The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my battery light came on and my dash lights and gauges shut down. A/c came on also. Truck ran fine and I just checked both batteries and alternator. Everything seems good. Any ideas why this is happening?

·
Registered
806 Posts
When you say you checked your batteries and alternator, what did you do to check them? I'm guessing by your screenname you have a 2011? Are these the original batteries? If so, they are on their way out. Give us more info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok yeah so it's 2011 f350 6.7 105000 miles. Checked voltage while truck was off. 12 volts. When truck was running it was 14.5 Both batteries. I just took it out for another ride and the battery light is still on and I noticed the idol is a little higher than usual Like 800 or so. I did not lose gauges in this last test ride. I want to say both batteries are original.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The batteries need to be isolated from each other to the tested. One of the batteries might be bad.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If it's the original batteries, they are going out on you. Mine went a few months back. When you get new ones, be sure and get both. Don't get just one thinking it'll be okay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I isolated each battery and the readings were same. I tried to start and run truck on 1 battery at a time and one would not start truck. I swapped the battery with my van battery and still have the same battery light on with high idle. Dealer is going to rape me for this repair I'm sure.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Keep us updated and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
One of my 2011 batteries died exactly 5 years after build date. I replaced both. Ford had the best deal. I upgraded to the 850 amp hour.

·
Registered
806 Posts
One of my 2011 batteries died exactly 5 years after build date. I replaced both. Ford had the best deal. I upgraded to the 850 amp hour.
That's exactly what I did. I priced batteries all around, and ended up getting them from the dealer. Now I put them in myself, which was interesting. My radio was dead afterwards. I thought I would have to take it to the dealer anyway. But I disconnected them both, reconnected and the radio came back to life. A "phew" moment for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts