The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some insight on what my issues might be. Bought a early 99 7.3 with trans issues. Vehicle will not upshift into 2nd gear electronically but does manually. Im not a trans tech but work on fords everyday so I checked codes and have 2nd gear incorrect ratio. Fluid is full and clean, all gears and shifts work properly including downshift into 2nd when slowing down then it will shift into 3rd fine. Will skip 2nd completely when starting from a stop. Used rotunda transmission tester and had a shift solenoid out of spec. Replaced solenoid pack and now have 21-23 ohms on both shift solenoids. When running the truck with trans tester all solenoids are commanded and not shorted but still does the same thing.
Tear down trans and find burnt clutches but other than that nothing out of the ordinary. Replaced all clutches, steels and gaskets. Reassemble and truck still does the exact same thing. Replaced accumulator body still no change. Trans air test fine and mechanically works as designed. Im guessing main control or case at this point but was hoping Mark would chime in.

Also for those unfamiliar with the trans tester it plugs directly into the trans and bypasses all factory wiring and pcm so I have eliminated those as options. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,076 Posts
Why would you replace the accumulator body, but not check the valve body? The accumulator body can't cause a no 1-2, but a stuck 1-2 shift valve in the main valve body would cause the exact symptoms that you have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts