The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replacing both batteries in my 04 excursion (6.0) this afternoon> The positive terminal on the passenger side was badly corroded and when I tried to lift it off the battery the positive cable coming from the driver side that is crimped into the terminal just snapped off. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a fix, but the back end of the terminal connector is also a crimped connection to another positive lead and no wiggle room to work on this.

Anyone else have this happen? is it just break down and buy the whole assembly - or is there an easier fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
This photo album shows how to repair it correctly under $15:

This is another option:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5FXCI/[/ame]

·
Registered
704 Posts
I recently redid my battery cables with new terminals using NOCO TZKIT3 Lead-Free Military Grade Zinc Battery Terminal Kit.

The kit was $9. I have about another $40 in new terminal lugs and 00-AWG welding cable between the batteries now. Best part is, you don't have to take the terminals off the battery when servicing things.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
If you need it now and can't wait a week for shipping to occur just go down to your local NAPA parts store and pick up a cable assembly.

Done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Called a good diesel guy in town (worked for Ford for 20+ years) and he said WHY pay the $300 for the ford harness when you can go to the battery guy in town and he'll rebuild your cables in an hour.

I did. And DONE - all for $46.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
Called a good diesel guy in town (worked for Ford for 20+ years) and he said WHY pay the $300 for the ford harness when you can go to the battery guy in town and he'll rebuild your cables in an hour.

I did. And DONE - all for $46.
I wish my town had a "battery guy" that worked that cheap.

Heck, I am not even sure my town has a guy who will do that work.

:grin2:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
I recently redid my battery cables with new terminals using NOCO TZKIT3 Lead-Free Military Grade Zinc Battery Terminal Kit.

The kit was $9. I have about another $40 in new terminal lugs and 00-AWG welding cable between the batteries now. Best part is, you don't have to take the terminals off the battery when servicing things.
I realize this is an old post but I'm dealing with corroded terminals on my 2005 Excursion and have been planning to upgrade my alternator so it makes sense to upsize the battery cables as well.

Can you post a photo of your batteries with your current cable setup that you described in the post from last year?

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts
I realize this is an old post but I'm dealing with corroded terminals on my 2005 Excursion and have been planning to upgrade my alternator so it makes sense to upsize the battery cables as well.
There's no need to upsize the battery cables for a higher amp alternator, just the cable between the junction at the battery cables and the alternator. The battery cables are already sized for starting current, which is WAY more than any alternator you put on will put out. Unless the battery cables are corroded or otherwise deteriorated, there's no need to change them out.

·
Registered
808 Posts
There's no need to upsize the battery cables for a higher amp alternator, just the cable between the junction at the battery cables and the alternator. The battery cables are already sized for starting current, which is WAY more than any alternator you put on will put out. Unless the battery cables are corroded or otherwise deteriorated, there's no need to change them out.
Thanks for the reply. Yep, my cable terminal on the drivers side battery is falling apart. I'm having a tough time finding a replacement terminal end for it so I figured this would be the time to just upgrade the entire cable assembly.

Based on your comment, I don't need to.

·
Registered
704 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
KCastle,
You appear to be missing one green felt ;-)

So are the cables original and only the terminals new? Or did he build the entire length new?

·
Registered
808 Posts
That looks like a great setup. I'd like to just replace the terminal ends and reuse the current cable but assume I'd have to purchase a hydraulic assisted crimper to ensure a good connection.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I see nothing wrong with the “bare copper” ends. Just replaced six 6V batteries in a motorhome 5 years old. A touch of spray and a minute of 150 grit paper and they look like they will go another 5 years at least.

Only reason the batteries were replaced was the owner never checked the water and boiled them dry.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
That looks like a great setup. I'd like to just replace the terminal ends and reuse the current cable but assume I'd have to purchase a hydraulic assisted crimper to ensure a good connection.
I made my own cables last year. There is a tool that you can use a small sledge hammer with. I use it a lot at work when we add a second battery in an RV.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I made my own cables last year. There is a tool that you can use a small sledge hammer with. I use it a lot at work when we add a second battery in an RV.
I'll have to check that out. I also own an RV. It's got four 6 volt house batteries and two 12 volt chassis batteries.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I’ll post a pic when I go to work in the morning.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
That’s the one. Thanks for posting.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts