or AMP's and what battery there connected to.. as far as running rough, might not have anything to do with a stereo install.. need more info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The amp is a 1000w, connected to the passenger side battery. When I was connecting wires to the back of the radio I grounded out the 12v constant wire. it popped the radio fuse so I replaced that. I think a surge of power may have made it to one of the engine control modules and fried it? its just odd that I have had no problems and now after messing with the radio it wont run.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
i agree.. so it wont even start, but crank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
starts and runs very poorly. sounds just like the 7.3 in this video. fast forward to 3:40 to hear rough idle if you dont want to listen but the problem he is describing may be the problem I have. i put it on a code reader and the reader would not pull the code. check engine light is on.

"7.3 Diesel Powerstroke misfire runs rough code P1316 injector wire harness connection"

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
a generic code reader wont read the PSD codes.. if thats what your truck sounds like then most definately its your UVCH (under valve cover harness).. similar thread right not on top of Active Topics.. usually its your drivers side.. and as KLHansen said unplug the outside harness which is on top on the valve cover, in the middle.. if not change on running rough its guaranteed its your UVCH

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Left my SIL place, drove 20 miles, stopped at the off ramp, started up after stop, SES lite came on and running ruff. Pulled codes, #4 & #8 low voltage, buzz test showed no buzz on those two. In the process of replaceing UVCH on drivers side, with valve cover off and UVCH held on with a couple of bolts the engine is running fine, SES went off. The original UVCH looks just fine, but must be bad. This on my 99.5. Buzz and Continuity test's OK, no codes present. Moral of the story, what looks good, ain't so. Reference previous post. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/all-sudden-stumbling-306684/

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Low voltage could cause it to run rough. Dome lights go off after about 5min with the doors being open. You may have a voltage drain some where. I would pull the amp connection from the battery and the fuse for the radio. Then if it still does not hold a charge, load test the batteries INDIVIDUALLY. Check voltage before starting, then check alt output after starting. You could ohm check the uvch plugs, but I wouldn't open anything up until I checked all of that first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
....And don't just visually check fused and connections, use a multimeter to check continuity and DC voltage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, thanks everyone for the insight! I've been so busy with work I have not had time to mess with it. I have a battery charger on the truck so it should be fully charged when I have time to do anything with it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
A search on batteries will yield a wealth of info, short story is you could have one bad battery. after charge, before start pull both grounds and 1 positive off of the batteries. check voltage on each battery. They should be 12.6 to 12.9 depending. If one is in the 11 volt or less range you have one bad battery. quick test is to start on one battery with both ground and positive disconnected on the presumed bad battery. If it runs smooth, then you may have found you problem. Of course, keeping the positive disconnected terminal away from grounding points is highly advised, as you could cause more problems

Good Luck, Coolhand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts