The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that some of you have removed your truck bed to work on your fuel tanks. I have this task coming up and so I was wondering what your experience was? I might also add that I have experience installing a new fuel tank laying on my back so I know what that entails. How did you go about it? Did you utilize a tree branch with block and tackle or wench it off back wards? Seems like there would be a lot of wire disconnects. Thank you for any responses.

·
Premium Member
14,602 Posts
I'm sure the OBS is the same or very similar. Very few wires to disconnect. There are 1-2 plugs in the rear where the wiring along the frame jumps to the taillight wiring and trailer connection. You can either get 4 friends to help lift or cut a 2x4 to fit under your bed rails to lift with an engine hoist or whatever you've got. Also, don't forget to disconnect the fill hose at the fill door(s)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
RT has it nailed. Only thing I do is leave the rear bolts on but with only 2 or 3 threads in the nut. That way it can't slip and hit the ground. I use a strap across the front stake holes and my engine hoist.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I remove the D/S bolts and loosen the P/S and then I slip a 1x1 steel tube into one of the tubes in the frame and jack that... after dealing with wiring of course. Gives access.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you have a open frame garage you can put a 4x4 across 6 rafters and use a come-along and lift it up enough to drive it out from under it. there was two plugs at the rear above my trailer hitch, one for each side. and if your going to leave if off for a bit two saw horses will hold the box.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I lifted mine off with a bucket loader and put a peice of plywood between the cab and bed/rear window, but 4 people lifting is no sweat too. totally worth taking the bed off for access to the tanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
its no sweat unless you have rust in the wheel wells. every truck i've ever owned i had to take the bed off for something or another and each one had really bad rust in the wheel wells so the sides of the bed kept moving as we were carrying it. talk about a circus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts