The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello first off I'm new here so I don't really know how to find my way to see if there was a post about this already so sorry in advance but I have a 1997 f250 with two new batteries a new alternator, new wiring that goes into the alternator, I cleaned the ground wires and checked them, I checked all the fuses and still will wont charge??

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Welcome!

Just to verify, you are getting the battery light illuminating on the dash? I assumed that from your post title. If not, I would check for 12V at the Light Green/Red Stripe wire on the 3-wire connector at the alternator with the key in START or RUN position. If that is good, I would check for continuity between the Yellow/White Stripe wire on the 3-wire connector and the Starter Relay on the passenger side inner fender and also the same for the big Black/Orange Stripe wire at the alternator and the Starter Relay. The BK/O and Y/W wire come together and then have a 12 Ga Gray Fusible Link to the Starter Relay. If those check out, I would probably have the new alternator bench-tested. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
...I have a 1997 f250 with two new batteries a new alternator, new wiring that goes into the alternator...
Why exactly was each part replaced? Did each new part pass the same test that the original failed?
...I cleaned the ground wires and checked them...
Exactly which wires exactly where? How exactly & for what did you check them?

This shows how the charging system works:

This explains it in detail:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after a few days of checking everything I found out half the wires weren't even hooked up and some were hooked up backwards. So everything is charging now thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts