The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purcased 2015 6.7l diesel 5mos. ago No issues but planning 4-5000 mile road trip soon and wanted to ask>If there a test that can tell the condition of the batteries ? One is Motor Craft with a round sticker 3/17 It is has serial # 021817 Other is No brand name but "Ozark Automotive Dist. Springfield ,Mo. I believe it to be from "O'Reilly"? It also has same type of sticker with 5/18. Can I take those stickers to be date of install or date of manufacture?

Last question will truck still start if one battery dies?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Those mm/yy stickers are the last time the battery was “serviced”. The battery is manufactured and then received by a regional distributor. This distributor then delivers the battery to a retailer such as O’Reilleys Auto Parts.

About every month the regional distributor makes the rounds to this retailer to deliver new batteries, take away old battery cores for recycling and, to take back any batteries that have sat on the shelf for about 3 months (based on the date sticker you see).

Once back at the distribution warehouse, the battery is inspected and given a fresh charge and the old date sticker is removed and a new date sticker is applied with the current mm/yy. This battery is then rotated back out to a retail store in the region.

(Typically there will be a policy that a battery can remain in this circulation for maybe 12-18 months before being removed from retail sale.)

It is an encouraged practice to use two identical batteries in a dual system like our diesels. Same brand, same size, same age—this is the way to get the greatest longevity from the batteries because a weak battery paired with a new strong battery will place a greater demand on that new battery and result in it having a shorter life.

Also, if one battery of the pair is older (weaker) then there might not be sufficient amperage to meet the starting demands of your truck, especially in cold weather starting.

You can have a load test performed on your batteries. This is more involved than just testing the voltage. A battery can have 12.6 volts (a full charge) yet still fail a load test.

But if one of yours fails this load test then be prepared to replace both if you want to follow manufacturer recommendation.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Some batteries have the production date hot stamped (melted) into the plastic case.

You should be ok on the trip. My 2015 was built in May of 2014 and the original batteries have shown no signs of being weak even after the truck sits 2 to 4 weeks at a time without being started. I would not hesitate to take my truck on a road trip. Plan on traveling from Alabama to the Denver area this summer pulling my 5th wheel with no plans of replacing the batteries prior to the trip.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is an encouraged practice to use two identical batteries in a dual system like our diesels. Same brand, same size, same age—this is the way to get the greatest longevity from the batteries because a weak battery paired with a new strong battery will place a greater demand on that new battery and result in it having a shorter life.

Also, if one battery of the pair is older (weaker) then there might not be sufficient amperage to meet the starting demands of your truck, especially in cold weather starting.

You can have a load test performed on your batteries. This is more involved than just testing the voltage. A battery can have 12.6 volts (a full charge) yet still fail a load test.

But if one of yours fails this load test then be prepared to replace both if you want to follow manufacturer recommendation.
This. I always replaced both of my batteries at the same time. Always went with the dealer batteries, just because everything else was done there. But as said, always same time, same brand.

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
When and if you have a load test done you need to disconnect the batteries from each other. I usually just undo the ground on the battery being tested.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
You should be ok on the trip. My 2015 was built in May of 2014 and the original batteries have shown no signs of being weak even after the truck sits 2 to 4 weeks at a time without being started. I would not hesitate to take my truck on a road trip. Plan on traveling from Alabama to the Denver area this summer pulling my 5th wheel with no plans of replacing the batteries prior to the trip.
Two mismatched batteries of unknown Cranking Amps and date stickers 14 month apart and the owner has no knowledge of their history.

With any luck you will be carrying jumper cables on your summer road trip for when he can’t start his truck on his summer road trip. 😉

Heck, you are probably right, he will probably be fine, but if it were me, I would do like the OP and get them tested.

·
Registered
581 Posts

Thanks again
Probably not. Because the batteries are wired in parallel if one battery fails it will likely drain the good one. I replaced the batteries in my truck last year because of a no start. I charged and load tested both of them, one failed the other passed. I kept the one that checked good for my son for his trailer and it still tests good. In my trucks and any dual battery trucks that come into my shop I always replace the batteries in matched pairs if either fail.

Also, I am pretty sure that if the BCM detects too much of a drop in the battery voltage when cranking it protects the starter by not cranking, you just get a rapid clicking from the starter. This will occur with one bad battery.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Purcased 2015 6.7l diesel 5mos. ago No issues but planning 4-5000 mile road trip soon and wanted to ask>If there a test that can tell the condition of the batteries ? One is Motor Craft with a round sticker 3/17 It is has serial # 021817 Other is No brand name but "Ozark Automotive Dist. Springfield ,Mo. I believe it to be from "O'Reilly"? It also has same type of sticker with 5/18. Can I take those stickers to be date of install or date of manufacture?

Thanks again
Yes, there is a test that can tell the condition of the batteries. Bring your batteries into any O'Reilly Auto Parts store for a complete diagnostic check at no charge.

Yes, Ozark Automotive Dist. Springfield, MO is a subsidiary of O'Reilly Auto Parts.

No, your truck probably will not start if one battery dies.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
If not cold out, your truck should start and run on one battery as long as the dead battery was removed from the circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts